Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK decision made based on what you guys said. OEM it is!
Tesla's OE mudflaps come with the left and right front mud flaps and (4) plastic retainer clips for the mud flaps. Make sure you receive a total of (4) clips. You will need a clip removal tool or a small/medium size flat blade screwdriver to pop out the center pin from the factory clips (these are shorter than the ones that come in box with the Tesla mud flaps) before removing the clip. Use the new clips when installing the OE mud flaps. Install the inboard retainer clip first. It takes ~10 minutes to install the mud flaps. It helps to turn the wheel out to get access to the wheel well liner. A flashlight makes it easier to see what you are doing since the liner, mud flaps and clips are all dark colored.

Reactions: rainforest
I just took delivery of my MY. In the process of adding Mud flaps I noticed there is one bolt underneath that needs to be used to mount them which is not the problem. But right nearby is a second threaded bolt hole with a missing bolt. This is present on each wheel. The bolt is special 10mm hex with a large washer. Is every Tesla missing these bolts? I saw a YT video on initial delivery inspection with the same complaint yet when asked the delivery technician said there is not supposed to be any bolts in that hole. Why would Tesla build a car with a threaded bolt hole and no bolt?

I've looked at several hardware sections and automotive stores and can't find a match to buy bolts of this type. I need 4 of them.

IMG_2120.jpg

I did find a 25 pack on Amazon and placed an order.

Last edited:
I just took delivery of my MY. In the process of adding Mud flaps I noticed there is one bolt underneath that needs to be used to mount them which is not the problem. But right nearby is a second threaded bolt hole with a missing bolt. This is present on each wheel. The bolt is special 10mm hex with a large washer. Is every Tesla missing these bolts? I saw a YT video on initial delivery inspection with the same complaint yet when asked the delivery technician said there is not supposed to be any bolts in that hole. Why would Tesla build a car with a threaded bolt hole and no bolt?

I've looked at several hardware sections and automotive stores and can't find a match to buy bolts of this type. I need 4 of them.

View attachment 660953
Mine is "missing" as well, but I'm thinking it is purposeful.

View attachment 660953
Mine is "missing" as well, but I'm thinking it is purposeful.
It's just a hole without a bolt - not a structural part, not holding anything together. Mine is missing too. Mobile tech said tongue in cheek it was put there to vex OCD Tesla owners. Time to move on to another non-issue.

• Funny
Reactions: WattsHappening
Mobile tech said tongue in cheek it was put there to vex OCD Tesla owners. Time to move on to another non-issue.
ha ha So do you believe that or just don't care?

I also discovered the two push fasteners on the front driver's side were too small and just lifted out with my finger nail. I replaced them with larger size for a snug fit like the ones on the passenger side. The mud flaps I bought come with larger and longer size that fit properly.

Going around the back bumper I saw another missing bolt below where the license plate is.