Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-camera / Quad-camera solution for Model S / X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great News Tommy! I suggest you offer the system with the non-stock Right and Left Cameras if its ready! I dont think many of us mind drilling mirrors, and possibly side view angle will be better with the cameras on the mirrors.
camera-on-side-camera-jpg.411820

Reactions: Inside and KyleDay
Great News Tommy! I suggest you offer the system with the non-stock Right and Left Cameras if its ready! I dont think many of us mind drilling mirrors, and possibly side view angle will be better with the cameras on the mirrors.
camera-on-side-camera-jpg.411820
Especially those of us with AP 2.0 (not 2.5) cars that have RCCC color filter cameras where an image off the repeater cameras may look weird and the 3rd party RGB cameras may give a better picture than the repeater cameras

Reactions: jlv1
Just did a quick testing tonight with 3 Fisheye AHD cameras (installed on my AP1 Model S).

Here are the pics FYI

Frontview camera (180degree super wide viewing angle)
FEC2398C-AF4C-4568-9F7A-7CBE0DC73979.jpeg

Left side view camera (180degree super wide viewing angle)
26BAD7A0-A9BA-40A0-B706-BD3366FC4DC6.jpeg

Right side view camera (180degree super wide viewing angle) with 90 degree rotated

35F7EB37-0CB0-4406-A0CD-98B7C3D688CE.jpeg

Is it viable to have all the side views to be shown like the left side view (horizontal view), or shown in the form of vertical view (like the right side view) from the above demo pics?

Attachments

• D3E7BCEB-17A6-4AD2-B857-EE04C7F04511.jpeg
    D3E7BCEB-17A6-4AD2-B857-EE04C7F04511.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 8A515700-A7EF-419A-866F-67DFFF064607.jpeg
    8A515700-A7EF-419A-866F-67DFFF064607.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 160
Just did a quick testing tonight with 3 Fisheye AHD cameras (installed on my AP1 Model S).

Here are the pics FYI

Frontview camera (180degree super wide viewing angle)
View attachment 430717

Left side view camera (180degree super wide viewing angle)
View attachment 430718

Right side view camera (180degree super wide viewing angle) with 90 degree rotated

View attachment 430739

Is it viable to have all the side views to be shown like the left side view (horizontal view), or shown in the form of vertical view (like the right side view) from the above demo pics?

I think the right and left cameras should be like:
upload_2019-7-18_10-35-6.png

This aspect ratio is more optimized for the car's length

GREAT JOB BEAR BU CANT WAIT!

Amazing work @BearBu !

How soon do you think the whole kit will be available for purchase for AP2+ vehicles ?

What do you think the projected cost to buy will end up being on this ?

FWIW, i think the drilled in camera is definitely the way to go - looks sooooooooooo much better aesthetically.

And I definitely think the best quality cameras are the way to go 4K would be amazing - but at least 1080p

Thanks guys!

I need some input from you guys about the OSD (graphic overlay) for each of leftview , right view and Frontview

Initially I only make single arrow.

Gimme some idea if convenience ;)

Graphic Limitation:
- resolution : 1280 x 720
- file format : .bmp
- color depth : 8bit
- use of color : Max. 6 colors

Thanks
Tommy

Amazing work @BearBu !

How soon do you think the whole kit will be available for purchase for AP2+ vehicles ?

What do you think the projected cost to buy will end up being on this ?

FWIW, i think the drilled in camera is definitely the way to go - looks sooooooooooo much better aesthetically.

And I definitely think the best quality cameras are the way to go 4K would be amazing - but at least 1080p

Don't have timeline about the production schedule, as this board is still in development, still a few hardware / software modification has got to be done.

The total cost of this kit (including 3 fisheye AHD camera) would be similar to the HDMI Interface Box. Still finding the AHD camera with better image quality

For the camera resolution, it has to be the 720p camera because the output resolution on the MCU is 720p

Last edited:
Just upload a testing video. This video showing the switching between the AHD leftview camera and stock rearview camera.

Please note that the switching "to" or "from" the stock rearview camera requires approx. 1 second (for AP0, AP1) and it's around 0.5 for AP2.0/AP2.5/AP3.0. It's the image detection issue from the MCU.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Don't have timeline about the production schedule, as this board is still in development, still a few hardware / software modification has got to be done.

The total cost of this kit (including 3 fisheye AHD camera) would be similar to the HDMI Interface Box. Still finding the AHD camera with better image quality

For the camera resolution, it has to be the 720p camera because the output resolution on the MCU is 720p

Thanks @BearBu .

How much is the HDMI Interface box ?

And would you need to buy both for this to work ? ( or do you think you might sell a single plug and play kit including cameras and everything needed to have working surround cameras ?

Also, is it possible to take a board and cameras from a different manufacturer ie Mercedes or BMW and use that ?