Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm being too anal or what not, but do most of you have numerous scratches and nicks on the plastic rockers like I do?
It looks almost unnoticeable in darker light but when I take a picture of that same area with the flash on or run my fingers over those areas it feels all scratched up as hell! I drove around without front mudflaps for about 1000 miles. For those of you who put mudflaps on earlier, are you seeing as much scratches on your rockers as I am??

I just hope the mudflaps will mitigate any more scratches...

IMG_4493.jpg
IMG_4632.jpg

Just an update from my eBay order of Chinese molded flaps from a couple of weeks ago (they were the only ones available at the time and there were some concerns whether they would fit MY or not). The holes etc fit okay but I needed to stretch a bit to insert the plugs. They are a bit shorter than the Tesla mud flap so likely offer less protection. The contour of the flap didn't perfectly flow with the trim but I think they look okay in the back (looks better than a flat piece of plastic IMO - at least for the back). I'm sure the front flaps will fit well too but since it's snow season for me, I decided to use Tesla mud flaps for the front for extra protection and use the molded flap in the back since Tesla doesn't have one. Here are some pics

IMG_2675.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg
IMG_2665.jpg
IMG_2669.jpg

View attachment 634111
IMG_2672 2.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update from my eBay order of Chinese molded flaps from a couple of weeks ago (they were the only ones available at the time and there were some concerns whether they would fit MY or not). The holes etc fit okay but I needed to stretch a bit to insert the plugs. They are a bit shorter than the Tesla mud flap so likely offer less protection. The contour of the flap didn't perfectly flow with the trim but I think they look okay in the back (looks better than a flat piece of plastic IMO - at least for the back). I'm sure the front flaps will fit well too but since it's snow season for me, I decided to use Tesla mud flaps for the front for extra protection and use the molded flap in the back since Tesla doesn't have one. Here are some pics

View attachment 634110 View attachment 634106 View attachment 634108 View attachment 634109
View attachment 634111
View attachment 634113
Look good!

My Tesla Model Y Front Mudflaps arrived today. I ordered on 1/27 and received on 2/5. The mudflaps arrived just in time as a Winter Storm Watch has just been issued for my area for Saturday night into Sunday.

I have already installed the mudflaps. I recommend reviewing the installation guide. The link for the guide is on the Tesla site where you order the Mudflaps. Although currently showing Out of Stock if you enter your email address the Tesla store will send you a notification when the Mudflaps are again available for purchase.

As previously noted the rather large flat box containing the mudflaps was not taped shut but arrived intact. Contents are the Left Hand and Right Hand front mudflaps and two small plastic bags each containing 2 clips. (Tesla should save a bag and combine the 4 clips into one bag.)

I took the time to brush off any loose debris from the inside of the fender liner before wiping down the area where the flap is installed with soap and water and then drying the area. I have no idea why the installation guide states you should wipe the liner area with alcohol but I did this too. It helps to create room to work if you turn the steering wheel all of the way to the left before installing the driver's side mudflap and again but to the right for the passenger side mudflap. I used the new clips, following the directions to install the inboard clip first before installing the outboard clip. It helped to have a bright flashlight to see what I was doing.

I can't explain why but the clearance from the bottom edge of the driver's side mudflap to my garage floor is 2 and 3/4 inches; the clearance on the passenger side is 3 and1/8 inches.

Last edited:

View attachment 634110 View attachment 634106 View attachment 634108 View attachment 634109
View attachment 634111
View attachment 634113
The rear is what we should see IMHO. A straight piece of material is pretty sad to me.. flaps are part style, part protection, count me on the style side... Interested to hear more about the molded options.

Reactions: Tedkidd
The molded guards are bolt on and didn’t require any drilling?

Yeah no drilling required. Pretty straightforward installation. The front uses push-in rivets and the flap itself has a clip to secure it to the trim (I didn't use it though). The rear also uses push-in rivets, a clip on the flap, as well as a bottom hole that uses the same screw for the rear bumper. The rear is very secure after that screw is tightened.

The rear is what we should see IMHO. A straight piece of material is pretty sad to me.. flaps are part style, part protection, count me on the style side... Interested to hear more about the molded options.

