Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have paint damage like this or just me? Washed the car yesterday and noticed tons of damage on the rear doors in front of the rear wheels and a little on the plastic behind rear wheels.

This is a performance Y after 2 months of ownership and 4k miles driving on normal roads, no gravel or off-roading of any kind.

I need mud flaps and help on how to fix this.

View attachment 606282 View attachment 606283 View attachment 606285 View attachment 606286
Ours is just like this but with white paint. I was shocked. Definitely need some more choices for the MY.

Ours is just like this but with white paint. I was shocked. Definitely need some more choices for the MY.

Is yours a performance as well?
I wonder if it has to do with the size of the tires. (not that the crappy kalifornia paint job gets a pass)

the rear 21" tires are .8" wider than the 19's and 20's.
Do the 21's ( standard on the performance) stick out a little more than the 19's or 20's?

Last edited:
DANG, why would anyone put RallyArmor FUGLY flaps on their car (or manure wagon for that matter)

Personally, I want a quality mudflap that contours to the car's unique fenders and looks like it belongs,
Rally Armor's generic and WAY OVERPRICED - one size fits all, flat piece of rubber/plastic approach doesn't do it for me.
Maybe it would look good on a classic 1972 C10 pickup?

Walmart carries an equivalent to rally armor at a fraction of the price
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buyers-Products-3VUH3-PR-Mud-Flaps/912157714

Having used rally armor flaps in the past on my STi, I can attest that while the look is polarizing, you won’t find a molded flap that offers near the protection.

And your Walmart alternative is hardly comparable.

Reactions: beezy
Is yours a performance as well?
I wonder if it has to do with the size of the tires. (not that the crappy kalifornia paint job gets a pass)

the rear 21" tires are .8" wider than the 19's and 20's.
Do the 21's ( standard on the performance) stick out a little more than the 19's or 20's?
Yup! Sure is. We did just swap out and put 20” on there, but I don’t think it will make a difference. Really hoping some body color flaps will come soon enough.

I fabricated some temporary front end mud flaps until a real solution is available. I bought universal mud flaps from advance auto parts, trimmed them to follow MY wheel well lines, and mounted with trim screws and 3m trim adhesive tape at the top.

I couldn’t wait for a professional solution. Buffalo road salt would destroy my paint this winter without these installed.

9847E9E0-6F11-47FC-A20C-E23FD306943F.jpeg 8B4AD6A2-6A81-40CE-B3DA-084CDCE54219.jpeg F2DA3FD2-6F10-4A66-8D7A-8E1199FCBFD9.jpeg

I fabricated some temporary front end mud flaps until a real solution is available. I bought universal mud flaps from advance auto parts, trimmed them to follow MY wheel well lines, and mounted with trim screws and 3m trim adhesive tape at the top.

I couldn’t wait for a professional solution. Buffalo road salt would destroy my paint this winter without these installed.

View attachment 607540 View attachment 607538 View attachment 607539
Looks good man. Any more road debri hitting the rocker panel?

Anyone else have paint damage like this or just me? Washed the car yesterday and noticed tons of damage on the rear doors in front of the rear wheels and a little on the plastic behind rear wheels.

This is a performance Y after 2 months of ownership and 4k miles driving on normal roads, no gravel or off-roading of any kind.

View attachment 606282 View attachment 606283 View attachment 606285 View attachment 606286

My PPF guy did a strip on the bottom of each rear door because of this. My plastic piece is also pitted like yours. I'm guessing it will be easy-ish to eventually replace (better than on the M3) but I'm still hoping flaps are out soon.

Same here, performance model y and about 3k miles similar damage and I was ultra careful and no off road. I'm in Denver Colorado

I did a custom DIY 3M PPF to cover where the body flares ahead of the rear wheel and up About 16” along the flare of the arch, following the countour of the “strike zone” of road spray I noticed. The dirt is one thing that I will have to live with, but the strike zone is where damage seems to occur, where the body is actually deflecting debris. Looks sharp and pretty much invisible, and easy enough to install that I wouldn’t pay someone to do it. Have ordered more material due to interest from others (another thread) to cut them some.

I did a custom DIY 3M PPF to cover where the body flares ahead of the rear wheel and up About 16” along the flare of the arch, following the countour of the “strike zone” of road spray I noticed. The dirt is one thing that I will have to live with, but the strike zone is where damage seems to occur, where the body is actually deflecting debris. Looks sharp and pretty much invisible, and easy enough to install that I wouldn’t pay someone to do it. Have ordered more material due to interest from others (another thread) to cut them some.

Pics??

you came up with you own pattern then?

Yes, studying the area where “just dirt” became dirt that was gouging the paint. I’m not trying to prevent any dirt from getting on the car, a fools errand IMO, just protecting the area where damage occurs. Nothing new. Most high-end wide body cars come from the factory with this protection. Tesla should be providing this as well. I’m resigned to considering the plastic rocker as sacrificial since it’s a DIY swap with a new one if it gets really bad. If really nice front flaps finally hit the market I’ll have both the flaps and film.