Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear of the Model Y, from the rear edge of the roof glass on down, gets covered in dust, dirt, pollen etc. This is from the air and rain, etc. flowing over the vehicle while driving. The dirt accumulates on the lower part of the hatch and the rear bumper well away from the rear wheels. When I wash my Model Y with ONR and a cross cut sponge I can see everywhere that dirt accumulates on the exterior of my Model Y. I have only observed a very small amount of mud, etc. on the lowest part of the black plastic trim behind the rear wheels. This is not enough road splatter to make me want to install rear mud flaps.

If you want to use the Tesla mud flaps for the front wheels but want to add rear mud flaps you can buy a set of mud flaps on Amazon or eBay and just install the rear mud flaps.

I am not sure the Tesla ones offer enough up front. Also keep in mind, PPF isn't indestructible. Pretty common knowledge too that Tesla's paint isn't the best. The LR has most of its power in the rear motor. I would go for protection vs looks in the winter. That is just me. I hated MPLS winters and don't miss them nowl

These might be an interesting option.

Here is a 24 page thread of mudflaps that might have better options.
For someone who drove in my state please let me know your thoughts on his statement here: It does make sense, but again you drive the MY in my area so I’d like your input.
Post in thread 'Mud flaps & Model Y'
Mud flaps & Model Y

Are the RA mud flaps feasible to install/uninstall every 6 months? Do any 3rd party mud flaps screw on instead of using clips?
Depends on your threshold for effort. In my opinion, no. The RA flaps essentially use drywall anchors in place of clips. I honestly don't know how to remove them without destroying them.

You could leave them in, but I honestly found it to be enough if a pain to screw into because they free spin I would never want to remove/reinstall since you need to apply a significant amount of pressure on the head of the bolt while installing. At that point it would be easier to remove the wheels.

Additional, they use a very aggressive upholstery clip to keep the upper half if the flap aligned to the trim. The bite of the teeth is aggressive enough where you may eventually cut through the trim or the flap over the years of you are not careful on removal.

If you're looking to remove semi-annually, I would go with the standard automotive clip type.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Depends on your threshold for effort. In my opinion, no. The RA flaps essentially use drywall anchors in place of clips. I honestly don't know how to remove them without destroying them.

You could leave them in, but I honestly found it to be enough if a pain to screw into because they free spin I would never want to remove/reinstall since you need to apply a significant amount of pressure on the head of the bolt while installing. At that point it would be easier to remove the wheels.

Additional, they use a very aggressive upholstery clip to keep the upper half if the flap aligned to the trim. The bite of the teeth is aggressive enough where you may eventually cut through the trim or the flap over the years of you are not careful on removal.

If you're looking to remove semi-annually, I would go with the standard automotive clip type.
Hey fellow Midwesterner! I’m debating on whether or not to go with Tesla’s mud flaps or the RA’s. Would you agree with this post?
Mud flaps & Model Y

Reactions: cancoi
Hey fellow Midwesterner! I’m debating on whether or not to go with Tesla’s mud flaps or the RA’s. Would you agree with this post?
Mud flaps & Model Y
What about the rear? I’m not sure about you, but here in WI when you drive in ice and snow that kicks up towards the rear panels and it gets caked on. Also, I just feel that front flaps look weird on their own.
Too early to tell with the MYLR with 19" Gemini's for me.

In my experience, though, they will help but not resolve completely. I would expect with salt you will have some spray above the mudflap, and behind, but it will mostly be salt water rather than solid debris. In my experience with my Subaru, the caked on snow will not get behind the mudflap and on below the rear bumper.

This guy has a pretty good picture of what slush gets stuck without the flaps.

Thread 'Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps' Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

I bought the Amazon (Carwiner/Abstract Ocean/RPMTesla/etc... these are literally all the same). I've seen multiple videos on these mudflaps, people praising them. Here's a 100% honest review, they do not fit the car's lines, they are a different color plastic, they look like pure crap. They do about the same as the Tesla OEM mudflaps (which I also own).

Tesla OEM mudflaps (only front), go with the car, but they really need to put out rear mudflaps and maybe make them a tad wider.

RallyArmor mudflaps (front/rear), are pricey, but I'll be damned, I love them. I think they could go with a duller color to better match the cars' plastic panels. Aside from that, they look great, they work the best out of the three options.

