Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple CA Supercharger locations down in past 5 months: breakdowns, vandalism, or theft?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, now I get it. Given what Volkswagen did, I wouldn't put it past them to do other devious things. Everyone of them involved should be jailed, as should people who steal parts from the Superchargers.

These thieves, if ever captured (which I doubt unless they try again), should be prosecuted not only for theft, but perhaps more. Endangerment maybe? People traveling who get stuck could be more than just inconvenienced. What if they miss getting home to take medications, or a tow truck driver is injured having to move the car, etc, etc. I'm sure there are people here who know the law you can think of some clever and accurate additional charges.

Reactions: GSP and thecloud
Looks like you can add Prim NV and Las Vegas Town Square to the list:

"Jamilyn Kamano
April 19 at 10:09am

Good morning Tesla owners, Jamilyn from Tesla service here.

Just as a heads up, we are receiving information pertaining to the Townsquare (Las Vegas Blvd and Sunset) supercharging location to have been vandalized and it is currently down at this time.

Also, the Primm Superchargers are presently down, and look to been have vandalized as well."

Both of these are showing temporary closure on the NAV.

Last year about this time (March 2016, etc.) we had a flood of low grade construction workers come out of Nevada into Silicon Valley, and ever since December 2016, there's been a huge work downturn, with things winding down heavily in late February 2017 - early March. To me this fits with the possibility of theft theory that someone is going around stealing expensive parts once they got a taste of money, lost access to it, and saw some new targets. I have no other insight into it other than that. Possibly now a FBI matter, since it's crossing state lines. On the other hand, maybe the thieves are finally sticking to their home state, and they were only coming in to California because it was an easier target at the time.

Come to think of it, Tesla has had a huge downturn in SuperCharger construction themselves, pretty much on the same timeline as the construction downturn in Silicon Valley. Are they related?

Wild thinking ... SpaceX better get its cubesat infrared/backscatter Xray low earth orbit blanket constellation up there quick ... maybe throw it in the next Falcon Heavy test launch. They could easily track the people causing this at that point with complete certainty, unless they operate out of an underground layer network of tunnels we don't know about (but I have techniques that would even get around that). All I'm saying is it seems like something they could solve if they put their minds to it.

Or ... Tesla can get into the electronic parts manufacturing business, and make all of its equipment trackable and incompatible with anyone else's equipment. Underwriters' Laboratory has an office in San Jose -- it can't be that hard. That way they could control costs and damage.

I'm excited to see what the new faster chargers will operate like. If they are much faster than SuperChargers, they could be put into convenience outlets, because the volume could be high enough that it would allow for a clerk to cashier out people going in for rest stop supplies, much like gas stations with mini marts today.

Long distance travel is "filling in a blank" for Tesla -- it's not their main target for transportation. That's more for Elon's other Boring company, which hasn't yet gone under.

Saw security guards stationed at Gilroy and Vacaville today. Same Securitas uniform sitting in person vehicle as I previously reported at Buttonwillow.

That's interesting. One night we were at the Home Depot down the street from the Gilroy SC maybe a month ago and as we were pulling in saw someone taking things out of a trunk, leaving trunk open and carrying something, like a pry bar maybe, to another car a little distance away. We reported it to CS inside and turned out to be one of the CS people's car and luckily for her I think our pulling up when we did scared them off and she didn't think anything was taken. The employees said that they have had a number of car break ins in that lot recently. Made us think about sitting at the Gilroy SC and leaving your car while charging (it's located in part of the Gilroy Outlets and there's dining nearby too). Glad to hear guards are there patrolling the area now. Although upset that they need to.

BTW when we were going to Carmax in Fremont for our trade-in eval we stopped in the shopping center near them. We saw a guard stationed by the EV charging station near the Panera. At first wondered if he was there to make sure that people without EVs didn't parking there (btw usage was free I believe while shopping) but maybe they too have experienced vandalism. Kind of hard to justify a guard to check on people using the chargers, so vandalism seems more logical.

On my way from Los Angeles to Vegas, I supercharged at the Barstow Supercharger. There was a friendly pair of technicians working near the power cabinets. I asked them if they were working on something to address the theft of the breaker issue a while back. He replied that they were:
1. Installing cameras, motion detectors, lights and sirens by the cabinet.
2. He had just completed the same installation at Fox Hills Mall and was heading to Fresno after Barstow.
3. If the "higher ups" at Tesla approved that this was effective, they would roll this out to more super chargers in California.

