Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-camera / Quad-camera solution for Model S / X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tommy I'd like to propose a question to you.
I have an early car no autopilot. Suppose I were to buy Tesla cameras left and right I am talkin about the cameras from Tesla the ones they install I would have the cameras that mount nicely into my fender. I could then run the wire to your interface box and have rear left and right Tesla cameras and then come up with some camera for the front.
Let me know what you think if this might be possible.

Tommy I'd like to propose a question to you.
I have an early car no autopilot. Suppose I were to buy Tesla cameras left and right I am talkin about the cameras from Tesla the ones they install I would have the cameras that mount nicely into my fender. I could then run the wire to your interface box and have rear left and right Tesla cameras and then come up with some camera for the front.
Let me know what you think if this might be possible.

I am hoping to do the exact same thing. I have already installed the fender cameras in my model S. Now I’m just waiting on the interface hardware to be completed. Hopefully Tommy can get it finished and working properly in the near future. I can’t wait to have blind spot cameras.

Reactions: DrHoon
Hi Bearbu, have you given more thought to making a decoder board for the side repeaters? I have an AP1 MS refresh, replacing the side markers with side repeater cameras from a salvage car. I want my car to appear as if it has Sentry Mode to the casual observer...maybe they won’t key my car again if they think they’re being watched. I already own your HDMI switch, don’t need 360 viewing for driving the car, solely want to capture side/rear footage as a security feature, and I would buy such a thing from you. I wonder how many other AP1 owners might be interested in the same upgrade?

Thanks!

Hi Akikiki,

Cannot use the repeater camera (AP2.0 and +) because the signal is different...it's getting complicated to decode the LVDS signal from repeater cameras. Maybe I will make a stand-alone decoder board for repeater camera / B-pillar camera later for fun.

View attachment 411823 View attachment 411819 View attachment 411820

Reactions: cliffud
sorry for the belated update.

development update:
- decoded the video signal from repeater camera yesterday. As far as I know that all cameras use the same CMOS sensor, which means the decoder board can decode the b-pillar camera and other cameras too
- the image color, quality is not right, need further fine-tune
- next step is to do the image fine-tune and create a FPDLink bridge between the camera and AP board (that's the most difficult technical issue needed to be solved), hope we can make solve it soon!

repeater camera image.jpg

sorry for the belated update.

development update:
- decoded the video signal from repeater camera yesterday. As far as I know that all cameras use the same CMOS sensor, which means the decoder board can decode the b-pillar camera and other cameras too
- the image color, quality is not right, need further fine-tune
- next step is to do the image fine-tune and create a FPDLink bridge between the camera and AP board (that's the most difficult technical issue needed to be solved), hope we can make solve it soon!

View attachment 471368
That's great news, thanks for the update Tommy!