Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-camera / Quad-camera solution for Model S / X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are now working on a solution of multi-camera solution for Model S / X of which provide more comprehensive blind spot monitoring to the user. This multi-camera solution is to display the camera images on the Tesla screen by the respective display mode can be switched by the control on the steering wheel.

The multi-camera solution can adopt up to 3 pieces 720p cameras (frontview, left-view, right-view), altogether with the factory rear-camera, as a result of maximum 4 cameras for the blind-spot monitoring, with the output LVDS signal directly to the AP Engine or the HDMI Interface Box. Which means, if you don't have the HDMI Interface Box, you can still use this multi-camera box in order to perform up to 4 camera views (front/left/right/rear) for upgrading the blind-spot monitoring for daily use.

We are working on the PCB layout of this project, would probably to have the 1st working prototype by end/June.
cameras topview.jpg
Multicamera functional block diagram.jpg

Each of the display view is implemented by triggering the CAN signal. For rearview is triggered by "R" transmission, leftview by left turn indicator, right0-view by right turn indicator, and front-view by D/N transmission.

trigger mechanism.jpg

I am definitely interested in having blind spot cameras. BearBu, would it be possible to use factory Tesla side marker cameras for this? I have an AP1 model S and would love to add the newer side marker cameras from a newer model s and integrate them.
If you have a system that I can use Tesla side marker cameras and they will turn on with signal light I will buy a system right away to try it out. I’m happy to beta test if you like as well.

BearBu, Impressive. In your #1 post you used these words "...output LVDS signal directly to the AP Engine... ". Is that accurate? output... directly to the AP Engine? I am using artsci's front cam kit on an AP 2 Model S. The way its wired is we intercept the signal coming out of the AP Engine and switch/swap between front and rear camera before it goes into the center console display. You are going to feed the camera signal into the AP Engine?

Also are you going to use the AP 2.0+ fender/side camera output to gather video or will it be add-on camera mounted else where and if so, where?

Thanks

Impressive. I will be interested. And for what its worth, I have been using my front cam kit for 5+ years now.

BearBu, Impressive. In your #1 post you used these words "...output LVDS signal directly to the AP Engine... ". Is that accurate? output... directly to the AP Engine? I am using artsci's front cam kit on an AP 2 Model S. The way its wired is we intercept the signal coming out of the AP Engine and switch/swap between front and rear camera before it goes into the center console display. You are going to feed the camera signal into the AP Engine?

Also are you going to use the AP 2.0+ fender/side camera output to gather video or will it be add-on camera mounted else where and if so, where?

Thanks

Impressive. I will be interested. And for what its worth, I have been using my front cam kit for 5+ years now.

Hi Akikiki,

Sorry for misleading, the LVDS out from our Quad camera board is actually connected to the LVDS out (black plug) on the APE.

Cannot use the repeater camera (AP2.0 and +) because the signal is different, I would prefer to use the after market 720p camera with AHD signal output. Also, not using the repeater camera because it's getting complicated to decode the LVDS signal from repeater cameras. Maybe I will make a stand-alone decoder board for repeater camera / B-pillar camera later for fun.

For mounting issue, the front camera is easy. But for the 2 sides (left / right), initially we would pick the camera case for 360, which means it is required to drill the side mirror for installing the camera and wire routing.

side camera.jpg
supplementary02.jpg
camera on side camera.jpg

Reactions: Duke-U
Hi BearBu, OUCH !!, that hurts my hand and my foot to drill a hole that big even in the mirror.

I like your idea of designing a decode board so you can use the existing camera. I encourage you to do a poll and see who would like the OEM camera versus add-on/drilled. Even if it requires a wait - more. :)

Fan of your work. Please keep doing.

And back to your most recent post "the LVDS out from our Quad camera board is actually connected to the LVDS out (black plug) on the APE". To out's connect to each other? Hmmm, is that bi-polar, b-sexual, or bi-outtie. Never heard of two outs going in.

Reactions: nanimac
Hi Akikiki,

Sorry for misleading, the LVDS out from our Quad camera board is actually connected to the LVDS out (black plug) on the APE.

Cannot use the repeater camera (AP2.0 and +) because the signal is different, I would prefer to use the after market 720p camera with AHD signal output. Also, not using the repeater camera because it's getting complicated to decode the LVDS signal from repeater cameras. Maybe I will make a stand-alone decoder board for repeater camera / B-pillar camera later for fun.

For mounting issue, the front camera is easy. But for the 2 sides (left / right), initially we would pick the camera case for 360, which means it is required to drill the side mirror for installing the camera and wire routing.

View attachment 411823 View attachment 411819 View attachment 411820

Love the idea of having a 360 view around the car. Tesla should offer this oem.

Any wind noise issues having the cameras protrude under the mirrors ?

Reactions: RScottyL
Hi BearBu, OUCH !!, that hurts my hand and my foot to drill a hole that big even in the mirror.

I like your idea of designing a decode board so you can use the existing camera. I encourage you to do a poll and see who would like the OEM camera versus add-on/drilled. Even if it requires a wait - more. :)

Fan of your work. Please keep doing.

And back to your most recent post "the LVDS out from our Quad camera board is actually connected to the LVDS out (black plug) on the APE". To out's connect to each other? Hmmm, is that bi-polar, b-sexual, or bi-outtie. Never heard of two outs going in.
How to make a poll?

If the side cams are installed to the side mirrors the cams will probably point wrong way when the mirrors are folded in, right? I have pretty narrow door opening in my garage, abt 3" clearance on the both sides iwo side mirrors so I'll probably have to keep the mirrors folded when driving in and backing out (speculation at this point as I haven't received my S yet).

How to make a poll?
You would need to start a new thread. Of course you could use almost exactly the same name as this thread and add Survey or Poll to the end of the title. And on that new thread page, you scroll down about a full page where you see info for setting up the poll.

Sometimes we can still edit the very first thread in an existing thread. If you can, you might want to put a link to your new poll thread.
Or naturally, you can add a link in this thread to a new post. (Everyone reads your threads and posts, so I am confident you are going to reach a lot of folks.)

Great idea Bearbu -- there's definitely a market for this.

Does the install entail installing 3 cameras in total (one front and 2 in side mirrors ?)

Can't believe Tesla doesn't offer this as a factory option - makes so much sense.

Summon could probably even benefit from the enhanced views when parking (to watch out for curbs in front of the car etc.

Guys, for the side cameras, I actually have some uncertainties:

Actually the ideal case is to have the side camera casing which suits for all versions of vehicle (S/X) from AP0 to AP3, this is why I came up the idea to use the 360 side camera casing (mounted under the side camera).
I have actually considered to custom make a repeater camera casing (with the AHD camera) for AP0 and AP1 vehicle, but as a result that the AP2+ vehicle cannot benefit from it.

For AP2.0 : If making the decoder board for repeater camera, the CMOS sensor is preset as CCCR output, which makes the image to be monochrome and red only. Also the cost of the decoder board is high

So the side camera part is not yet finalized, just need to make the PCB ready for testing first.

Your 360 system plugs into the HDMI going to the center screen why not just make 4 camera switcher with cameras that plug into same HDMI interface would that be simpler.
Sell the switcher and four cameras as an option just like your 360 system