Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Errors (third time) Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my LR delivered on July 27th after getting delayed numerous times. Even after confirming my delivery date with the service center, they messaged me back canceling the appointment because they wanted to do an additional quality concern inspection. l think that was my clue to cancel my order but they assured me nothing was wrong with the car. After 7 days, my car had multiple errors and after calling the roadside assistance they said it was unsafe to drive the car and had it towed to the service center. It took them 8 days to fix the issues and said it was a faulty wire. After another 7-8 days it happened again and had to tow to the service center again. This time they took nearly 2 weeks to find and fix the problem, and this time they said paint on the wire caused the problem. I spoke with the service manager as I was very concerned about the reliability of this car. I didn't want to spend money on window tints and ceramic coating if the same problem persists. He assured me they had fixed the problem. Now today it's the 3rd time, same errors came again and it was deemed unsafe to drive by roadside assistance. They are towing it back today but I am really frustrated at this point as to what I should do now. I have already done ceramic coating on the car and I don't think they will reimburse me if they buy back the vehicle.

I am really trying to figure out if I should lemon (GA) this car or let them fix it the third time? has anyone had the same issues with their teslas? If so, can someone provide me guidance on how to proceed with the next steps?

Errors:

DI_a246: Automatic Vehicle hold disabled
DI_a223: Traction Control disabled
DI_a222: Stability control disabled
DI_a039: Regenerative braking disabled
TAS2_a313: Adaptive ride control degraded
UI_a020: Steering assist reduced

I wouldn't say that I have the same issue as you, but there is a similarity in the Automatic Vehicle hold disabled message. I took my new Model s LR in for a service appointment on 10/11, because there were some software issues immediately following delivery, such as parking assist sensors damaged or improperly installed, the manuals were blank, etc. After being in the service center for over a week, I was told that the issues were resolved, but a new one had arisen, Automatic Vehicle hold was malfunctioning. The service center basically said that means there is not parking brake for the car. They've had the car for just about two weeks and have told me that it is unsafe to drive, so that they will have to keep it until the issue is resolved. They did say the issue has been replicated by corporate engineering, and they are still working on a fix. I wonder if the issues could be related.

How can Tesla make issues like this right for their customers?

Exact warnings on my car which is out of warranty. No prior warnings or issues before I got all those warnings suddenly. Car had to be towed and sat at service center for 2 weeks. They gave an estimate of $2200 yesterday and today I got a bill of $9k! This is beyond ridiculous. Car was just driving fine and sat at parking over the weekend. I'm going to get rid of the car immediately.

I question the 9K diagnosis. If not mistaken, the front wheel speed sensor is the TPMS. Like a battery on one of the TPMS died. A TPMS is very inexpensive (see amazon) it would need to be the 433 mhz version. Raising a bill from 2200 to 9k without authorization could also be an issue If not the TPMS, looking at the parts catalog the harness and sensor don't look like much in terms of complication and installation. I would want a break down and to escalate the charges to Tesla.

Last edited:
9 hours of labor @$210 / hr. Rear Drive Unit $6k, battery plus few minor items $1k, totaling $9k. I authorized the $2300 yesterday reluctantly and now I got a message that the service is complete and final invoice is $9k. The car was just running fine. No warnings, no issues, no noice, problems, etc. It was at parking over the weekend and when I tried to start, I got all sorts of warnings on the screen. An OTA was installed an hour before that day. I see exact same warnings experienced by several Tesla owners of Model S, X, 3 for the past 4 months. I'm not alone on this one and have so many owners reporting same issues.

2012 Model S P85 with 55k miles. All those warnings suddenly showed up on a weekend when the car was just running fine the previous day and sat at my parking. Had to tow it to service center. Sat there for 2 weeks. Got an estimate for $2300 yesterday which I reluctantly approved. Just now got a message in the app that the service is complete and the final bill is $9k!!!!! They have replaced the large rear drive unit which alone costs $6k. I don't know how I'm going to pay this huge bill and when I do, I'm listing it for sale and going to get rid of it. I have a strong feeling that Tesla is avoiding a recall and is charging customers at their expense of issues which seem to be common for many of us. What am I supposed to?

