Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps and CD drag coefficient on the Model X ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happily own a model X 2016 since March 2nd 2019 (Tesla C.P.O.). I recently had the opportunity to read that people had concerns about the road-sand-blasting from the 10” wide front tires throwing a lot of small debris against the paint on the rear door and fender curvature. (Fortunately enough, nothing to do like on the Model 3, since a large portion is covered by a plastic molding on the model X). Many argued flaps may impair the aerodynamics CD. Hard to verify, I guess? I just add 2 front flaps only last Sunday. Never the less, Tesla offers to lower the suspension, I guess exactly to improve the CD, at a selected higher speed. Thus the flaps may have adetrimental effect indeed on the CX, as I may not be able to lower the car as much, over the 90 Km/h. (55 mph) setting I have chosen. At worst ,I may jhave to shorten the flaps a littlet? Or pray to have a nice even highway. I will let you know what’s happening with usage! Please, if you can share about your particular experiences?
Standard position standard position.jpg; Lowest position low position.jpg .

What looks nicer is in the eye of the beholder ;)

However, being one that had to have his FWD's repainted due to the sandblasting effect... I would be inclined to go for a mudflap that has a bit more width than the OP's pics show. In my experience, it's not the debris from the bottom of the tire that you need to worry yourself about... it's the tire extending out from the wheel well that is the issue.

For that reason alone, the eBay ones look to be more effective.

However, my ruined paint happened in the first 2500 miles. Since I had them repainted, I had Expel PPF installed, as well as a ceramic coating. With no mudflaps, I have zero paint issues on the FWD's and now have over 20K miles.

I would be inclined to invest in PPF rather than mess with CD.

What looks nicer is in the eye of the beholder ;)

However, being one that had to have his FWD's repainted due to the sandblasting effect... I would be inclined to go for a mudflap that has a bit more width than the OP's pics show. In my experience, it's not the debris from the bottom of the tire that you need to worry yourself about... it's the tire extending out from the wheel well that is the issue.

For that reason alone, the eBay ones look to be more effective.

However, my ruined paint happened in the first 2500 miles. Since I had them repainted, I had Expel PPF installed, as well as a ceramic coating. With no mudflaps, I have zero paint issues on the FWD's and now have over 20K miles.

I would be inclined to invest in PPF rather than mess with CD.

Some Similar Mudflaps I installed on a Model 3 (which is more efficient with better CD than an X) had zero efficiency impact adding mudflaps. And 99% of other Model 3 owners that got mud flaps had similar results.

I had zero paint damage on the Model 3 after a year (10k miles). But the car would be trashed to quickly without mudflaps. Same goes for Model X.

But the car would be trashed to quickly without mudflaps

You quoted my post... but maybe didn't read it? I don't have mud flaps, and my PPF has beautifully protected my car for 20K miles.

My nephew, who has a 3, had it PPF protected, and with 30K miles, it's perfect.

Mud flaps are not the end-all. They are an aesthetic choice that might have a slight benefit. There's nothing wrong with them... but to say the car would be trashed without them is incorrect and misleading.

You quoted my post... but maybe didn't read it? I don't have mud flaps, and my PPF has beautifully protected my car for 20K miles.

My nephew, who has a 3, had it PPF protected, and with 30K miles, it's perfect.

Mud flaps are not the end-all. They are an aesthetic choice that might have a slight benefit. There's nothing wrong with them... but to say the car would be trashed without them is incorrect and misleading.

When I say trashed, I mean I have to wash it, Not repaint it. The whole side of the car would be mud covered in 30 seconds on my dirt road. So I can go much longer before it needs a bath with mud flaps than with out.