Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some fairly severe paint damage (Red Multicoat) to both rear doors from driving in the snow this winter. I have 5k miles and less than half of it was in snow. That said I did install front and rear mud flaps ASAP, but by the time I had installed them the damage was done. I went ahead because at this rate the paint would be totally gone next year and it would become a corrosion problem too.
Note that I did not see any damage behind the rear tires so the rear flaps are probably unnecessary.
Another thing to note is that I have some considerable erosion to the leading edge of the rear doors where the PPF does not cover unless it is wrapped around that edge (probably should wrap the bottom edges too).
I cannot seem to be able to upload the pictures but one the rear flares the paint has been eroded through to the base white coat below over several square inches and the edge of the rear passenger door is worn through to the white also..
Not that this news will help heal the paint damage on your Model Y but I just placed a magnet on the doors of my Model Y. As expected the door panels are not ferrous metal, i.e. the panels are made of aluminum as is the hood. The front fenders, rear quarter panels, hatch and roof rails are all ferrous metal, i.e. steel. The door panels won't corrode.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I have circled in yellow, what I was asking about. After reading the comments and looking closer, I agree it is a reflection. Its a lot cleared if you click on the photo which grays it out and makes the reflected items pop out more. Sorry.

Unknown item circled in yellow.jpg

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I have circled in yellow, what I was asking about. After reading the comments and looking closer, I agree it is a reflection. Its a lot cleared if you click on the photo which grays it out and makes the reflected items pop out more. Sorry.

View attachment 652785
Looks like a Dyson (or similar) stick style vacuum to me