Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took her skiing today, Scottsdale to Arizona Snowboal. In a major snowstorm, i saw SUV’s, Land Rovers and a plow(!!!) ran off the road. The model Y felt mostly safe and got us there safely. I will get winter or all weather tires for next season. I’m happy with the OEM flap and PPF.

BB75EAA4-03C5-4345-9061-262F63817747.jpeg
09F79C6B-E76C-4EBA-B735-9DB3DCF48718.jpeg
2276F819-AD13-4107-8A79-102FA783E11E.jpeg
B92CBD77-47BF-40A1-B044-A0002C9A42BA.jpeg

Reactions: alexcue
I have the OEM flaps and they drag going into some parking lots that have those recessed water control channels at the entrance, not all, just the more substantial ones. No damage to flap, they are flexible, and not too worried about them getting removed. They not only have the two rivets, but also clips that attach to the fender trim going vertical. Pretty secure.

I just got the OEM flaps this morning. Installing them on my LR AWD MY was a breeze. They look better than I thought they would. I went over 4 or 5 sets of annoyingly high/narrow speed bumps going to the gym (the whole MY shudders even at very slow speeds), but didn't feel anything that I would call scrapping. As Freewheeler mentioned they are pretty flexible.

Just installed Basenor flaps from Amazon. I am more of an suv person so I like the look. As much look as is for function for me in San Diego. Also had ppf installed on rocker panel. Double protection better than none.View attachment 644139View attachment 644140View attachment 644141
They look like they fit well. What does the inside look like? One thing I've noticed on a set I saw locally was the inside was not flat, so I imagine it will collect a lot of junk/snow in the recesses. Are those caliper covers? I was thinking that exact same color combo :)

They look like they fit well. What does the inside look like? One thing I've noticed on a set I saw locally was the inside was not flat, so I imagine it will collect a lot of junk/snow in the recesses. Are those caliper covers? I was thinking that exact same color combo :)
There is a lip on the inside, so that could collect debris, but it’s not a concern for me(not a lot of debris on our roads in SoCal). Yes, caliper covers and I love them. Gives MY a little more personality.

There is a lip on the inside, so that could collect debris, but it’s not a concern for me(not a lot of debris on our roads in SoCal). Yes, caliper covers and I love them. Gives MY a little more personality.
@USC-Hawk Did you have something done to your taillights? They look kinda smoked, I was wondering if that was stock or if you had some vinyl installed on them? Thanks! Car looks great btw!

The side of car gets dirty fast! can't wait to install rpm mud flaps, they finally shiped them to me.
Have the RPM flaps on order as well, also planning the Tesla OEM PPF for rear quarter panels. Are you guys using PPF on front of car as well--bumper, hood? I don't do a ton of highway miles so wondering if that is overkill. Maybe just flaps and rear quarter panels........any thoughts? Just took delivery of my new MYP last Friday so trying to get the details hammered out--thanks!

Have the RPM flaps on order as well, also planning the Tesla OEM PPF for rear quarter panels. Are you guys using PPF on front of car as well--bumper, hood? I don't do a ton of highway miles so wondering if that is overkill. Maybe just flaps and rear quarter panels........any thoughts? Just took delivery of my new MYP last Friday so trying to get the details hammered out--thanks!

I got the Tesla Mud flaps, they are working fine so far. For PPF I got full front bumper, headlights, hood, mirrors, lower sides of both doors with a flare out like the Tesla PPF. I also did door sils and the small area at the trunk opening. I didn't do any of the back bumper...wondering about that...

Reactions: bdaviskc
I got the Tesla Mud flaps, they are working fine so far. For PPF I got full front bumper, headlights, hood, mirrors, lower sides of both doors with a flare out like the Tesla PPF. I also did door sils and the small area at the trunk opening. I didn't do any of the back bumper...wondering about that...
Good idea on the trunk opening, I was thinking of doing that as well--just drag one item across that lip and you've got a nice scratch/scuff!

Good idea on the trunk opening, I was thinking of doing that as well--just drag one item across that lip and you've got a nice scratch/scuff!

Exactly. And I have kids...so the door sils were a must. I do feel alot better driving the car around knowing I have the PPF, especially the full front bumper, headlights, hood and door areas. I may do the full doors in the future too. I live in an area with lots of home construction so there is always sand, mud, small rocks, etc, on the roads. Not to mention salt/sand/ice in the winter.

@USC-Hawk Did you have something done to your taillights? They look kinda smoked, I was wondering if that was stock or if you had some vinyl installed on them? Thanks! Car looks great btw!
Loving all the little tweaks that can be done. Thank you. Yes, had them smoked when I had the windows tinted. I know, I am one cop away from a couple of “fix it” tickets :)

Reactions: mcmcn and bdaviskc
After installing the RPM flaps, I purposely drove through some melting snow puddles today since my car was clean to see what they did. Here are the pictures. The second picture is in front of the rear tire. I did not take a picture behind the rear flaps because there was no signs of spray at all. The front flap reduces the high cast off onto the painted surface of the door but not the plastic trim. The rear is effective behind the tire, but castoff in front is obviously an issue still. There need to be a plastic flap in the front part of the rear wheel well like on some newer vehicles. I’ve seen this on new Chevy trucks, the new Kia Sorrento, etc.
When installing the RPM flaps. The rear ones, did you have difficulty unscrewing the screw underneath? I cannot extract the screw. On the original RPM install video, the underneath hole had a fastener.
I have screws underneath on both sides.

When installing the RPM flaps. The rear ones, did you have difficulty unscrewing the screw underneath? I cannot extract the screw. On the original RPM install video, the underneath hole had a fastener.
I have screws underneath on both sides.
I have the Basenor, but needed to remove the underneath screws as well for the rear. I used a wrench and they came out and went back in just fine.

I just installed my rpm mudflaps. Has anyone noticed there is one hole next to the one with the screw that's missing a fastener? This is on both sides of the car.. I'm wondering if I should plug them up with the extra fasteners after the mudflap install or are these some kind of drainage holes? I tried to plug them with the old Tesla fasteners and they fit perfectly. I also had a missing fastener inside one of the front wheel wells which I also plugged with the extra fastener.

Reactions: techmagnetic