Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps that don’t have issues in winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured I’d ask on the Canadian forum. Folks have good luck with any specific make of mud flaps that don’t collect a ton of snow in the scoops or whatever during the winter?

Mine came with the Tesla front ones (of course missing a clip on one) but wanted to put them on front and back.

Figured I’d ask on the Canadian forum. Folks have good luck with any specific make of mud flaps that don’t collect a ton of snow in the scoops or whatever during the winter?

Mine came with the Tesla front ones (of course missing a clip on one) but wanted to put them on front and back.
I originally bought the hard plastic ones from rpmtesla, but they cracked when I was knocking snow and ice from them. Currently have a set from evmudflaps which are made in Quebec where they get a lot of snow. They’re flexible, so snow doesn’t collect as much and it makes it easier to knock the snow off. It also includes a strip of ppf to put between the body and mud flap to protect the paint. Highly recommend them!

I ordered and installed these from Amazon.ca for my X and a set for my son's X. Work just fine.
1653695265494.png

Only installed on the front. Recommend that you pop out the wheel arch moulding at the bottom to safely drill a couple of holes. There is a wiring harness in behind the moulding that you don't want to drill into, also lip for the fender. Very straight forward. No problems with cracking or anything else.

So started with one of the rears…wth have been trying for 20 minutes and can’t get the plug closest to the outer fender in for the life of me .

Actually looks like the existing hole is too close to the plastic trim.

44481A16-6447-41A1-BBFC-CC6E635B320E.jpeg

Over an hour later and I give up. Warmed them up as described. Used the flat side of a hammer, screw driver, chisel, mallet, tried turning them as per the video. All I have to show for it is an index finger with completely mangled skin.

Wow that was frustrating. Even without the mudflap the plug just won’t go in that hole. The OEM plugs are a bit smaller in diameter and work perfectly but the EVmudflao ones simply won’t go in.

Over an hour later and I give up. Warmed them up as described. Used the flat side of a hammer, screw driver, chisel, mallet, tried turning them as per the video. All I have to show for it is an index finger with completely mangled skin.

Wow that was frustrating. Even without the mudflap the plug just won’t go in that hole. The OEM plugs are a bit smaller in diameter and work perfectly but the EVmudflao ones simply won’t go in.
I remember I installed them on my previous Tesla and it was a pain in the back to get those plugs in! Just warm them up really good and they will go in, like extra extra that it's kind of hot to touch them. I used a medium sized mug and a hair-dryer on high-high setting.

I remember I installed them on my previous Tesla and it was a pain in the back to get those plugs in! Just warm them up really good and they will go in, like extra extra that it's kind of hot to touch them. I used a medium sized mug and a hair-dryer on high-high setting.
Burnt my fingers warmed them up so much. Even tried waking them when the my were half in.

on my Model 3 i had a hard time getting the plugs out since it was winter and they were gunked up with snow/ice and sand. used a spray bottle with hot water to melt the ice and rinse the sand off. no issues getting them in though.

Another hour wasted tonight, still no way the rear plug goes in and hesitant to try the others at this point.

Emailed EV and basically they said keep trying.They also suggested I bent the bracket pushing too hard (umm well yeah) and to use a hook to pull it back which I did: Just. Won’t. Go. In.

So far this purchase has been a disaster. The clip is simply a bit too thick for the rear hole at least on my car. Stock ones go in and out with ease but are too short for the EV mud flap.

Another hour wasted tonight, still no way the rear plug goes in and hesitant to try the others at this point.

Emailed EV and basically they said keep trying.

So far this purchase has been a disaster. The clip is simply a bit too thick for the rear hole at least on my car. Stock ones go in and out with ease but are too short for the EV mud flap

Emailed EV and basically they said keep trying.

So far this purchase has been a disaster. The clip is simply a bit too thick for the rear hole at least on my car. Stock ones go in and out with ease but are too short for the EV mud flap
Maybe try to find a similar length plugs as EV Mud flaps but a bit smaller? Canadiantire should have them.