Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading the model 3 exterior forum pages this morning and stumbled on a thread where around 150 users were buying mud guards in a bid to avoid stone chips behind each of the wheels often experienced in poor weather on these cars.

Is anyone else considering some preemptive measures in the event this could be a problem?

There does seem to be an issue with at least some cars suffering paint damage on the sills. I’ve gone for a set as part of the group buy as they aren’t too expensive - think the price now is $40 and shipping to the Uk was $36. They haven’t turned up yet but neither has the car. The other alternative is adding PPF film but that’s quite expensive.

It sounds like a good idea. Is there a view on whether they create any drag and thus affect the efficiency?

I've been considering some and asked this. Not sure what ones it was, but someone who had fitted them said any range loss was negligible (maybe not even measurable in normal use) as they were in the dirty air part behind the wheels.

I'll have a look at the group buy and hopefully they are the Canadian ones with 3 different versions. As I am planning on keeping the car for many years, my concern is less about paint chipping, more about it being compromised in a way that leads to rust. Would hate to go back to the bad old days of sills rusting out of cars. Doesn't help with the inferences that other rust protection corners have been cut.

Reactions: LEE3
The ones I ordered are actually in this thread "Group buy opportunity" for reasonably priced Mud Flaps (Model 3) (I’ve picked the page with pictures as should give you an idea of how they look). I’m not sure about the metal bit behind the rear mud flap but figured I’ll be getting the car protection wrapped anyway, it may only be a temporary solution (not sure yet when that will be as installers are v busy but don’t want to book anything until get the car and have it detailed/paint corrected and can live without the car for a couple of days). Both the Canadian and carbon fibre ones look good but both are pretty expensive and in the case of the carbon fibre ones I do wonder if they are a bit too small to deal with things like gritted roads in the UK.

The ones I ordered are actually in this thread "Group buy opportunity" for reasonably priced Mud Flaps (Model 3) (I’ve picked the page with pictures as should give you an idea of how they look). I’m not sure about the metal bit behind the rear mud flap but figured I’ll be getting the car protection wrapped anyway, it may only be a temporary solution (not sure yet when that will be as installers are v busy but don’t want to book anything until get the car and have it detailed/paint corrected and can live without the car for a couple of days). Both the Canadian and carbon fibre ones look good but both are pretty expensive and in the case of the carbon fibre ones I do wonder if they are a bit too small to deal with things like gritted roads in the UK.

Does that mount involve drilling a hole through the sill? If so, that's a non-starter for me. I'm just going to apply ppf in those sensitive areas. These people who are having major issues, are they driving on loose road surfaces on a regular basis? Some of the pictures look like they've been driven down gravel roads at high speed!