Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi storey car parking in a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Just ordered my Model X and occasionally use multi storey car parks such as Heathrow and Gatwick Airport.
Has anyone safely negotiated the narrow ramps in a Model X.
Worried about the wheels and tyres although will park in premium area to get a wider space. Thx

Has anyone safely negotiated the narrow ramps in a Model X.

IME its more difficult than in a regular-width car ... but doable. My Wife doesn't take the MS to station and town multi-story car parks as she thinks it's way too much hassle ...

Worried about the wheels and tyres

There are some Gaters you can get to protect the alloys. I've seen stories of them coming off and flailing the bodywork ... but I reckon that is rare compared to preventing curb-rash.

IME its more difficult than in a regular-width car ... but doable. My Wife doesn't take the MS to station and town multi-story car parks as she thinks it's way too much hassle ...

Thanks, yes researched that and having alloygaters fitted straight after delivery

There are some Gaters you can get to protect the alloys. I've seen stories of them coming off and flailing the bodywork ... but I reckon that is rare compared to preventing curb-rash.

multi storey car parks such as Heathrow and Gatwick Airport.

Since noone has answered this specific question, my experience (with an S rather than an X):

Heathrow T2 short stay: no problem at all. Also lots of charging facilities conveniently located (on each floor by the entry ramp so easy to spot, but some distance from the lifts so they don't get ICEd).

Heathrow T3 short stay: more awkward design than T2, but still perfectly OK. Charging only on one floor and not immediately obvious where it is.

Gatwick South Terminal short stay: very tight by comparison (both the access ramps and the spaces). I ended up in a space next to the ramp and took a considerable amount of manoeuvring to get into it. Apparently there is charging here, but it's only 3kW and I didn't bother to search for it.

Since noone has answered this specific question, my experience (with an S rather than an X):

Heathrow T2 short stay: no problem at all. Also lots of charging facilities conveniently located (on each floor by the entry ramp so easy to spot, but some distance from the lifts so they don't get ICEd).

Heathrow T3 short stay: more awkward design than T2, but still perfectly OK. Charging only on one floor and not immediately obvious where it is.

Gatwick South Terminal short stay: very tight by comparison (both the access ramps and the spaces). I ended up in a space next to the ramp and took a considerable amount of manoeuvring to get into it. Apparently there is charging here, but it's only 3kW and I didn't bother to search for it.

Much appreciated that's really useful info. I will take a lift or a cab to Gatwick short stay then as a lot cheaper than refurbing the wheels! Thanks

Reactions: MarkThisDay
Seem to remember that its Type-2, AND you get 4 hours FREE parking if you get your ticket endorsed ...

Seems you're right (in respect of Gatwick only, not at Heathrow): Electric charging points | Gatwick Airport

So doing a pickup at Gatwick you plug in for the free parking but only pick up a trivial amount of charge, while at Heathrow you pay for the parking but get twice as much charge...

Not sure about the ethics of plugging in there if doing longer stay parking in the short-stay (which, booked in advance, can be quite competitive for a few days away).

Reactions: MarkThisDay