Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud Flaps? Rear Door Chipping Bad :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is the rear door after just 500 miles....riddled with chip marks from road debris coming from the front tire. I haven't even driven in dirt road or bad weather yet.

My last car had a clear film in this area just for this issue...tesla does not have this or mudflaps from the factory and these rear doors are going to get wrecked if we dont protect them somehow. I know they gave M3 owners mudflaps for winter climate owners, I wonder if they will do the same for MY?

IMG_7919.jpg

You've been Musk'd.

This is what you get for buying an early Y. Never buy a first year new model Tesla unless you are prepared for issues like this.

I have had other cars that did this too.. BMWs.. it's not unique to Tesla or the Model Y. Has nothing to do with an early model either. That said I plan to get PPF put there as I always knew that would be an issue. It's probably worse if you have summer tires as things tend to stick to them and fling up more. Mud flaps might help some.

I know this is an older post, but I made a stock of rear door PPF kits available in the Tesla Parts section (MY Lower Rear Door PPF Kits) templated on the profile of strike zone on the rear doors. Put them on mine and realized a lot of people here are dealing with the same issue, so I figured I’d offer something for other owners. I’ll be keeping them even after decent from mud flaps come out. Cheers!

Yes after one winter going skiing my Y has the fender flares nearly worn through the red paint. I put on the aftermarket flaps when they were first available and the OEM ones right after that when they were available, but too late to avoid the damage. Car is less than one year old and has about 5,000 miles with ~1,500 in the mountains and snow. Does anyone know of any tough trim stripes that could be applied to cover the damage and avoid further erosion?

Attachments

• 2020 MY left door chips.jpg
    2020 MY left door chips.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 2020 MY right door chips.jpg
    2020 MY right door chips.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 155
  • MY right door edge chips.jpg
    MY right door edge chips.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
So sorry for your damage. Looks like you're at the point of needing a repaint, then PPF once it has cured. You wore through the paint to primer. Also looks like like the rear door should be adjusted because the leading edge is protruding further than the front. You could go to a PPF shop and see if there's a solid color PPF you could use to cover the damage (not a wrap, it's too thin). They will likely say no because the chips will transfer to the surface of the vinyl. Someone else may have another opinion.

So this is the rear door after just 500 miles....riddled with chip marks from road debris coming from the front tire. I haven't even driven in dirt road or bad weather yet.

My last car had a clear film in this area just for this issue...tesla does not have this or mudflaps from the factory and these rear doors are going to get wrecked if we dont protect them somehow. I know they gave M3 owners mudflaps for winter climate owners, I wonder if they will do the same for MY?

View attachment 530886
As a Tesla owner myself, I hated seeing those same marks on the rear of my bumper. After just 250 miles on my brand new y I noticed those chips and brought it to my local body shop and was dismayed at the $500 repair job. I reluctantly coughed up the money and got my rear bumper fixed. After that I promised myself that this would never happen again. To implent my promise I went out with my partner and designed our mudflaps so they would seamlessly fit on my bumper. After a few months of trial and error we finally made the most perfect fitting mudflaps on the market and are now accepting pre orders for them on our site!

Attachments

• Hff4c0ab49d1c45fd8fc290b3d5cbf4a5S.jpg
    Hff4c0ab49d1c45fd8fc290b3d5cbf4a5S.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 148
Newbie here. I will soon take delivery of MY. I am getting RPM mud flaps today. Does anyone know if the someone at the delivery site can help fit the mudflaps? I am a bit hesitant to do it myself, but don't want to take it to the road without it.

Newbie here. I will soon take delivery of MY. I am getting RPM mud flaps today. Does anyone know if the someone at the delivery site can help fit the mudflaps? I am a bit hesitant to do it myself, but don't want to take it to the road without it.
They are incredibly simple to install. Literally, grab a flat head screwdriver (or some kind of blade) and pop out the 2 factory pushpins, then put the mudflap in place and push in the 2 new pushpins. Repeat at the other three corners of the car.

I believe something is mentioned about a factory screw that can be removed for the rear flaps, then reinstalled to help hold the rear mudflap in place, but I didn't bother removing it at all. The 2 pushpins hold it in place just as well as the front mudflaps.

In fact, I don't even think I got directions with my RPM flaps. I just remember reading it on their website. No way it even took me 10 minutes to install all 4. You'll see how simple it is once you get the car and take a look.

