TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Multi-day test drive/rental?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dante, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dante

Dante Member

I'm a Model 3 reservation holder, and I've never owned an electric car. As the production start approaches, I'm interested in looking into a test drive of a Model S, but more importantly than just trying the car out for 15-20 minutes and having them show off the bells and whistles (ie. launch mode, autopilot), I'm wondering if any of the Tesla stores offer multi-day 'test drives'. It would be nice to have a feel for what the day-to-day changes you have to make in your driving/charging habits are. Has anyone been able to arrange something like this?

2. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Dog Chauffeur

You can ask about an overnight test drive, but those seem to be very limited. It seems like each store handles that a little differently and you'd have to bring the car back the next morning.

You could try a rental from turo.com There seem to be quite a few Model S on there.

3. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I did it two weeks ago with a Turo rental. I had driven a couple of Model S briefly, but rented one for the weekend and it certainly is nice to have the extended time. I posted my thoughts in a thread in the Model 3 section.

Not sure what part of Canada you're in, if nothing close maybe a weekend trip to the SF Bay area? The lady I rented from was wonderful and she delivers to Oakland airport! ;)

4. azred

azred Member

Unfortunately it takes a few days to start to fully appreciate this car. The "one foot" driving with regenerative braking is so different from an ICE or even a hybrid like my Civic hybrid.

5. Dante

Dante Member

Thanks for the ideas! I was going to be in Calgary for a few days, and thought I'd look into a short term rental of an S while there. Doesn't look like Turo has anything available, but I'd never heard of that website before. I'll be sure to take a look for available cars in Ontario as well.

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Tesla offers extended test drives to induce additional sales, but not really to just give people the "experience" of the ride.

Best to explain to your advisor what you are wanting to do, and see if they will offer you an extended demo.

7. Dante

Dante Member

Looks like only 2 Model S rentals in Canada - Toronto and Vancouver from what I could find. Maybe I'll get in contact with a service centre and see what they say.

8. f-stop

f-stop Member

Overnight test drives are certainly possible, especially if it's clear to your Tesla Store advisor that you're serious about the car, or have some particular concern that could only be answered by an overnight test drive. e.g. when I was considering a Model S, over the few months that passed by after my initial test drive my advisor contacted me a few times with offers of an overnight drive because he knew I was concerned about fitting such a large car in my garage - I eventually took him up on the offer, and made a point of also driving many of my typical routes in the car during the overnight drive.

Also, I went to the recent "weekend social" event at the local Tesla store a few weeks ago. They gave everybody in attendance a coupon to give to a friend with offer for an "exclusive invitation: overnight with Tesla" - so it seems they're eager to offer those overnight test drives right now. The "coupon" doesn't really have anything that would limit the offer to the holder of the coupon - just the normal tel# or instructions to drop into a store for you to schedule your drive. So couldn't hurt for you to drop by your local Tesla store and ask for an overnight if that would really help you decide.

9. Graffi

Graffi Member

If you are waiting for a Model 3 and are not planning to get a Model S, it is my humble opinion that you NOT learn EV on the Model S. Try on a Nissan Leaf or other less expensive EV. In that case you will be VERY happy with the Model 3. If you go from a Model S to a Model 3 you will probably be disappointed. It would be like moving from a Cadillac to a Chevy.

The National Drive Electric Week is coming in September. Here in San Diego we have a big EVent on Saturday, September 9, 2017. At these events visitors will be able to test drive various EVs as well as meet a speak with other EV owners. You may even be able to find someone that lives not too far from you that will allow you to experience EV ownership with them. Just a thought.

• Like x 1
  10. iMrMark

iMrMark Member

Recently did a 24hr test drive myself. I had been coming by the location over a few days, and eventually I just asked over email if they offered extended drives. They said yes and it was super easy to go in and grab the car. I had hoped to go test out a local supercharger station and such, but the 75D battery held up to my abuses really well haha. When I came back to drop off the car the next day, they tried to get me into a Model X for another go of it... upsellllllll. : ]

It was definitely worthwhile taking the 24hr drive. I got to test out AP2 on a good portion of my daily commute that particular day, as well as seeing how comfortable I was with parking it, etc. Order commits tonight; I have been having last minute "ah mah gerd" anxiety over trading in my ICE (both for range as well as 'will I miss it?' thoughts, since I had wanted the BMW I have now for a long time)... the free supercharging announcement really gave me the last push to really take the plunge. My family is just excited I'll have a 4-door car again lol

• Like x 1