Wow, rear drive unit is not the sensor. Thats the drive motor. Then drive motors should be

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty
The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance
8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla, which occur under normal use.

I'm refraining from posting further messages here as this is a Model 3 and mine is Model S. I posted a question about CPO warranty for Drive Unit in Model S forum and waiting for responses. As of now, I'm sitting on a $9k invoice and I have sent messages to services team about warranty coverage for drive unit, waiting for their response. Car has 55k miles. CPO 2012 Model S P85, bought in December 2015 with 3500 on odo. 6 years of ownership.

image0 (1).jpg

Tesla's reply to the same error messages
- Regenerative braking disabled
- Steering assist reduced
- Adaptive ride control degraded
- Traction Control disabled
- Stability control disabled

Has been at service center since 11/11. Lets see what the result is on Friday 11/19. I'm not sure what a "harness overlay" is ?

Ive replied to this issue on a few other threads.. The issue happens when you push the brake too soon after opening the door (usually by stepping on the brake as your getting in).. The door activates the screen and the brake turns on the systems.. if this happens together too fast (like when ur getting in).. it causes the system to glitch.. You need to lock the door and let the car sit for about 30 min.. (try and hour if that doesnt work).. the car needs to go into a deep sleep to reset.. hasnt happend to me since ive given the car a sec to load before touching the brake..

Tesla service is installing a new actuator pump in my car to see if that fixes it.. apparently its been updated with a new part number thats supposed to fix this electrical glitch.. tell your service to look into that as the solution. you can still use your car in the meantime and while they order the part. Takes about 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: selfbp
Just now saw this thread, after I posted to a different one. All similar things.... but not all from the same person writing in this thread.

I have a 2020 MSLR. In Sept. of this year, I had taken it to the SC for the car/steering wheel vibrating when accelerating at a fast speed. They replaced the front LH & RH Halfshaft - Front Drive Units (not sure if any of this is related to my info. below, but thought I would share it.
In November I received all of these error messages while driving home in rush hour traffic. The car jolted a few times and then I got all the messages. The car was still driveable, however, it was weird since I had zero resistance when letting off the accelerator. ABS, Automatic Emergency Braking, Stability Control, Traction Control & Adaptive Ride Control - all disabled. Regenerative breaking temporarily reduced (pretty much not happening!), Park Assist, Vehicle hold, Lane Departure Avoidance unavailable. Immediately drove to SC. They made an appt. for me the next day and gave me a loaner. Took the car in at 3:30 pm on 11/18 and received a message at 11:11 pm that same night that it was ready. They replaced the rear RH Wheel speed sensor & verified proper operation. They also did a 4 wheel alignment (saying that this was part of my issue), which I paid for. They performed the alignment and made minor adjustments to the toe & verified proper operation. I also had them look at my steering wheel as it had been making a loud vibration noise when telescoping out. They lubed the steering column gear & verified proper operation. I picked up my car the next day, 11/19 (10 pm), and the minute I put my foot on the break I get the same error message. Message the SC in the app. It's now the weekend. They got back to me and made me an appt. for 11/23. Dropped the car off on 11/23, gave me a loaner. 11/24 they tell me that replaced the rear RH wheel hub due to metallic build-up. Still getting error messages. Found a water leak up front under the right front fender/cowl area and a wiring harness was corroded. Repaired wiring harness and the water leak, dried vehicle. Performed multiple water tests to ensure water is no longer leaking inside. Performed validation test drive & remote diagnostics, fixed. Replaced the steering column, performed validation test drive, and verified proper operation. 11/30/21 picked up the car and all appears fine. The steering wheel is fixed, with no alerts. 12/7 while driving home, alerts all come back. Made an appt. in the app with the next avail. appt on 12/24. 12/8 I drove to the SC to talk to a person. She had helped me before. She got me an appt and gave me a loaner on the spot. Hoping that this time they can fix it.

I know that's a lot, but I feel that it's all related. I'm so bummed out about all of this. I love my Tesla, but this seems to be a lot for such an expensive car.

Multiple alert messages on the screen

I just picked up my car today and tonight I got a random error message of “speed limited to 90mph” and “adaptive ride control disabled”. I got out of the car and started it up again and the messages are gone. The problem list for this car keeps growing.