Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Error Messages - Incorrectly Wired Speed Sensor. Should I pay for the repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

May 17, 2023
Utah
I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3, and the basic warranty expired last Decemeber. Recently, I kept getting multiple error messages when I drive over a bump on the road. Lost AP, cruise control, collision detection, regenerative braking, ABS, traction control, stability control.

I had to power off the car and then everything works normal again. I finally took my car to service center, and the tech found that the speed sensors are wired in correctly. They want to charge me about 600 for the repair, but I feel I should not pay for it. The issue is caused by incorrectly wiring, it's not my fault. Any advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517_190432_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_190432_Samsung Notes.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_20230517_190326_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_190326_Tesla.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 86
Wait a minute.....This is a 2018 and you just discovered the speed sensor was wired incorrectly? If it was wired incorrectly it would have been throwing these error messages since new.
The invoice says they were routed incorrectly and vibration caused them to get damaged over time. They were not wired incorrectly, or they would have caused issues from the beginning.

It would be nice if Tesla would replace them for free due to the assembly error, but they are under no obligation to do so once the warranty ended. I would buy the sensors and replace them myself, but I understand not everybody has the capability of doing so.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The invoice says they were routed incorrectly and vibration caused them to get damaged over time. They were not wired incorrectly, or they would have caused issues from the beginning.

It would be nice if Tesla would replace them for free due to the assembly error, but they are under no obligation to do so once the warranty ended. I would buy the sensors and replace them myself, but I understand not everybody has the capability of doing so.
Ahh, I see, I didn't read the invoice. Makes much more sense now.