Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud tires M/T on 19"model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

This might sound a little bit crazy and I think it also might be crazy but I would be interested in putting my tires or M/T tires on my P85D using 19 OEM inch rims.

I can't seem to find any out there except for one that I find, which about $370 per tire. As this is a crazy experience I don't wanna spend $1600 to see what the MS and how it looks and feels. I will be driving it in the winter and live in the Boston area. I know that regular winter tires on those 19s would probably work better, I'm just looking for something fun / different to do.

And I don't have a daily commute so I'm not concerned about how loud they are, etc. can anyone point me into the right direction to find some less expensive 245/45/19 mud tires?

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Ed

You're right I just re-checked the tires that I said were 45s and they're actually 55s which would throw everything off by about 8% so no good there.

I have another question for you and the group. Is there anyone out there making 18 inch steelies for the MS? That would be the ultimate! Thank you for any help! Ed

Hey I'm also from Boston and looking to do the same thing. I upgraded my wheels from 19" to the factory 21" on my 2015 MS 85D but I just had a baby and I want to go back to the 19" but with a winter tire 55. The height would be less than tye factory 21" so I don't see the issue. Did you ever do your MT project?

Before you decide to get the tires it’s worth to get to know about the suspension settings on your car. On Model S there is very little space in the front wheel well and as of that it’s not recommended to go above the factory settings. If you ever get the aftermarket rims fitted snug (not in touch with the suspension) then the wider/higher tires will start to rub. Rear axle is a bit better but you would like to be sure the wider rims/tires does not rub on the inner side of the wheel well.
On the same suggested page is one another section about speed rating (load and speed rating) and if you choose winter tires with speed rating Q/R/S or even T then you will be all good. Of course you will get higher consumption with this selection but why do you need all terrain tires? We have here almost six month “bad skiing weather“ - saying in our area for continuous freezing weather and the winter tyres do coupe with everyday commute. Doing this with OEM 19” fifth winter in a row.
And for OP, you will find that 18” rim size will be impossible to fit on your car. Just reminder if you try.