Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is what is happening to me right now, what I was describing before your post.

How did you get inside the bumper get the nut out ?

I couldn't, even removing a lot of the other snap rivets. I ended up using a hack saw to cut out the old one from below. It had loosened just enough to get the saw in. Replaced with a plastic drywall expander thingie.

I originally went with the amazon set (@Roadsailing did a review on the regular set on page 12) that looks identical to the rpmtesla one. I was not happy with the fit, it was pretty loose imo.

I ended up going with this one from Amazon. Fits very snug and sticks out wide enough to cover the tire. Ground clearance on me LR is about 4.5"

Attachments

• EFE37109-B88B-4046-91C5-5413F3926805.png
    EFE37109-B88B-4046-91C5-5413F3926805.png
    548.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 47428F77-7226-4AD2-8462-3236D7733D48.jpeg
    47428F77-7226-4AD2-8462-3236D7733D48.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 189
  • EC5BC326-3E4B-4F3B-BB46-4626D10D18ED.jpeg
    EC5BC326-3E4B-4F3B-BB46-4626D10D18ED.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 169
  • A3ACAB75-BD65-4083-AD14-9902DA2ACF93.jpeg
    A3ACAB75-BD65-4083-AD14-9902DA2ACF93.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 173
Took the MYP snowboarding. This is the debris with diy mudflaps. Diy ppf right in the strike area. View attachment 641645
Did the PPF do its job? Or did it still get scratched around there?

I bought the Tesla flaps, and some aftermarket Chinese ones for the back. My car is getting PPF in the full front and in that area in the back as I post this. I’m hoping the combination will keep it chip free, as I too intend to take mine to ski resorts as well as MTB and hiking trails.

RPM tesla mud flaps came today. Fit well, look good. Installation instructions on the site are different for a model Y 2020. For the rear flaps, the grommet underneath is a bolt that must be unthreaded, number 10 mm socket. It actually is more confidence inspiring to hold the flap in place. Everything else in the instructions works.

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 161
RPM tesla mud flaps came today. Fit well, look good. Installation instructions on the site are different for a model Y 2020. For the rear flaps, the grommet underneath is a bolt that must be unthreaded, number 10 mm socket. It actually is more confidence inspiring to hold the flap in place. Everything else in the instructions works.
nice
same price as an ebay china one with 2nd day fed ex

I installed my RPM ones as well and am not confident in the design of the front flaps being as effective as they could be. The design tapers back and looks like it only minimally would protect against debris getting kicked up from the front tire. To be fair, I haven’t driven in the rain (or other conditions that would be good to test) yet with these installed but something I noticed. I also ordered the OEM version and will be trying them on later today to see what those look like in person as they undoubtably will work better to protect (even if they don’t subjectively look as good installed).

Attachments

• B76BBF36-2C09-422A-8B1F-001138FF89AC.jpeg
    B76BBF36-2C09-422A-8B1F-001138FF89AC.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 186
For what it’s worth, I have the Amazon premium ones and they wiggle around a bit to the point where I am sending them back. I have seen the RPM versions and they seem to be pretty securely attached (refer to their installation video). I have also seen the RPM one at their facility and I think that’s the one I’m going to go with. It does not offer the same protection as the OEM but I’m not interested in the rally look either.

After seeing how the premiums flaps mount, lack of instructions, and RPMTeslas video I decided to go this route too.

Reactions: na5m
I installed the molded ones that are Amazon and ebay now. Very nice and easy to install.

HOWEVER, when trying to remove the hex bolt on the left rear, it appeared stripped. I tried to get a wrench in above the molded fender piece and it just wouldn't loosen up. I finally had to cut it off with a hack saw and replace it. Not sure why it came loose and wouldn't fully release from the nut. But I did discover that the nut is something odd that I've never seen before. Rounded. No wonder my wrench couldn't grasp it!

What the hell is this thing and why did it release from whatever was holding it in place?View attachment 640727

The nut is bonded on the inside, but the bond isn't as strong as the loctite-ish gunk they put on the bolt. So the nut breaks free on the inside, and then it just spins. I was installing my rear mudflaps and this happened only on the 2nd side (obviously) - I took the other rear mudflap off and put some epoxy to hold the bolt&washer flush with the bumper for no rattles.

Not sure I'm a fan of how the rears look anyway and doubt they do much.... Rocking with fronts only and looks nice!