Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple ev vehicles in a rental property

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,

So I'm moving into at rental home equidistant from 2 superchargers which aren't close to me. I have a model s 85, a model x 75d on order, and a bmw i3.

I will be living in this house for at least two years and have multiple model 3's on order. I would like to be able to charge these vehicles without spending so much on a crazy electrical upgrade as it is a rental.

Can some of you members please direct an electrically challenged individual to a cost-effective solution I can follow for installation etc?

hello all,

So I'm moving into at rental home equidistant from 2 superchargers which aren't close to me. I have a model s 85, a model x 75d on order, and a bmw i3.

I will be living in this house for at least two years and have multiple model 3's on order. I would like to be able to charge these vehicles without spending so much on a crazy electrical upgrade as it is a rental.

Can some of you members please direct an electrically challenged individual to a cost-effective solution I can follow for installation etc?
Hire an electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 "dryer outlet" near where you park the cars. As soon as you say the word "Tesla" your price quote will double. Use your UMC that comes with the car.

will one nema outlet be enough to charge two cars at a time?

Will two nema outlets be OK to charge both vehicles?

I don't have dual charger on the teslas so I'm guessing 40 amps each for x and s so 80 amps total? Sounds like a fire hazard if I end up maximizing the power capacity if wife runs the washer and dryer at the same time as my hvac. Probably a better question for the electrician I guess.

Depending on the age of the home it could be very expensive. How far do you drive thee vehicles every day? Do you need to charge them at the same time? You may be able to stagger the charge times or take turns charging each day. Further, the tiny battery in the i3 could probably charged via 120V outlet. Lastly, you don't have to get a full 50A circuit if your panel won't support it (you do not want to pay for a new panel on a rental). You could have a smaller circuit like a 30A installed and get the correct adapter for your UMC. A 30A circuit will charge a Tesla at 20mi/hr. That's all that we could squeeze into our panel and it's working fine for us.

Find out if your landlord will give you a break on your rent if you upgrade the panel and add a couple 14-50 outlets suitable for EV charging. Or maybe even have a J1772 unit installed that will work with EV's other than just a Tesla.

Sell them on the idea that it will make their rental more desirable for future renters with EV's after you move on.

I would think the 2 Teslas could get by on a single NEMA 14-50 by alternating nights. The i3 could probably get by using a standard 120V 15A or 20A outlet. All of that depends on how many miles you expect to drive each car each day

• Helpful
Reactions: Diavel
Depending on the age of the home it could be very expensive. How far do you drive thee vehicles every day? Do you need to charge them at the same time? You may be able to stagger the charge times or take turns charging each day. Further, the tiny battery in the i3 could probably charged via 120V outlet. Lastly, you don't have to get a full 50A circuit if your panel won't support it (you do not want to pay for a new panel on a rental). You could have a smaller circuit like a 30A installed and get the correct adapter for your UMC. A 30A circuit will charge a Tesla at 20mi/hr. That's all that we could squeeze into our panel and it's working fine for us.

Thank you for the excellent responses from everyone. As far as the 30a charging 30mi/hr, that would then be over 10 hours to charge each of my teslas. Sounds like I will have to do a lot of calculations and small sacrifices.

I am intending on installing a mini split system for cooling in the house. The house is large but built a long time ago 1940's so panel probably needs upgrading. I guess I can take the panel with me when I move?? If done correctly I should still get a permit for all this work yes?

How much does this type of work cost?

I would think the 2 Teslas could get by on a single NEMA 14-50 by alternating nights. The i3 could probably get by using a standard 120V 15A or 20A outlet. All of that depends on how many miles you expect to drive each car each day

I may get away with this. I will go with one nema outlet for now. I have a three yr old and my wife so I don't think we will be using up all that power. We also have two ice vehicles so I will aim for this.

Thank you all for your help. Simple answer for a complex situation.

Thank you for the excellent responses from everyone. As far as the 30a charging 30mi/hr, that would then be over 10 hours to charge each of my teslas. Sounds like I will have to do a lot of calculations and small sacrifices.

I am intending on installing a mini split system for cooling in the house. The house is large but built a long time ago 1940's so panel probably needs upgrading. I guess I can take the panel with me when I move?? If done correctly I should still get a permit for all this work yes?

How much does this type of work cost?
Are you really completely draining your cars every day? My commute is 50 miles round trip and my wife's is 40. We can easily charge every other day and at 20mi/hr easily fill them up during the 8-hour off-peak time of use period. If you're not on a time of use plan then you would have 12+ hours between when you get home from work and leave again the next morning. Just to be clear, a 30A circuit will recharge at 20mi/hr, not 30. A 50A circuit will get you 30mi/hr.

You will not take the panel with you when you go. The bulk of the cost for a new panel is in labor and permits which you would have to pay again to remove it (and you won't be allowed to reinstall the old panel anyway) so you should consider this a sunk cost. You will definitely need a permit. The danger you may run into is that upgrading the service on a house this old can cause a snowballing of other problems being discovered and needing to be fixed. You should definitely work with your landlord to see if they're on board with this and to make it clear what you will pay for and what they will pay for.

Are you really completely draining your cars every day? My commute is 50 miles round trip and my wife's is 40. We can easily charge every other day and at 20mi/hr easily fill them up during the 8-hour off-peak time of use period. If you're not on a time of use plan then you would have 12+ hours between when you get home from work and leave again the next morning. Just to be clear, a 30A circuit will recharge at 20mi/hr, not 30. A 50A circuit will get you 30mi/hr.

You will not take the panel with you when you go. The bulk of the cost for a new panel is in labor and permits which you would have to pay again to remove it (and you won't be allowed to reinstall the old panel anyway) so you should consider this a sunk cost. You will definitely need a permit. The danger you may run into is that upgrading the service on a house this old can cause a snowballing of other problems being discovered and needing to be fixed. You should definitely work with your landlord to see if they're on board with this and to make it clear what you will pay for and what they will pay for.

Thank you for the response. No I don't drain the cars everyday but sometimes I do. About once a week and I will work around it I guess. However the hvac upgrade may require me to do the upgrades anyway. I will talk to landlord and hopefully he is willing to work with me.

Thank you

A solution you should be aware of is the new HPWC which allows multiple HPWCs to share the same circuit. You could put in one 50a (or larger if you can) circuit and the HPWCs coordinate and share the circuit. So you simply plug them all in at night and in the morning they're all done (assuming there are enough amps and hours available to do the job). The beauty of it is whatever size circuit you have will be maximized. You can even have QuickChargePower.com put a J1772 plug on one and the i3 could benefit as well. Not necessarily cheap, but the expensive part (the HPWCs) would go with you when you move.

Last edited:
  • Informative
A solution you should be aware of is the new HPWC which allows multiple HPWCs to share the same circuit. You could put in one 50a (or larger if you can) circuit and the HPWCs coordinate and share the circuit. So you simply plug them all in at night and in the morning they're all done (assuming there are enough amps and hours available to do the job). The beauty of it is whatever size circuit you have will be maximized. You can even have QuickChargePower.com put a J1772 plug on one and the i3 could benefit as well. Not necessarily cheap, but the expensive part (the HPWCs) would go with you when you move.

I will look into that. Thank you for the good suggestion. If I do not opt to do it, I'm sure someone will see that post and benefit.