TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mullen 700e (CODA reborn)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by SwedishAdvocate, Nov 20, 2014.

1. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

2. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Second World looks are impressive.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Claimed "up to 180 miles" of range must be at 35mph.

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Might be some good news to existing Coda owners if it means parts of some kind become available again.

6. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Yeah. I wonder who's responsible for exterior and interior design. That individual probably killed the company when he/she signed off on that design.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I might be mistaken, but I vaguely recall something about them saving money by building off an old (mitsubishi?) chassis.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Coda (electric car) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [SUP]

Hafei Saibao EV: The First Chinese-made Car to Be Sold in the U.S.? | ChinaAutoWeb

hafeisaibaoev005.jpg
    [/SUP]

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Thanks TEG. Maybe it's the color choice, but I actually like the look of the Chinese original better.

10. miimura

miimura Active Member

I remember UQM took a big writedown when it became clear the Coda would not take delivery of the pipeline of parts that UQM had built for them. I wonder if they're in the picture for the re-birth.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#11 cwerdna, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Any news on this?

Mullen 700e | Mullen Motor Company is lacking in real info.

When going thru News | Mullen Motor Company, I found Mullen Technologies, Inc. has announced the final arrival of the initial line of the Mullen 700e All Electric Vehicles | Mullen Motor Company which says

Emphasis added is mine.

Really? 1,000 per month that they plan to prepare? Do they really think they can move 1,000 a month of these in the US? Will it not go on sale until November 2016 or at some point earlier? Seems odd to not show it elsewhere earlier (e.g. Detroit auto show in January).

From Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group) - Page 41, it seems like Coda only was able to sell about 100 vehicles in total. For reference, Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard is what use EV/PHEV monthly sales look like.

12. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Still a POS. Pass...

13. LuigiV

LuigiV Member

How the hell do these guys already have 6 products in the pipeline and how are they all so hideous? The Carbon Fibre GT is especially and assault on the eyes.

1dypUMl.jpg
    9IEZARp.jpg
    13Ihsue.gif

$150 for that? You're joking right? Looks like a Miata competitor not a supercar.

14. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Wow, I think it actually looks like one of those small electric cars for kids. The proportions are all wrong.

15. LuigiV

LuigiV Member

The paint job is all wrong too. Makes the car look like a plastic toy. The cheap looking wheels don't help either.

16. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

If those are real.... Seriously looks like something my little sister's Ken barby-doll would drive....

17. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

This is awesome!

I own a Coda, a 2013 actually.

The reality, and I'll get slack on this I'm sure, it is built very similar to the Tesla Roadster...

Here is why I say that:

GREAT drive-train, very torque heavy motor, solid controller, larger battery capacity (ie. better range than rest of market) and better charging (faster charging rate than rest of market). Now of course the Roadster is way quicker and also has better charging speed, however the Coda has a battery chemistry that will last longer than a Roadster and is safer (LiFePO4). The Coda does win in controller operation though; its smoother than the Roadster, regen is much more elegant, there is a short delay between releasing accelerator pedal and regen kicking in and there is also a dynamic regen which is different based on your speed, unlike the roadster when you release the accelerator on the highway the Coda doesn't make you feel like you are slamming on the brakes (jerky hwy driving experience when cruise-control isn't engaged in the Roadster), it coasts for a little bit and then gradually builds up regen, at slower speeds it kicks on stronger regen and brings you to a complete stop (similar to Roadster).

Now interior fit and finish; Roadster has so few things that it is hard to compare, Tesla didn't develop much of the interior, mostly it is Lotus, which is decent quality (not $100K car quality but decent). The Coda suffers here, the Saibao fit/finish quality in the interior is "Chinese", it is totally functional but very "plasticky" and somewhat cheap feeling. The radio/GPS is interestingly enough the exact same as the Roadster 2.5 (the Alpine double-din touchscreen) but the Coda integrates the telemetry into that unit vs the Roadster having a 2nd touchscreen elsewhere (Tesla provides WAY more content though, Coda only gives very basic information)...

The Coda is actually a really nice car if you are an EV guy like myself, it is built with solid EV components and has a better range than everything except the Teslas (100-120 miles range on Coda) but for FAR less money...

By the way, my review is based on owning both a Roadster and Coda! I am currently driving a Coda but I'm selling it and getting a Roadster again!!! (Note; this does not mean I think the Roadster is a better EV value, but I like/love sports cars and really want to be back in the Roadster, which is the ultimate EV sportscar still)

Anyways, don't be so hard on Coda, they are good cars (from an EV perspective), they just chose the wrong platform, they should have done the same thing as Tesla and used something "exotic" enough that people wouldn't recognize the "EV markup" (remember a Lotus Elise is only a $50K car brand new, so there was a $50K+ markup on the "EV analog", vs Haifei Saibao which is a $12K car marked up by $25K or less...), its a totally different market approach though...

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimate car to do the "Tesla approach" with is now the Lotus Evora, I believe it would make a hotter conversion than the Roadster was... Hoping Tesla Model R will be Evora-like!!!

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#19 cwerdna, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Mullen announces the availability for immediate sale of its 2012 and 2013 model 700e used car fleet | Mullen Technologies, Inc. - dated 10/26/15
    Weird.

I guess these are just leftover Codas or whatever they decided to complete assembly of from leftover Coda parts.

19. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Looks like another artificial selection tool à la Chevy Cavalier.