TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Multi-coat red paint match help

Discussion in 'Canada' started by elecanuck, Apr 30, 2015.

1. elecanuck

elecanuck Member

#1 elecanuck, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    I need some help finding a good auto paint shop to match up my bumper to the rest of the car, here's the story...

IMG_20150320_180709.jpg

Following to closely (dumb..), ended up with the above... appropriate tears shed for a dream car with 2000 km on it

Sent it to Excellence through TD insurance, great communication all along, $7000 for parts, $6000 for labour, delivered to my door the night it was finished!

IMG_4484.jpg IMG_4489.jpg

Unfortunately the daylight revealed the paint didn't match at all, no problem, Excellence sent their driver immediately to collect it, returned later the same week, again right to my door, great service.

IMG_4505.jpg IMG_20150424_140037.jpg

Damaged side was flawless, the other side of the new bumper not so much. I drove the car myself back to Excellence, they agreed to try to match the bumper again, left with a rental. Car done that very day! I went back to pick it up, improved but not ideal, was told because the bumper is plastic they couldn't match it any better, I thanked them, sent them an Edible Arrangement for stellar service (not so much the paint job but I think they really tried their best)

post accident 3rd attempt
    IMG_20150430_133319.jpg
    pre accident
    IMG_4237.JPG

So I'm left with the above, not so bad in low light but noticeable in the daytime compared to the bottom one taken before the accident.

Does anyone know a specialty auto paint 'fixer' in the GTA that might take this on? I went to Tesla service and they essentially said Excellence was it and I could try others if I wanted.

Or will it just get worse and I should forget about it?

Thanks

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

What about getting your insurance company involved? They can hold payment for a job you are not satisfied with or is done correctly.

If it truly can't be fixed properly, which I doubt, then you are due some loss of value!

3. elecanuck

elecanuck Member

Insurance has signed off on it and paid in full but still in communication with me. I'm working that route but they'll want to know where to send it for the 4th attempt.

4. scott2613

scott2613 Member

When we replace the bumper on a multicoat (three stage) finish, we always blend all the adjacent panels. That's the only way to guarantee a match. The multicoat red can be very difficult. We found on that color it pays to use the same product the factory uses. (Glasurit). When we had problems, BASF helped us further with a special tint formula.