Attachments

• IMG_7237.jpg
    IMG_7237.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 4,903
Glad you like the RA ones. To me, they look like something I would pick up for my old Ford F100 from a Pilot truck stop. I liked the RAs on my WRX when I was in the snow and slush but I definitely don't like how they look on the MY. I could go buy a big semi truck mudflap and cut it up and get about the same look for about $20 if I sourced a few fasteners.

I mostly deal with rain and the ones I got from Carwiner ones are working well. Thy keep the bulk of the road crap off my car and the rest is easy to wash off. They are also doing a pretty good job of keeping the rocks and pebbles from impacting the car. Looking at the sightlines from the part of the tires that are not covered by the flap, to the body areas that are exposed, the Amazon flaps are pretty good.

It isn't an acute angle so most of the force is going to be tangential. So while it may not block it 100% off the front wheels, it isn't going to hit with a lot of force either. Sure given enough time, there might be some wear, but I am not in those non-stop conditions like a severe winter or out four-wheeling so to speak. From the rear wheels, it would be very difficult for much to impact the body. Obviously if your car is lowered, the might be even more effective and the RAs might be rubbing the ground if soemone went with one of the suspension kids and dropped the car a lot.

The Carwiner ones I have so far are definitely worth the money for me. I wouldn't want much lower as already have to watch some of the speed bumps in our area. Nice thing about the Carwiner or other Amazon one is quick to get, easy to try, if you don't like them send them back. If they work for you, you saved some money to spend on other accessories.

Reactions: ucsdsig
I read through this entire thread and I'm debating between Basenor and Nansure. Doesn't seem like much difference between them honestly.
I am worried about the screw on the back. I don't want the nut to break loose and then I have to go digging behind the wheel well on a brand new car. I saw one person say they just used the 2 clips and didn't fool with the screw on the back flaps. Anyone else done this? Does it work oK? Pictures?
Yes, I’m also interested to hear if the Basenor’s can be installed on the rear without the bolt.

Yes, I’m also interested to hear if the Basenor’s can be installed on the rear without the bolt.
I literally used garden shears and cut the plastic where the bolt goes and untightened the bolt slightly slipped it under and tightened it back up again
Another thing you can try that I did with the other car was use resin and apply it on the plastic since the hole cut out is the exact same size as the bolt and just glue the bottom part to it. NO issues still.

Basenor vs RPM = basenor.

I made a video if you wanna check too

I literally used garden shears and cut the plastic where the bolt goes and untightened the bolt slightly slipped it under and tightened it back up again
Another thing you can try that I did with the other car was use resin and apply it on the plastic since the hole cut out is the exact same size as the bolt and just glue the bottom part to it. NO issues still.

Basenor vs RPM = basenor.

I made a video if you wanna check too
Link to video please.

I bought a set of the Carwiner/Abstract Ocean/RPMTesla/etc flaps from Aliexpress for $16 shipped. They looked good, but then I also bought a set of the A-Premium flaps after seeing somebody else post them on the car.

Before I decided on which one to use, I held them both on the car (front & rear) to see which looked better, but more importantly which had more area coverage. The A-Premium flaps looked better overall and fit better, and they were also slightly bigger with more area coverage, so I went with those. I gave the other flaps to my friend and I'll probably have to help him install them this weekend.

Here's the only pic I took so far, but they have good coverage with my 265/35-21 tires on et30 wheels (which sit flush with the fenders). If I didn't have the mud flaps with these wheels, I'd probably kick up a ton of rocks down the side of my car.

Offset1.jpg

I bought a set of the Carwiner/Abstract Ocean/RPMTesla/etc flaps from Aliexpress for $16 shipped. They looked good, but then I also bought a set of the A-Premium flaps after seeing somebody else post them on the car.

Before I decided on which one to use, I held them both on the car (front & rear) to see which looked better, but more importantly which had more area coverage. The A-Premium flaps looked better overall and fit better, and they were also slightly bigger with more area coverage, so I went with those. I gave the other flaps to my friend and I'll probably have to help him install them this weekend.

Here's the only pic I took so far, but they have good coverage with my 265/35-21 tires on et30 wheels (which sit flush with the fenders). If I didn't have the mud flaps with these wheels, I'd probably kick up a ton of rocks down the side of my car.

Offset1.jpg
I have Tesla Shields mud flaps and they actually cover a lot more than those. Plus you don’t have to mess around with the bolt at all.
E82D8EB5-D5E9-4D8B-9EF0-4241C56CFB25.jpeg

Reactions: e645824