Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9919D2B8-F86D-4390-9D88-931F4A8DF565.jpeg
Just finished reading through 26 pages about mud flaps and I have a question that I don't think has been asked here before:

Of all of the various styles out there, e.g., Abstract Ocean, Basenor, A-Premium... Which are the SMALLEST? I'm not looking to attract much attention to mud flaps. Looking for the least obtrusive option.
I like my Tesla mud flaps on our LR. They don't wrap around the fender at all, and they seem to stop 100% of anything flinging up the side. Front only, and the rear bumper stays pretty clean anyway.

Never heard them scrape on anything, have a deepish curb cut and lots of speed bumps in parking lots.
FCD7A2B2-0770-49B6-9015-6CAC6F1275A0.jpeg
E2ED0367-95E8-4434-8873-2B4DC2126625.jpeg

Last edited:
Just finished reading through 26 pages about mud flaps and I have a question that I don't think has been asked here before:

Of all of the various styles out there, e.g., Abstract Ocean, Basenor, A-Premium... Which are the SMALLEST? I'm not looking to attract much attention to mud flaps. Looking for the least obtrusive option.

I would not assume that the various mud flap alternatives are equally or even near equally as effective in protecting the back door and the front of the rear fender on a MY, especially with if you have wider tires on your MY. It would seem that as soimeone who appears to live in snow country near Denver that you would want the mud-flaps that provide the best coverage. If you lived in SoCal like I do, I could understand this question as the potential for damage is so much less.

FWIW, I think having paint damage will draw much more negative attention, than the size of the mud flaps.

Reactions: Ron J.
I had updated the "other" mudflap thread before I found this one. So here is my cross-post from that thread.

I purchased the mud flaps from EVmudflaps for my MYLR:
[URL]https://evmudflaps.com/collect...-tesla-model-y/products/4-garde-boues-model-y[/url]

The process took about a half hour to gather up the tools, move the car, and put in the four flaps. Here are my experiences:
  1. I did the procedure with the car on the ground with all of the wheels still attached and the wheels straight ahead
  2. A right-angle drill adapter is REQUIRED. His video shows a DeWalt but I have a Milwaukee.
  3. A small nail puller worked great. Probably much better than a screwdriver. I bought a small nail puller just for this.
  4. I heated up two cups of water in the microwave until boiling, then put the pop-ins in there and let them sit for 10 minutes. They sink.
  5. The textured side of each flap goes towards the rear of the car. They are textured on one side and smooth on the other.
  6. The front flaps have 3 vertical holes, the rear flaps have 2 vertical holes
  7. The hole for the rear flap that is in metal is a real pain to get in correctly.
  8. I used my DeWalt drill on torque setting #1 (the lowest) to drive the screws. It worked fine and didn't strip them.
  9. I did all of the pop-ins first on all four flaps, then I went back and did all of the screws.
  10. I also did the far screw on each of the two rear flaps. The video said that they were optional, but I think they are required. Once again, a right-angle adapter is required.

For the pop-in that went through metal on one of the rear flaps (step #7), I ended up trying 3 pop-ins before I got it to work. The kit includes extras. This isn't the kit's fault, it is just difficult to do; inserting the pop-in seems to push-back the plastic a little with-respect-to the metal so it isn't all the way in. A combination of pushing and twisting seemed to work, then the center pops in correctly with some leverage.

Milwaukee right-angle: [URL='https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYL7299?tag=tmc064-20']https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYL7299[/url]
Small nail puller: [URL='https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXHRTRF?tag=tmc064-20']https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXHRTRF[/url]

Here are some photos. The flaps are large, but they look fine on the car. I've already chrome deleted the emblems, and have ordered Rimetrix hubcaps for the wheels. So these sized flaps seem apropos.

Basically, this kit is expensive for just four flat plastic pieces with holes drilled and a bag of pop-ins and screws. However, everything is well made, fits well, is the right shape, the holes are in the right places, and I'm happy with it.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

img_0199-jpg.736550

img_0201-jpg.736551

img_0200-jpg.736552

img_0204-jpg.736553

img_0206-jpg.736554

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You can now buy knockoff mudflaps that are identical to the ones Tesla sells. They include rears too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NNQW57B. I installed them on my Y, they look fine.

I read the reviews on Amazon (all 2 of them) and the first poster didn't install the rears saying that they didn't do anything. I already have the Tesla OEMs and am curious if you think the rears are necessary.

I read the reviews on Amazon (all 2 of them) and the first poster didn't install the rears saying that they didn't do anything. I already have the Tesla OEMs and am curious if you think the rears are necessary.
I installed the Tesla mud flaps (front). I believe the rear mudflaps don't add much protection but I don't go off road. Someone who regularly drives on sand stated that the rear mudflaps definitely help. Rear mud flaps may reduce road spray onto the vehicle directly behind your Model Y.

I installed the Tesla mud flaps (front). I believe the rear mudflaps don't add much protection but I don't go off road. Someone who regularly drives on sand stated that the rear mudflaps definitely help. Rear mud flaps may reduce road spray onto the vehicle directly behind your Model Y.

@jcanoe the other factor that could be important to some is the visual symmetry. When Tesla first introduced theirs I hated that they were only on the front, but it has grown on me. In fact, we ended up getting a pair of the Tesla ones this past fall as the weather started deteriorating, and I guess I've gotten used to it.

I still would have preferred a 3rd party option with all four wheels but these were the simplest to install (and uninstall--my partner really hates the look of any mud flaps and only agreed to keep them on for the gross part of the year, so I think they'll be off for the spring and summer) and seemed like they were at least functional and provided better coverage than the smaller (and more visually appealing) 3rd party options.

If the vehicle were only mine, I'd have probably gone a different direction, but this was a sensible compromise and better than not using anything. :)

@jcanoe the other factor that could be important to some is the visual symmetry. When Tesla first introduced theirs I hated that they were only on the front, but it has grown on me. In fact, we ended up getting a pair of the Tesla ones this past fall as the weather started deteriorating, and I guess I've gotten used to it.

I still would have preferred a 3rd party option with all four wheels but these were the simplest to install (and uninstall--my partner really hates the look of any mud flaps and only agreed to keep them on for the gross part of the year, so I think they'll be off for the spring and summer) and seemed like they were at least functional and provided better coverage than the smaller (and more visually appealing) 3rd party options.

If the vehicle were only mine, I'd have probably gone a different direction, but this was a sensible compromise and better than not using anything. :)
Did you install PPF on the rear doors? Without the front mud flaps the rear doors really get slammed with all sorts of road spray, sand etc.

I installed these flaps today on the front and back. Super easy install. I don’t know if the rear flaps are necessary, but they can’t hurt and make the car look more symmetrical imo.

They look identical to the OEM front flaps and seem to be high quality. We’ll see how they hold up over time.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
I have a week to gather my accessories in anticipation of my 3/15 delivery. As far as mudflaps go, is there a go-to brand that people use? The OEM? Basenor?

Or is a mudflap a mudflap and they al perform equally well, more or less?