Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple cameras blocked or blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

I know this has been discussed but on my car it happens all the time. Please tell me this is a bug because the the cameras are neither blocked or blinded. This is my 3rd Model 3 and my previous 2 cars rarely did this. And I’d also like to option to swipe to remove the alert. your thoughts appreciated.

I get this sometimes when the sun hits the b-pillar cameras at just the right angle and I get it regularly when driving at night. I wish I could ignore the alerts but I find them quite annoying. They need to help the side cameras “see” in the dark better. It knows that I’m traveling forward, it knows the speed, it can see things that are illuminated by the headlights so teach the car that those same things are passing by the side of the car moments later. Seems simple enough to me but I’m sure it’s more complex that I can imagine.

I've had a M3 since October 2021 and get this alert quite often - mostly at night but also sometimes during the day.

I'm wondering if it is linked to the Phantom Braking that I experience when trying to use TACC when there are cars parked on the side of the road (which I find VERY frustrating).

I've had a M3 since October 2021 and get this alert quite often - mostly at night but also sometimes during the day.

I'm wondering if it is linked to the Phantom Braking that I experience when trying to use TACC when there are cars parked on the side of the road (which I find VERY frustrating).
Exactly the same with my October 2021 Fremont-built M3P. Very often at night, and sometimes during the day too. This is my first Tesla with such cameras so I don't really know if this is normal or something might be wrong with my cameras.

I don't recall getting these camera errors so often on AP 2+ Model S loaners over the years, but that could just be my fuzzy memory.

So far my 3 has never refused to do TACC or Autosteer when I wanted to use them, so from a functional perspective it hasn't been a problem. Maybe if I had FSD I would actually notice issues?

I have experienced some phantom braking on TACC, though only once so far on highways where I actually want to use TACC. (I've done some testing of TACC behavior on winding 2 lane road sections just out of curiosity, which do trigger more phantom braking, but I don't actually care for cruise control on such roads...too many speed changes needed from varying curves and straights.)

I've only ever driven a vision only car but now that radar is dumped, this is where all the development efforts are going. I skimmed a bit of the interview Elon recently did with Lex Friedman and he spoke about getting the cameras to see better in the dark. I suspect this development is parallel or integrated with the FSD work so I continue to be hopeful that we will see improvements.

Hi
I have cleared my camera calibration and have my cameras calibrated, now it's waiting to see if I get the same cameras are blocked messages again.
Any update? I'm trying to research this before having a go at Tesla [I'm in NZ, so will probably get brushed off, I need multiple examples]. I have a Nov21 M3 and this "Multiple cameras blocked or blinded" message is now coming up in night time rural driving, with no blockage/dirt or even condensation issues. It's summer here...

Hi

Any update? I'm trying to research this before having a go at Tesla [I'm in NZ, so will probably get brushed off, I need multiple examples]. I have a Nov21 M3 and this "Multiple cameras blocked or blinded" message is now coming up in night time rural driving, with no blockage/dirt or even condensation issues. It's summer here...
I still have the problem and still can't work out if there is a pattern to it or not.

I picked up my Model3 yesterday and tonight was the first time I had driven in the dark. Constantly got the ‘Muktiple Cameras Blocked or Blinded’ message, so came on here in the hope of advice and a solution. Seems it isn’t clear what causes it and how then to remedy?

I picked up my Model3 yesterday and tonight was the first time I had driven in the dark. Constantly got the ‘Muktiple Cameras Blocked or Blinded’ message, so came on here in the hope of advice and a solution. Seems it isn’t clear what causes it and how then to remedy?
Since a few updates have been done, I haven't seen the issue as much.
Since your car is new, it is possible that your car has not yet caught up.

We drove 450 miles and got the Left Pillar Camera is blocked or blinded during bright morning sunshine.

Heading back during the night and the messages were coming up continuously. Left, right and then multiple cameras. It was very annoying on an 8-hour drive.

Does the Cabin Camera Blocked/Blinded (because of it just being dark, etc) count as a "Forced Autopilot Disengagement" as it pertains to FSD Beta Suspension? If so, it makes me not want to use it much as to not risk the suspension from the Beta program.

I have a MYLR which I picked up last week Wednesday, so had only a week so far and this is the first night trip I have done and I am getting the error quite a lot.

How do you Calibrate the cameras that everyone is talking about ?

I have a MYLR which I picked up last week Wednesday, so had only a week so far and this is the first night trip I have done and I am getting the error quite a lot.

How do you Calibrate the cameras that everyone is talking about ?
Calibrating the cameras doesn’t make a difference. Constant errors and no emergency braking and EAP won’t work. The software is BETA. I.E., Tesla use that to explain why things don’t work.

Where I live we don’t have street lights for many miles/hours of driving. The cameras do not work.

I’ve been back and forth with the service Center. Software updates will not improve the limitations of the cameras at nighttime. It’s no different to using a phone camera at night.

Their most recent response:

Driving at night, bright sunlight, condensation, dirt, rain, ice, bushes tunnels will stop the cameras functioning. Auto wipers rely on the cameras so they don’t function at night time either.

I’ve accepted it as it’s not worth pursuing. If I’d known before buying I wouldn’t have bothered buying EAP. I’m preordering a different make of car that uses LiDAR/radar and rain sensors - it rains for weeks on end where I live and not being able to control the wipers via a stalk is a PIA.