One month later...

I used the aforementioned Fresno SuperCharger yesterday, and I saw some new hardware installed next to and above the place where the cabinets are...looked like a dome-type camera and a (maybe motion-activated?) light pointing into the enclosure. That's what I could see from where I was standing, didn't investigate further and there might be other stuff I didn't see.

As an unrelated aside, this weekend totally sucks for anybody with seasonal allergies in the Central Valley...everything's in bloom with winds around 20 mph. AH-CHOO! :(

Bruce.

FB group reporting Barstow got hit again, wires cut at cabinet resulting in 6 stalls being down & people waiting in line.

What happened to security at this site?
I was at the Barstow charger on Wednesday am. There was a guard and a person installing new pedestals. The pedestals were a new integrated design (power cabinet and charger together at each station). Also went to Mojave, Buttonwillow, Harris Ranch, Gustine, Roseville, Corning, Mt. Shasta, Grants Pass(OR), Springfield(OR), and Woodburn. Almost all in CA had security guards. Great trip home from So Cal.

Was at Manteca Thursday and tried to plugged into I think was the 2nd stall. Charging ring remained red. Plugged into two other times same thing. Yesterday tried to charge at Roseville and took the very last stall and similarly it would not charge. Moved to another stall and it was charging very slow I think 28kWh so I left to charge in Rocklin. By the time I left, there were two other cars waiting to charge even though I didn't notice any cars leave while I was there. I also noticed that the original Folsom SC with 4 chargers showed reduced charging from Navigation.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
One month later...

I used the aforementioned Fresno SuperCharger yesterday, and I saw some new hardware installed next to and above the place where the cabinets are...looked like a dome-type camera and a (maybe motion-activated?) light pointing into the enclosure. That's what I could see from where I was standing, didn't investigate further and there might be other stuff I didn't see.
EXCELLENT! Let's hope it does something real.

As an unrelated aside, this weekend totally sucks for anybody with seasonal allergies in the Central Valley...everything's in bloom with winds around 20 mph. AH-CHOO! :(

Bruce.
Aha! I wondered what the hell was going on. I came down with a possibly deadly version of runny nose last night, and I'm a veritable faucet today. I just got home and dove into some antihistamines, and hope they are the old fashioned kind that work, otherwise I'll end up with lounge disease from the stuff going the wrong way. Bruce, thank you for explaining to me what the heck is going on with my body. This is even though I'm all the way over here by Silicon Valley and Monterey Bay; I presume some natural equalities. The weather just turned warm at the same time, so it makes sense it's related.
If you had an MX the BioWeapon filter would be the answer. Really knocks down the pollen.
I've been diving into that filter pretty strongly during my driving and allergies situation I got starting last night. I haven't noticed much help. But, I don't know if the contaminants are in my home, my car, or outside of the car and I just bring them with me into the car. It's kind of like taking Ibuprofen for extreme inflammation: you don't know if the inflammation got worse and the ibuprofen kept it down to the same, or if the inflammation stayed the same and the ibuprofen did nothing useful. I feel like the same thing with the Bioweapon filter. How possible is it that there are leaks in the cabin that counteract the effectiveness of the filter, or an air malfunction that makes it ineffective?

FB group reporting Barstow got hit again, wires cut at cabinet resulting in 6 stalls being down & people waiting in line.

What happened to security at this site?
Security is supposed to help catch these people (whether observe and report or tackle and stop).
I was at the Barstow charger on Wednesday am. There was a guard and a person installing new pedestals. The pedestals were a new integrated design (power cabinet and charger together at each station). Also went to Mojave, Buttonwillow, Harris Ranch, Gustine, Roseville, Corning, Mt. Shasta, Grants Pass(OR), Springfield(OR), and Woodburn. Almost all in CA had security guards. Great trip home from So Cal.
Bolded: These must be the charging paradigm shift I was expecting; just a sort of incremental improvement, by the sounds of it (but doesn't necessarily rule out more shifts). I wonder what their new features are. I especially wonder if one of the new features is better security. They could have the systems built in such a way it is difficult to get out anything that is salable on the black market. I wish it were legal to design in some Darwin Award features, as well, but the Collectivists hate that.

Your list of SC's visited: awesome, and good Tesla has those security guards, hopefully helping, but I wonder at what cost.

Last edited: