Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed Basenor mud flaps (ordered from Amazon) and it was fairly easy. The front was definitely easier than the back due to the bolt that had to be removed. I am very satisfied with them as I can definitely see the difference after some local trips.

BASENOR Tesla Model Y Mud Flaps Splash Guards (Set of Four) No Need to Drill Holes 2021 Upgraded https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VHQSXD...abc_8SPX9CK9EYZG50KZ4ZTH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 29E4844D-EEF4-4CB9-8A8A-F82F50EF4468.jpeg
    29E4844D-EEF4-4CB9-8A8A-F82F50EF4468.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 588
  • ADF03466-12E4-4D71-AE7C-9259356FA4A3.jpeg
    ADF03466-12E4-4D71-AE7C-9259356FA4A3.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 386
  • 61ED508D-C9B8-4F3C-914C-A256E74CBA5F.jpeg
    61ED508D-C9B8-4F3C-914C-A256E74CBA5F.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 448
Most would agree that front mud flaps are needed on the Model Y. Rear mud flaps on the Model Y may provide some additional protection. My observation is that the rear of my Model Y gets dirty from air and water flowing over the vehicle, not specifically from water and debris coming from the rear wheels. I.e. the benefit of having rear mud flaps on the Model Y is mostly for appearance. Some Model Y owners prefer the look of having front and rear mud flaps. Also, consider the Tesla PPF kit for the rear doors of the Model Y. There is considerable debris that can impact the rear doors of the Model Y even after installing the Tesla mud flaps on the front wheel wells. Finally, mud flaps on the Tesla Model Y do nothing to prevent your vehicle from being sprayed with water, salt, sand, dirt etc. from passing vehicles (especially from vehicles without mud flaps.)

To provide improved function the Tesla front mud flaps would have to be wider, i.e. extend outside the front wheel wells as with the Rally Armor mud flaps. You may not like the look but a wider mud flap would perform better.

I read through this entire thread and I'm debating between Basenor and Nansure. Doesn't seem like much difference between them honestly.
I am worried about the screw on the back. I don't want the nut to break loose and then I have to go digging behind the wheel well on a brand new car. I saw one person say they just used the 2 clips and didn't fool with the screw on the back flaps. Anyone else done this? Does it work oK? Pictures?

I got Tesla’s mudflaps for my MYP... and mine is sitting on UPP moderate springs - which are about 3/4” lower than a stock MYP... I scrape when running over pebbles and sub-atomic particles.

So I trimmed them using scissors. Easy and simple. But man they made horrible noises for the first few days. 😬

I had the OEM Tesla mud guards on the front of my 2021 Model Y, purchased Nansure brand one and I liked them so much on the rears I removed the Tesla guards from the front and installed these instead!
These Chinese-sourced mud flaps are all pretty much alike. I preferred the Basenor because of the extra attachment clip - the attachment is much more sturdy that the product from RPM for example.

Reactions: GeezerSquid