Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi storey car parking in a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I clobbered my S's wheels at T2 Heathrow car park but that was my bad driving not the car.

This! I've parked at all the London airports except City numerous times all without serious issues, and I'm fairly crap at parking (see below). Some multi-storey ramps can be stressful because the Model X is so huge, and my missus who is a much better parker than me also experiences this. It's surmountable though. We've definitely clipped a few curbs with the wheel trims, but never any bodywork scrapes. That said, I've driven a few performance models with low-profile tyres, and if you drive over anything bigger than a grain of sand you'll chip those wheel trims. Stressful!

The worst parking experience I've had was in a multi-storey car park in Cardiff, when I managed to parked exactly alongside another car. If you'd've asked The Stig to park more closely, it couldn't be done. We're talking physical contact at both the front and back wheel arches, but not enough to scratch or damage anything: literally less than a millimeter, you couldn't see light through it; you couldn't have gotten a sheet of paper between us; there was hardly any space to turn the wheels. I had one of my staff in the car because we were returning from a work trip, and I had to spend forty-five minutes slowly teasing the car back out, much to the amusement of passers-by. We had to resort to stuff like raising the suspension to try and gain a few microns of clearance. My employee turned this into company folklore of "the time I went extreme parking with Deejay." 😂 The lesson here: don't as as talentless as me at parking :D

I don’t understand multistories. Are the kerbs horribly high to prevent your bodywork getting damaged? Not just the regular spiral ramps either - entry/exits often have kinks in the kerbs when the walls don’t change, and they’re out of view so you can’t predict where the hell they’re going. When I got surround view on my BMW I loved that specifically for stupid car parks and avoiding dinging my wheels. I use the cameras in the Tesla but that only helps my rears - but at least gives me a little context to see if I have space to pull tighter right/left

Reactions: Adopado
One day planning regulators will realise vehicles are much larger than they were in the 70s and they’ll stop allowing car parks being built that can only accommodate old style minis comfortably. Even our flat office car park is full of needlessly high kerbs and tight bays. Plus one space that has a stealth wall running alongside it that is the perfect height to bash your door on.

There are car parks around here that I have to do a 3 point turn to negotiate the turns because they're designed for something the size of an old mini.. There's one where the exit is a spiral concrete tunnel just about wide enough if you're careful. Brown trousers time getting out of that one..

I also managed to scrape the alloys on both sides simultaneously once due to the wierd practice of putting raised kerbs on entrances (with hindsight should just have mounted the kerb rather than trying to slip between them).

And that's on a Y.. I'd hate to even try it on an X.

Reactions: PrGrPa
My partner just got a season ticket for a multi story
If it’s a Qpark then you’re probably okay. They tend to be the only outfit building car parks designed to avoid door bashes or bumper scrapes. And also do a season ticket discount for EVs

NCP though? Notoriously Crappy Parking. They’ll wedge a parking space between 2 support pillars and charge £30 a day.

I wish they’d do what Peugeot does and just draw the front view as you move
Why cannot Tesla give us access to the front camera to help in parking? I recently had to move forward before reversing into a Tesla charger only to run over a kerb in front of me which I could not see. Is there any basic reason that the front camera cannot be accessed to give a forwrd view?

Reactions: MarkThisDay
I wish they’d do what Peugeot does and just draw the front view as you move
Why cannot Tesla give us access to a front camera? The other day in order to reverse into a Tesla charging bay I had to also drive forward first, only to hit a kerb in front of me. Is there any fundamental reason why Tesla cannot let use use a front camera?

If it’s a Qpark then you’re probably okay. They tend to be the only outfit building car parks designed to avoid door bashes or bumper scrapes. And also do a season ticket discount for EVs

NCP though? Notoriously Crappy Parking. They’ll wedge a parking space between 2 support pillars and charge £30 a day.
Yeah it's a Q park still super tight though but only 10 pounds per month which is very cheap