*** Also, plan on getting the Paint Protection Film for the lower rear corners of the rear doors. Tesla sells it on their website, or get a body shop to install it. Just get it ASAP. The Mudflaps help, but they don't stop everything. After 900 miles I already had a few marks on my rear doors, and I had mudflaps on at 400 miles.

They are incredibly simple to install. Literally, grab a flat head screwdriver (or some kind of blade) and pop out the 2 factory pushpins, then put the mudflap in place and push in the 2 new pushpins. Repeat at the other three corners of the car.

I believe something is mentioned about a factory screw that can be removed for the rear flaps, then reinstalled to help hold the rear mudflap in place, but I didn't bother removing it at all. The 2 pushpins hold it in place just as well as the front mudflaps.

In fact, I don't even think I got directions with my RPM flaps. I just remember reading it on their website. No way it even took me 10 minutes to install all 4. You'll see how simple it is once you get the car and take a look.

*** Also, plan on getting the Paint Protection Film for the lower rear corners of the rear doors. Tesla sells it on their website, or get a body shop to install it. Just get it ASAP. The Mudflaps help, but they don't stop everything. After 900 miles I already had a few marks on my rear doors, and I had mudflaps on at 400 miles.
Thanks a lot. I will take the mud flaps with me tomorrow while taking delivery and will try out fitting them
Yea, I ordered the Tesla paint protection film as well. Need to find somebody in San Diego to do it for me.

Thanks a lot. I will take the mud flaps with me tomorrow while taking delivery and will try out fitting them
Yea, I ordered the Tesla paint protection film as well. Need to find somebody in San Diego to do it for me.
I'm a newbie as well, and I don't think of myself as particularly handy, yet I was able to install mudflaps (I got the Basenor ones from Amazon), as well as the Tesla paint protection film, by myself.

Not sure how the RPMTesla ones are different from the Basenor ones, but, from watching the RPMTesla video, you should just need a flathead screwdriver, and (I think) a 10mm socket wrench . I was able to get mine installed in about 15-30 minutes.

For the paint protection film, it's similar to putting on one of those old-school screen protectors on your phone, where you had to spray the film prior to application. I made sure that area was clean and free of debris. Even then, I wiped it down with 70% isopropyl alcohol (use a microfiber cloth). For the slip solution, I just followed the instructions of 85% water and 15% baby shampoo (used Johnson & Johnson brand that I purchased from Target, along with a spray bottle from Target), and spray generously - on the car, on the film, on your hands. The film will slide around when wet, so take your time to make sure everything is lined up the way you want it. Then squeegee away to get rid of all the soap bubbles. It took me about an hour this past Wednesday, and I think it looks pretty good, although I'm sure the pros could have done it faster and better.

I'm a newbie as well, and I don't think of myself as particularly handy, yet I was able to install mudflaps (I got the Basenor ones from Amazon), as well as the Tesla paint protection film, by myself.

Not sure how the RPMTesla ones are different from the Basenor ones, but, from watching the RPMTesla video, you should just need a flathead screwdriver, and (I think) a 10mm socket wrench . I was able to get mine installed in about 15-30 minutes.

For the paint protection film, it's similar to putting on one of those old-school screen protectors on your phone, where you had to spray the film prior to application. I made sure that area was clean and free of debris. Even then, I wiped it down with 70% isopropyl alcohol (use a microfiber cloth). For the slip solution, I just followed the instructions of 85% water and 15% baby shampoo (used Johnson & Johnson brand that I purchased from Target, along with a spray bottle from Target), and spray generously - on the car, on the film, on your hands. The film will slide around when wet, so take your time to make sure everything is lined up the way you want it. Then squeegee away to get rid of all the soap bubbles. It took me about an hour this past Wednesday, and I think it looks pretty good, although I'm sure the pros could have done it faster and better.
Thanks a lot. I was able to install the mud flaps myself right at the delivery location. It was easier than I thought. Just received the PPF from Tesla. Will get the baby shampoo this week and attempt that. Not planning to take it on road until that's done.

Thanks a lot. I was able to install the mud flaps myself right at the delivery location. It was easier than I thought. Just received the PPF from Tesla. Will get the baby shampoo this week and attempt that. Not planning to take it on road until that's done.
I also did the PPF myself. First time for me. Best advice I can give you is prep, prep, prep. The cleaner you have the surface where the film is going, the better it'll turn out. Otherwise, it's straightforward and simple.

Oh yeah, the sticky side (the side you peel away from the 3m paper) is the side that goes against the paint. (I learned the hard way - not enough sleep I guess?)

I just used some dish soap and water solution in a spray bottle. Worked great.