Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
re: the OEM flaps from Tesla -- does anyone else fear the car will look weird/unbalanced having the flaps only for the front? I think I would look at a vehicle with front flaps only and wonder what happened to the rears.

Sorry, IMO not about aesthetics here, front pair will do for now; maybe the rear pair will follow.
I do know my Model Y needs all the help it can get to stay clean and protect body.

Tesla doesn’t sell the rear flap for the model 3 either. This is just for paint protection I think. Since the strike zone is in front of the rear wheel. I don’t think paint damage has been an issue behind the rear wheels which is why they don’t sell rear flaps. I think RA sells them if people want flaps to truly keep the whole car cleaner from mud/dirt. For now the front flaps do the trick against paint chips.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Tesla doesn’t sell the rear flap for the model 3 either. This is just for paint protection I think. Since the strike zone is in front of the rear wheel. I don’t think paint damage has been an issue behind the rear wheels which is why they don’t sell rear flaps. I think RA sells them if people want flaps to truly keep the whole car cleaner from mud/dirt. For now the front flaps do the trick against paint chips.
Someone posted that a lot of the spray in front of the rear wheels actually come from the rear wheels. I purchased the Tesla OEM PPF for that area, so along with the front flaps I hope this will cover a lot of the car.

Reactions: gillfoto

Sorry, IMO not about aesthetics here, front pair will do for now; maybe the rear pair will follow.
I do know my Model Y needs all the help it can get to stay clean and protect body.

I have that same picture....though different rims.

Reactions: gillfoto
Just got the OEM front mud flaps. Extends further down than I thought and were super easy to install. The color doesn’t look like it matches the black trim but I think it’s due to my car is really dirty (haven’t washed it since I got it in October)?

Attachments

• 41B3AF30-0E2F-419E-B124-792E34C4ABBD.jpeg
    41B3AF30-0E2F-419E-B124-792E34C4ABBD.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 192
  • D9158FC3-F21B-4525-A9AC-E080BDCC9F1A.jpeg
    D9158FC3-F21B-4525-A9AC-E080BDCC9F1A.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 0EE33967-BAFD-4177-B04E-D7211F501E7D.jpeg
    0EE33967-BAFD-4177-B04E-D7211F501E7D.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Thanks @TinkyWinks! Was the install straightforward? (Looks like it would be, based on your 3rd picture.)

The color is noticeably different vs. the car's trim. Hopefully it's "just" dirt but really looks like it isn't.
Install took me less than 5 minutes. Just have to clean and pop out the existing pins.

Yeah it does seem the color isn’t an exact match after cleaning that area but I can’t really tell in person unless I take a really close look. Curious to see if other folks have the same match.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung