Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple breakers tripping when I charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think you are confusing people because the term “Tesla Wall Charger” refers to the hardwired charger you buy separately. The plug in charger (neither of which is a charger, BTW, the charger is in the car) is called the Universal Mobile Connector or the UMC. I take it that’s what you’re using.

and that’s fine. I’ve used mine over two years on a NEMA 14-50 plug without issue. So it’s a proper use case. Agree with the others. As someone who was a home builder for years.......stuff happens. And trades are not infallible, nor are home inspectors. Get a good electrician out. I would discontinue use until then.

Thats what I was thinking too, but there are wall connectors with pigtails as well, and you cant "hardwire" the mobile connector, so its also possible that the OP has a wall connector with a pigtail on it, which is what they said. They also said the issue happens "with my wall and portable charger at the new home", so I think there actually is a wall connector with a pigtail on it being used in this case.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
i think you are confusing people because the term “Tesla Wall Charger” refers to the hardwired charger you buy separately. The plug in charger (neither of which is a charger, BTW, the charger is in the car) is called the Universal Mobile Connector or the UMC. I take it that’s what you’re using.

and that’s fine. I’ve used mine over two years on a NEMA 14-50 plug without issue. So it’s a proper use case. Agree with the others. As someone who was a home builder for years.......stuff happens. And trades are not infallible, nor are home inspectors. Get a good electrician out. I would discontinue use until then.

Thats what I was thinking too, but there are wall connectors with pigtails as well, and you cant "hardwire" the mobile connector, so its also possible that the OP has a wall connector with a pigtail on it, which is what they said. They also said the issue happens "with my wall and portable charger at the new home", so I think there actually is a wall connector with a pigtail on it being used in this case.
Yes there was a brief period where you could buy a HPWC that had a 14-50 plug on it, and based on a reply by the OP this is what i suspect he has.

There is probably a crossed neutral line or a misconnected GFCI downstream someplace that is making this happen.
The best solution is to hire a electrician to diagnose the issue, if you're still under the new home warranty get them to pay for it to be fixed. If they don't pay or are unwilling to do so that is what small claims court is for

Yes there was a brief period where you could buy a HPWC that had a 14-50 plug on it, and based on a reply by the OP this is what i suspect he has.

There is probably a crossed neutral line or a misconnected GFCI downstream someplace that is making this happen.
The best solution is to hire a electrician to diagnose the issue, if you're still under the new home warranty get them to pay for it to be fixed. If they don't pay or are unwilling to do so that is what small claims court is for

Gotcha. Re-read his post and I see he's had this box a while.

I found a master electrician who has installed over 100 Tesla chargers. He inspected the charger and house panels. He corrected a few items on the charger and panel - do not connect neutral wire from charger to panel. I have an Eaton panel - he said their arc fault breakers are very sensitive. Things were working fine up until two days ago. Now the charger stopped working with red light on car charger port. Tesla technician is coming out with a new charger, I hope!!!

I did find a master electrician to come out and inspect my gen2 wall connector and house electric panels. He corrected a few minor issues but nothing to explain the multiple breakers tripping. Finally convinced Tesla to give me a new Gen3 charger - problem persists. My builder used Eaton breakers which he said were hyper sensitive arch faults. He replaced 2 and noticed Eaton was on to version 6 - builder used version 2. The two new version 6 breakers have not tripped yet. Others have tripped overnight but not consistently. Eventually will replace others with new version

Mine did the same thing. It is causing my Eaton AFCI breakers to give a six flash code when I turn the breaker back on that tripped; that code indicates self test error. It stopped happening for over a year, but now I have one circuit tripping again. I’m going to try changing that breaker and see if it stops occurring.