TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Multi-coat red should be called multi-color red

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, May 4, 2013.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The multi-coat red is really extraordinary as the color seems to change quite dramatically under various lighting conditions. In low light it looks very much like the signature red but in bright light it becomes a more orange-red. The longer I have the car the more I love it.

Here are few shots in bright sun that show the orange side of the red.

DSC_3281.JPG

DSC_3282.JPG

DSC_3287.JPG

DSC_3288.JPG

DSC_3289.JPG

DSC_3291.JPG

2. DLM270

DLM270 #7773

I definitely AGREE with you. Not only a GREAT car, but the BEST color possible.
    Santa Cruz.jpg IMG_1562.JPG

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

For sure. Before I finalized my order, I was disappointed that the Signature wasn't available to us non-signature buyers, but not anymore. And I'm so pleased I switched from blue.

4. setritt

setritt p6652

To each their own. I thought the red is great but I'm very happy I didn't get it. The red wouldn't work for me but I appreciate its beauty anyways.

5. DLM270

DLM270 #7773

I was also leaning towards the Blue because it was available sooner, but my wife insisted we wait for the RED......and I am so happy we did. My neighbor has the blue and it is very nice, but I think the RED is much better.

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

This second shot here, is stunning! Good angle, good composure.
    I had a red RX7 back in the day. Loved that car too.

Originally I was thinking I'd go with the metallic brown (black was always in the mix), soon dropped that. Then our local store showroom has two stunning whites there. I've been waffling about black vs white (committed with black tho)... but man this red..... super nice.

7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Wow the red looks amazing!

8. MarkR

MarkR Member

I loved the blue color on my first MS, but I hated the time it took to keep it clean. Now I've ordered Red and think I'll be happier. I suppose I could have ordered grey just because it shows the least dirt, but I doubt that I'd be able to live with myself if I had an exciting car in a color that is really boring.

9. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

I dont really see the orange-red, just pure red.... pure beautiful red :love:

10. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I agree--love the red, especially in low light and in evening/morning daylight.

11. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I love my mc red P85. While the Tesla is a head turner no matter what the color, mc red adds to it. I get lots of smiles, waves and compliments on the car. People mention the color a lot. The other day a woman on the cross walk stops in front of my car - I lip read "what a beautiful car". She lingers and the light changes. Didn't have the heart to honk at her (the guy behind me did, though).

12. Lump

Lump Active Member

Red in shadows

DSCN2763222.jpg IMG_0341.JPG

13. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Mark -
    I've seen a few red's on the road now, including one on 51 the other day. Fantastic color. I think if I'd seen it in person before finalizing my order that I would have gone with it instead of the white I got...

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

A buddy of mine has a multicoat red. I've got a black. Whenever we go out people inevitably notice his car first, start asking questions about it, and then only notice my black Model S sitting there next to it when we point it out.

The red looks fantastic, eye catching, and will get more attention. If you want stealth and to blend in a bit, go with black. If you want a bit more attention go with red.

15. skdave

skdave Member

I love my red S Model. For many years I drove my Red SC430 and got tons of looks and nice comments. Now I get even more comments with the S Model. Glad I spent the extra $1500 for this red..

16. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Thanks for posting beautiful pics. Now that you are 1 1/2 years on with the car, can you share with us how difficult it is to keep it looking good?

My first choice was silver, since that is one of the most forgiving colors for hiding dust and road dirt, and it looks very nice, but the multi-coat red looks absolutely stunning.

17. JPP

JPP Active Member

Mine still looks great almost 2 years after delivery (though I did have it OptiCoated...huge difference). The color is like a chameleon, always changing depending on lighting. Beautiful...never boring. Would get it again in a heartbeat.

18. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Artsci - your comment has me concerned now! The wife doesn't want the red and wants the blue. I'm leaning towards the red as it is a stunning color. The blue is almost black. I have a black Volt now - hard as hell to keep it clean! I wonder if I could talk her into the red .... I need to try.

19. Sigma4Life

Sigma4Life Member

I'll throw a picture of my brand new MC Red into the hat as well.

2015-03-29 17.40.20.jpg

20. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

My '64 1/2 Mustang is poppy red. Love that orange glow to it, and looks like the Tesla gives off that same glow.