Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put on OEM tonight. It looks to me like their profile matches the tire, so I am pretty happy with it. I guess we’ll see how well they protect over time.
On the passengers side, I did notice that the plastic was misaligned, a tab that should have been under another piece was overlapping instead, and I only had one rivet. I unscrewed some pieces and moved it around until they were correctly aligned and I could insert the rivet completely. That’s was disappointing, but I guess better to find that at 38 miles than later.

• Informative
Reactions: beezy
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VJDBYF...abc_WQBS0BVV1QSFQ1XWCBFM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered these from Amazon. Delivery was scheduled for the end of the month but I got them early. Installed them today and I think they look great. They match the black trim perfectly. Only negative is that you do need to drill into the car trim for the back mud flaps for 1 screw to hold it down. I didn’t want to drill into the car trim so I decided to use 3M double sided tape instead. Each mud flap is held on at 4 points so it’s on there pretty secure.

732C7FD1-4C25-4576-A762-B015D00D5750.jpeg
15DEF0DD-406A-4359-A036-64B72F511B2E.jpeg
EE14FA95-FF65-4A76-8448-2F9837F84708.jpeg

I have the Tesla OEM and Amazon molded versions, and should be receiving the Amazon "premium" molded versions on Monday. Will aim to post some notes and comparisons when I have a moment next week.

Thank you in advance. If I may, do they fit flush to the inside of the wheel well? There was a comment somewhere that at least one of the molded ones (possibly on a M3 or MX - I don't recall), tended to catch mud and road debris between the flap and the wheel well liner. I was thinking that perhaps I needed to buy some black silicone sealer, to close the gap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VJDBYF...abc_WQBS0BVV1QSFQ1XWCBFM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered these from Amazon. Delivery was scheduled for the end of the month but I got them early. Installed them today and I think they look great. They match the black trim perfectly. Only negative is that you do need to drill into the car trim for the back mud flaps for 1 screw to hold it down. I didn’t want to drill into the car trim so I decided to use 3M double sided tape instead. Each mud flap is held on at 4 points so it’s on there pretty secure.

View attachment 638302 View attachment 638303 View attachment 638301

They do look great! They also look wider and slightly longer than the other molded ones, but its hard to tell without a direct comparison. If true it would seem that they would protect better.

Hi all,

So I received the “Amazon Premium” versions yesterday so now have all 3 sets that are currently on the market. I hope the information that follows will help you make the right choice for your desires and vehicle.

All measurements and images shown on a 2021 Model Y Performance that is all stock.

Overall thoughts

Tesla OEM: Highest build quality. Lower ⅔ of the flap is a sturdy yet flexible material. Side that faces the wheel is flat. Width covers the entire contact area and profile of the tire to provide maximum protection. Looks a bit like a rally-style flap when on. Front only. Fit is OEM quality.

Amazon “Premium” molded: Soft-touch plastic material. Good build quality. As seen from the pics and photos, these are shorter and wider than the Amazon “Regular” flaps. For the fronts, the width covers the entire contact area and profile of the tire to provide maximum protection. Side that faces the tire is flat. Scratch fairly easily, however shouldn’t affect outward appearance - only on the side that face the wheel. Rears are comparable to the Regular in terms of coverage. Overall fit is slightly worse than Regular but not bad - just small details. Example: the hole for the OEM bolt you use for the fronts isn’t far enough out to account for the diameter of the washer on the bolt (you can still screw it in, just make sure it’s tight). The rear requires drilling into the plastic fender trim for one screw, however you can use double sided tape or just disregard it.

Amazon “Regular” molded (these are also what RPM is selling, and what you find on eBay): More basic plastic construction. For the fronts, these are the narrowest and just barely cover the contact area on stock Pirelli’s but don’t cover the entire tire width. If you have a Michelin PS4AS, Vredestein AS, or another tire with a wider contact patch, these probably wouldn’t cover that entire contact area. However, they extend about an inch farther down than the Premium set, so what you give up in width you gain in length. The side that faces the tire has a repository to collect dirt, debris, snow, etc. This may be good or bad. Fit is good and follows the contours of the car a bit better than Premium. For the rears, fit and width of coverage is comparable to the Premium versions. OEM bolt hole has the same challenge as the Premium fronts. Hang down 3/4" more than the Premiums. No drilling required.

Front flaps, Front view
IMG_3501.jpg

Front flaps, Rear view
IMG_3500.jpg

Rear flaps, Front view

IMG_3503.jpg

Rear flaps, Review view

IMG_3502.jpg

Specs and pics on car

Tesla OEM

Purchase price (front only): $40
Ground clearance: 3.33”

IMG_3473.jpg

Amazon “Premium” molded

Purchase price (front and rear): $64
Front ground clearance: 4.55”
Rear ground clearance: 7.25”

Front
IMG_3490.jpg

Rear
IMG_3492.jpg

Amazon “Regular” molded

Purchase price (front and rear): $40
Front ground clearance: 4.25”
Rear ground clearance: 6.5”

Front
IMG_3479.jpg

Rear
IMG_3495.jpg

Conclusion

IMO, there is still no perfect mud flap for the Model Y. If someone combined the Amazon Premium width with the Regular length, that would be a winner in my book. OEM delivers the most protection by far if you like the design. But that said, it’s good to have these options out now.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just a heads up that I created the Reddit post linked below on my experience with the OEM Model Y mud flaps.

From my experience, the OEM ones still allow gravel to get flung underneath (reaching the lower black plastic trim, which I expected) and to the sides (hitting the door, which I did not expect) of the mud flaps. I put back on my set of EVmudflaps which extend out more sideways compared to OEM to help better protect the paint.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY/comments/lp4v9w/psa_oem_tesla_model_y_mud_flaps_still_cause

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Good write ups everyone. Love the comparison pics. Ordered the Amazon premium flaps.
For what it’s worth, I have the Amazon premium ones and they wiggle around a bit to the point where I am sending them back. I have seen the RPM versions and they seem to be pretty securely attached (refer to their installation video). I have also seen the RPM one at their facility and I think that’s the one I’m going to go with. It does not offer the same protection as the OEM but I’m not interested in the rally look either.