Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Install takes less than 10 minutes

Attachments

• 525DED07-4879-4433-B6CF-3492588D1BC0.jpeg
    525DED07-4879-4433-B6CF-3492588D1BC0.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 989D9767-2EBE-4189-946A-09B9EF701381.jpeg
    989D9767-2EBE-4189-946A-09B9EF701381.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 150
  • F868C880-3E9D-4576-8CFE-E5B2C0ECFF13.jpeg
    F868C880-3E9D-4576-8CFE-E5B2C0ECFF13.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I installed my RPM ones as well and am not confident in the design of the front flaps being as effective as they could be. The design tapers back and looks like it only minimally would protect against debris getting kicked up from the front tire. To be fair, I haven’t driven in the rain (or other conditions that would be good to test) yet with these installed but something I noticed. I also ordered the OEM version and will be trying them on later today to see what those look like in person as they undoubtably will work better to protect (even if they don’t subjectively look as good installed).
For reference on this issue as well...these are the OEM’s and I think I am going to stick with them as they definitely seem to provide better coverage I hope to try out in upcoming rain.

Attachments

• 17F6E863-64EF-4D08-9C61-0A8FD8BF7F87.jpeg
    17F6E863-64EF-4D08-9C61-0A8FD8BF7F87.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Helpful
For reference on this issue as well...these are the OEM’s and I think I am going to stick with them as they definitely seem to provide better coverage I hope to try out in upcoming rain.
Did you test the RPM flaps in the rain? If so how was the coverage?

I am somewhat worried about the longevity of the OEM flaps given their lower ground clearance and the reports they scrape on speed bumps. It seems that this would cause a force pulling back again against the 2 plastic rivets that are used to attach them. Has anyone with the OEM flaps had an issue of their coming loose?

Did you test the RPM flaps in the rain? If so how was the coverage?

I am somewhat worried about the longevity of the OEM flaps given their lower ground clearance and the reports they scrape on speed bumps. It seems that this would cause a force pulling back again against the 2 plastic rivets that are used to attach them. Has anyone with the OEM flaps had an issue of their coming loose?
I did not yet as I’m in SoCal and the opportunity to test rain conditions isn’t all that often.

Most cars look better with some sort of flap, IMHO. I view flaps as part function, part looks. I am going to try the RPM flaps. Honestly, OEM look like they came off a semi trailer, no thanks..
Agreed ... the OEM Tesla flaps will provide better coverage than the front RPM flaps do, but for me I can’t get over the look of them. If someone is looking for the most protection, then the OEM ones are the winner

Agreed ... the OEM Tesla flaps will provide better coverage than the front RPM flaps do, but for me I can’t get over the look of them. If someone is looking for the most protection, then the OEM ones are the winner
Just installed Tesla flaps. They are molded and fit perfectly, plenty close to the road. Would like a tad more shape to them but they are very solid, fit like factory.

Attachments

• 1967CE18-8C50-4C1E-9A21-EAC54A4C448B.jpeg
    1967CE18-8C50-4C1E-9A21-EAC54A4C448B.jpeg
    586.2 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: na5m
I would say I had the same concerns and after installing the OEM ones they are actually fairly subtle from most angles (see overexposed pic below for example to make sure they are obvious) and I don’t plan to reinstall the RPM ones. Its all subjective I suppose but wanted to share based on having installed both.

Attachments

• 6E31AA90-5559-4423-ADC1-3593B44C729B.jpeg
    6E31AA90-5559-4423-ADC1-3593B44C729B.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 203
Took the MYP snowboarding. This is the debris with diy mudflaps. Diy ppf right in the strike area. View attachment 641645
mud flaps and PPF there is a must. I had the mud flaps on and ran over the asphalt debris left over from fixing potholes and it sounded like the car got blasted. sure enough, there were a bunch of brown dots with chips. I just installed the PPF so no further damage but the damage was already done!

For those that have OEM mudflaps, do you find that it is enough or would you still put on the PPF on the rear doors? Under normal conditions... not snow.

I'll be adding PPF as well to some aftermarket flaps. I order a long roll of 6" wide 3M PPF so I'll see hoe that goes :) I'll also try adding to the rockers of my 2018 model 3 as well (should have done it before but I don't see much wear)

I'll be adding PPF as well to some aftermarket flaps. I order a long roll of 6" wide 3M PPF so I'll see hoe that goes :) I'll also try adding to the rockers of my 2018 model 3 as well (should have done it before but I don't see much wear)
You're lucky you don't have much wear on the 3. I only have 1800 miles on my MYP and my rockers feel pretty pitted already. And this is in Orange County CA with decent roads and no snow. I started looking at mudflaps when I drove in the one time we had rain and heard all the pinging of the rocks off the bottom of the car.

Last edited:
I also have a 2018 LR RWD that I take on forest roads and up the mountain to go skiing and no damage at all on the rockers sans mud flaps. Was looking to upgrade to a Model Y this year so I guess I'll have to be more intentional about protecting it than I have been with the 3

I installed the Tesla mud flaps soon after these front mud flaps became available. I have driven only 2500 miles but so far no paint damage on my Pearl White Multi-coat paint. The last few hundred miles have been with the mud flaps installed. I have observed about 80% reduction in splatter on the front doors. The remaining slpatter includes some spray from vehicles traveling in the adjacent lane. On the rear doors, where the Tesla PPF film gets installed, I have observed about a 90% reduction in splatter. I can see that the Tesla PPF will cover the area most exposed to residual splatter. I just ordered the Tesla PPF kit. This will be my first experience with installing PPF. I found this video demonstration, seems easy enough: Installing Tesla Model Y PPF kit on rear doors.

After installing the RPM flaps, I purposely drove through some melting snow puddles today since my car was clean to see what they did. Here are the pictures. The second picture is in front of the rear tire. I did not take a picture behind the rear flaps because there was no signs of spray at all. The front flap reduces the high cast off onto the painted surface of the door but not the plastic trim. The rear is effective behind the tire, but castoff in front is obviously an issue still. There need to be a plastic flap in the front part of the rear wheel well like on some newer vehicles. I’ve seen this on new Chevy trucks, the new Kia Sorrento, etc.

Attachments

• E97EAC86-85C3-4A11-8E38-E3BAF73C4315.jpeg
    E97EAC86-85C3-4A11-8E38-E3BAF73C4315.jpeg
    596.1 KB · Views: 204
  • DF94F6E6-5914-4CAA-8ABB-7D349AA886E9.jpeg
    DF94F6E6-5914-4CAA-8ABB-7D349AA886E9.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 183
That's interesting. I have a model 2018 model 3 lr RWD with 1520mm spacers and I have no damage in my rocker area. Model y on the other hand had 3 chips within 500mi. Also in OC.
I’m in OC as well and just crossed 4000 miles including two road trips to SF (1 of which was in the rain nearly the entire time both ways). No visible damage on either rocker panel but I added flaps just to be safe for the long term. I’ll just consider myself lucky in the meantime.