Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple failed firmware update (PART DEUX)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last fall, I started this thread:

Multiple Failed firmware update

Other similar thread also exist.

It turned out that recent (fall 2017) Model X deliveries had Gen 2 sensors in the FWD and that the software wasn't ready for those and got rejected. My sensors where changed to Gen 1 (like many others) and everything was fine afterward, I received all the subsequent updates successfully. That remained true up until version 2017.50.3 f3425a1 that I received on 2018.01.02 23:53.

All the software updates after this one failed and after a while I called the SC. I got a few vague answers but after today's failed update. Presumably for version 10.4, I called them again and they told me that they ordered some Gen 2 sensors to put back in.

Soooo...my question is... those who where affected by the problem last fall... are you experiencing the same problem as I am? Did it get resolved by putting Gen 2 sensors back in?

Thanks.

JF.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo and BigD0g
Short answer is that I had the EXACT problem you described and picked up my X100D from the SC today in fact. The timing of your post is incredible. Software updates were failing and I was stuck on 2017.50.3. They replaced these sensors. I presume they're the new version. I am now on 2018.10.4 that was released today.

Per my post above, here is the actual parts replaced (they also replaced an ultrasonic sensor in the FWD however that did not fix the issue, so I am not listing it below). Below is what fixed the issue:

Corrections: Cladding - Door - Rear - RH
ASY, RHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1097664-00-B)

Corrections: Cladding - Door - Rear - LH
ASY,LHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1097663-00-B)

I am guessing that the "B" at the end of those part numbers means I now have the second generation parts.

One side benefit of the service call was an update direct to 2018.10.4 8bbdc66 from 2017.50.3 which was only released yesterday! Timing is everything.

My experience with Tesla service thus far has been absolutely excellent. This was my second service visit since I took delivery in November. The first was to replace a Body Control Module and Antenna when the auto-present doors stopped working. Apparently that was a known issue as well. I have scoured the forums for months and from what I can tell my two issues were "known issues". I was lucky enough to get hit with both lol. I hope I am good for a while now. That said, I have never in my life had better service for a vehicle. The service center staff, at least in my experience, has been above and beyond friendly, professional, and quite a pleasure to deal with. This makes all the difference in the world.

Per my post above, here is the actual parts replaced (they also replaced an ultrasonic sensor in the FWD however that did not fix the issue, so I am not listing it below). Below is what fixed the issue:

Corrections: Cladding - Door - Rear - RH
ASY, RHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1097664-00-B)

Corrections: Cladding - Door - Rear - LH
ASY,LHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE
SENSOR (1097663-00-B)

I am guessing that the "B" at the end of those part numbers means I now have the second generation parts.

One side benefit of the service call was an update direct to 2018.10.4 8bbdc66 from 2017.50.3 which was only released yesterday! Timing is everything.

My experience with Tesla service thus far has been absolutely excellent. This was my second service visit since I took delivery in November. The first was to replace a Body Control Module and Antenna when the auto-present doors stopped working. Apparently that was a known issue as well. I have scoured the forums for months and from what I can tell my two issues were "known issues". I was lucky enough to get hit with both lol. I hope I am good for a while now. That said, I have never in my life had better service for a vehicle. The service center staff, at least in my experience, has been above and beyond friendly, professional, and quite a pleasure to deal with. This makes all the difference in the world.

I like what I'm reading...

I'm guessing that the software was properly updated to support the 'B' sensors and that passed 50.3 it didn't expect the 'A' sensors in a vehicle that was born with 'B' sensors. Could be a variation over that theme also.

My service experience has also been good at the Montréal SC. I'm a little worried that some of my problems were settled by luck more than anything and that I would have been screwed if luck didn't intervene. The main one is the fact that I replaced 2 vehicles with my X and it is used as a work truck. It was supposed to come with the tow package but it didn't. The part was back ordered last fall and still is as far as I know. By pure luck, they had ordered a tow package for a client but it turned out that it was already on his vehicle. They installed this unused one on my X. If it wasn't for this one, I could still be stuck without a tow package, unable to accomplish many work related tasks OR with some kind of ICE loaner... That would have been a real bummer.

Cheers!

JF.

Reactions: AdamHLG
I have a November 2017 100D that updated to 2018.2 on 01/26/2018 without issue, but then failed 3 updates after that. On March 12th, my service center replaced the parts AdamHLG listed and updated me to 2018.10. I have not yet been prompted to update to 2018.10.4.

Went to the Montréal SC yesterday. They've put the GEN2 sensors back in and the 10-4 update passed without a itch. We'll see if OTA updates are going to continue smoothly but I have no reason to think otherwise. The only so-so part was that they were out of Tesla loaners and I ended up with a rental Dodge Caravan ! I really appreciated my X after a day in that...

Reactions: AdamHLG