Yeah I think so too, so I never bought the EVMudflap that everyone was getting at the time..which also requires drilling onto the trim.
I also have the front molded flap. I think it will fit fine too and should look nice as well, but it's shorter than the Tesla flaps. I'll probably end up using the Tesla mud flap for the winter snow and swap them out with the molded flap in the spring/summer (I already had some tears on my lower door PPF after a single snowboarding trip so I want to be extra cautious).

Last edited:
If it helps anyone here, I just did a quick comparison of the EV Mudflaps and the ZL1 Addons options. I think the ZL1 is better, both price and form/function but you can be the judge. Not sure how the Tesla branded ones stack up though - they are still sold out from what I can see.

Ha. I actually bought ZL1 as well right when it came out. And then the eBay molded flap and Tesla mud flaps came out so I bought them too. Of course they ended up arriving at the same time! I think ZL1 looks better than EV Mudflaps IMO and that's what I bought it in the first place. It stick out wide enough but it's a very thin piece of plastic and it's very short, so I'm not sure how much protection it provides. It's even shorter than the eBay molded front flap I think. The Tesla mud flap is the longest and has more of a rubber feel to it, so I think it's sturdier. And I think it looks better than EVMudflaps since it's not so boxy.

My Tesla Model Y Front Mudflaps arrived today. I ordered on 1/27 and received on 2/5. The mudflaps arrived just in time as a Winter Storm Watch has just been issued for my area for Saturday night into Sunday.

I have already installed the mudflaps. I recommend reviewing the installation guide. The link for the guide is on the Tesla site where you order the Mudflaps. Although currently showing Out of Stock if you enter your email address the Tesla store will send you a notification when the Mudflaps are again available for purchase.

As previously noted the rather large flat box containing the mudflaps was not taped shut but arrived intact. Contents are the Left Hand and Right Hand front mudflaps and two small plastic bags each containing 2 clips. (Tesla should save a bag and combine the 4 clips into one bag.)

I took the time to brush off any loose debris from the inside of the fender liner before wiping down the area where the flap is installed with soap and water and then drying the area. I have no idea why the installation guide states you should wipe the liner area with alcohol but I did this too. It helps to create room to work if you turn the steering wheel all of the way to the left before installing the driver's side mudflap and again but to the right for the passenger side mudflap. I used the new clips, following the directions to install the inboard clip first before installing the outboard clip. It helped to have a bright flashlight to see what I was doing.

I can't explain why but the clearance from the bottom edge of the driver's side mudflap to my garage floor is 2 and 3/4 inches; the clearance on the passenger side is 3 and1/8 inches.

I got mine today too in the same long flat box that wasn’t taped at all. How does that happen? Will install when we get rid of the 18” of snow we got earlier this week and the 8” more we are getting on Sunday. Ugh.

I like the look of the Zl1s. I already bought them and just waiting for my car to be delivered tomorrow.

It looks like plenty of protection for California weather that has occasional rain. They're advertised as rock guards and not mud flaps. Maybe that's why it's much shorter than others.

Did the eBay/Chinese set come with front mudflaps? If so, any pictures of them installed?

Thanks

View attachment 634111
View attachment 634113

Did the eBay/Chinese set come with front mudflaps? If so, any pictures of them installed?

Thanks

Yeah it does come with them. Unfortunately I don't have picture of them installed because I ended up using Tesla mud flaps for the front for added protection during the snow season. The molded flaps are a bit shorter (more clearance from the ground) so I wasn't sure if it it'll offer complete protection for the snow/ice. I think they will look nice and sleeker though, similar to the rear. I plan to swap them out for the molded flaps after winter ends for the style.

Ha. I actually bought ZL1 as well right when it came out. And then the eBay molded flap and Tesla mud flaps came out so I bought them too. Of course they ended up arriving at the same time! I think ZL1 looks better than EV Mudflaps IMO and that's what I bought it in the first place. It stick out wide enough but it's a very thin piece of plastic and it's very short, so I'm not sure how much protection it provides. It's even shorter than the eBay molded front flap I think. The Tesla mud flap is the longest and has more of a rubber feel to it, so I think it's sturdier. And I think it looks better than EVMudflaps since it's not so boxy.

Yeah it's a tough call. The ZL1 definitely has more ground clearance than the EV Mudflaps option - the protection seems ok, but I agree it's probably not ideal. Will try the Tesla ones for sure once they are back in stock.

I refused to drill into my trim for the EV Mudflaps, but those clips that come with the ZL1's are key and can be used on the EV Mudflaps option too (to avoid drilling).