Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat Red with Tesla Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arondaniel

Il Sessanta Caricato
Sep 20, 2011
Memphis
Did any new reds get the Tesla paint armor? What do you think?

My car goes into production next week. I think the armor will work for me so long as the application is done well, and it's not super noticeable. Sounds like most here opt for aftermarket... I just can't get that excited about shopping film shops, easier to just give Tesla more money. :smile:

Unless it has changed, Tesla doesn't install the paint armor. They contract it out from your closest service center. Many of us have gone 3rd party because you can get better material and coverage.

I took delivery of our 2013 red MS a week ago. I had originally opted for the 'factory' paint armor, but the more I thought about that partial hood coverage, the more I wavered. I ended up canceling the 'factory' armor and I have an appointment for aftermarket tint and paint armor for Monday. Going for the tint and armor saves a bit of money and hassle, and I didn't have to shop around. There was a fellow forum member who gave a great endorsement for a local place.

I took delivery of our 2013 red MS a week ago. I had originally opted for the 'factory' paint armor, but the more I thought about that partial hood coverage, the more I wavered. I ended up canceling the 'factory' armor and I have an appointment for aftermarket tint and paint armor for Monday. Going for the tint and armor saves a bit of money and hassle, and I didn't have to shop around. There was a fellow forum member who gave a great endorsement for a local place.

Yeah, guess I could have asked Todd Burch what he did since he is local. I mainly just want to be reassured its not a total fail... I don't think it is. May be too late to cancel anyway. I recall from browsing the other thread that at least one owner is happy with it, although he/she may have asked Tesla to fix an imperfect first application.

I've never used film/tint on cars before. I'll be sure to post a picture of the Tesla film on red when it gets here...

-Aron

Stay the course arondaniel. You won't be disappointed. I had the "factory" install and my detailer didn't even know it was there until he started to apply two coats of Glare Pro. Damn near invisible.

7.jpg

Stay the course arondaniel. You won't be disappointed. I had the "factory" install and my detailer didn't even know it was there until he started to apply two coats of Glare Pro. Damn near invisible.

Sweet, thanks for that! I just bought some Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax & Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. Not sure why I picked those. Some forum somewhere I guess.

-Aron

Looks great!!! Do you think you could post a shot of the seam on the hood?

Josh - I will post a photo when I can next do it, that is if I can find the seam. :wink:

Ohms
How did the Glare finish turn out? I was just curious if it had any affect good or bad on the multi coat.

The Glare Pro finish was fantastic. In fact the professional detailer said he had never used a product so good. He was raving about it. All credit goes to artsci.

001865.jpg