Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi Coat Red -Touch up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a multi coat red M3, it looks amazing especially when polished. But the numerous little stone chips annoy me, they show up as white dots or the really bad ones show up as silver as they must be right back to the metal.

I have some touch up which consists of a base coat and then a red lacquer coat. The base coat is too dark to match, but the lacquer coat is perfect for the little white dots.

Has anyone found a good colour matched base coat to use on the deep stone chips?

Thanks for your replies.
I read a review of Chipex which was for the white pearlescent touch up saying that it wasn't a very close match.... probably due to it being a pearlescent finish, which seems to be problematic to get right.
The Dr Colorchip doesn't seem to post to the UK, just the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.
Tesla don't sell touch up for these in the UK, but you would think they would do.

I have a multi coat red M3, it looks amazing especially when polished. But the numerous little stone chips annoy me, they show up as white dots or the really bad ones show up as silver as they must be right back to the metal.
I have some touch up which consists of a base coat and then a red lacquer coat. The base coat is too dark to match, but the lacquer coat is perfect for the little white dots.
Has anyone found a good colour matched base coat to use on the deep stone chips?

I have a Chipex paint kit for a red 3 on the way to sort a minor scratch so will let you know how I get on.

Reactions: Avendit
I have a Chipex paint kit for a red 3 on the way to sort a minor scratch so will let you know how I get on.

Thanks... please do.

I think maybe the issue i'm having is that different stone chips are on different materials and have different base colours, so getting one system that works for all areas is difficult. The bonnet, wings, doors etc are metal with a white base coat and silver metal finish below that (if you are unlucky enough to have deep chips). The front bumper seems to be black plastic, which makes it hard to cover successfully.

I have a multi coat red M3, it looks amazing especially when polished. But the numerous little stone chips
Our of interest where do you get the worst stone chips? I getting them on the rear sill just in front of rear wheels. M3P with mud flaps! This mud splatter tells a lot about the aerodynamics of the M3 (yes I know we should not use this abreviation)

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_155146440_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200705_155146440_HDR.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 578
Our of interest where do you get the worst stone chips? I getting them on the rear sill just in front of rear wheels. M3P with mud flaps! This mud splatter tells a lot about the aerodynamics of the M3 (yes I know we should not use this abreviation)

I have a few there too, but most of mine were on the front bonnet and front areas of the wings.
I have some very annoying ones on the lowest part of the front bumper that now show black plastic.
Am going to my local car repair shop soon to get a quote for a wing respray due to a couple of deep chips that just will not touch up correctly.

The kit from Touchupdirect is here. Looks like it's a 3 part application: basecoat, midcoat and clear. Should be interesting to apply. I only have a few small rock chips on the front bumper so I'll probably try it over the weekend... if it doesn't get too hot.

upload_2020-7-22_20-41-57.png

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Just a thought - the area under the Frunk would make an excellent place to test any paint - It is relatively easy to access and wouldn't require much masking. The results wouldn't need to be perfect as it is already not completely coated with the top coat in all areas (as it doesn't need to be).

The kit from Touchupdirect is here. Looks like it's a 3 part application: basecoat, midcoat and clear. Should be interesting to apply. I only have a few small rock chips on the front bumper so I'll probably try it over the weekend... if it doesn't get too hot.

View attachment 567860

Looks like a fun weekend ahead lol.
Is the clear coat actually clear, or is it actually a red tinted lacquer?

Yeah also interested how any of you red guys got on. Reading this thread makes me super glad that I got my front end PPF'd and behind the back wheels, but i've got a couple chips (one really obvious one just below the rear quarter window somehow) that i'd like to touch up at some stage.