Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Benefits from Casting MY Front and Rear Frame?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bobfitz1

Supporting Member
Sep 24, 2012
Ludlow, Vt
News out the past day is that Giga Berlin Model Ys will have one piece cast front frame as well as rear.

The primary driver for casting front and rear frame is production cost savings. Does anyone following MY closely know if there are other advantages to moving to single piece castings?
I.e. Will the single pieces have lower weight than the assemblies they replace? Potentially increasing range.
Might there be any improvement in the structural dynamics that might provide noticeable improvement in driving dynamics?

A related question. Does Tesla aim to take large scale casting even further using the super casting machine they applied for a patent on? If so, maybe Giga Texas Model Y's will be the first factory to use this even more advanced casting machinery.

Per Sandy Munro, the rear casting is cheaper and lighter than the many parts it replaces, all while improving handling via improved stiffness. While it is logical to extend these attributes to a theoretical front casting, there would be additional challenges, such as incorporating front-end collision safety.

Reactions: Bobfitz1
I think the 3 would benefit way more to a single rear casting (currently using 70+ pieces) vs the Y, which is currently using 2 casting parts connected together. Obviously the Y will benefit some, but not sure if we would be able to really tell in most situations.