Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my Model 3 in June 2018, as one of the early deliveries in Canada. The car has been bullet proof, only issues I had back with those early cars was a noisy brake clip and axle nut that needed lube.

I had to leave my car parked for a prolonged time (~ 4 months but it was moved to be charged periodically). The day I got back (Jan 22') and woke the car up, TeslaFi began showing a cycle of the waking and sleeping. The car would stay awake for a few mins, then repeat a 30min pattern of staying online. Since then the car uses up battery like Sentry mode is on and will never deep sleep. I removed the car from any 3rd party apps, reset password to refresh API tokens, did multiple resets, turned off all the usual suspects (summon standby, cabin overheat, sentry mode, scheduled charging and preconditioning). I took it into service and they initially mentioned replacing the occupant sensor but it was veto'd by the supervisor there and they wanted to monitor the issue further.

They re-booked me and during this time, I had another issue pop up. My screen had what appeared like moisture ingress. This later turned out to be the display de-laminating itself (I've used cabin over-heat since having the car so this is interesting). This is when I also learned that having a screen protector on your display voids the warranty, luckily, I was covered.
During the 2nd visit, they pulled my cabin air freshner out of the 12V plug and claimed it to be the culprit. Didn't solve the issue.

As of the last few days, the car has now started going into a partial factory reset loop whenever it goes to sleep. I was happy at first because the car was sleeping, only to realize mobile access had been disabled, my driver profiles cleared, all my settings reset, and my home/work addresses erased. Funny enough, the car still magically routed to my work address during my morning commute and my previous entries are still there, so there's some breadcrumbs. Trips don't register either. Odometer works though lol.

I need a Sherlock to crack this case. In all seriousness I have an appt this Friday, hoping 3rd time's the charm as the factory warranty runs out on the 5th of June.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 10.11.31 PM.png

TeslaFi showing 70+ sleeps in a day

IMG_2170.jpeg
IMG_2106.jpeg

The reset issue (left), main display de-lamination (right)

IMG_2161.PNG

Losing mobile access after every sleep

I've used cabin over-heat since having the car so this is interesting
Cabin over heat protection only works for 12? hours after the car was last driven or accessed by the app.
Imagine my surprise when I got back from a weekend trip to find my Tesla parked at the airport with an exploded Diet Coke can from the heat.....

I bet your 12V battery is having problems..... With a 2018 it's not a bad idea to go ahead and proactively replace it for $85.

Screen protector on display will void warranty? Could you share more details? Thanks
Yeah. Putting a screen protector on your main display voids the warranty. It's beyond me to think people wouldn't want to protect the most expensive piece of glass in the car.

They didn't give reasons other than it's in the policy and the fine print, but I can theoretically think of a few which most smartphone displays don't face:

The cabin gets very hot and very cold, screen protectors, especially glass ones, could interfere with thermal expansion which may be built into the displays design. It can also act as an insulator when the display is passively cooling itself. But all of this aside, the tech was surprised I had an issue like this. He said you haven't done anything wrong. You had 1 screen protector on there, and the display is in flawless condition, thus, they honoured it under goodwill.

Cabin over heat protection only works for 12? hours after the car was last driven or accessed by the app.
Imagine my surprise when I got back from a weekend trip to find my Tesla parked at the airport with an exploded Diet Coke can from the heat.....

I bet your 12V battery is having problems..... With a 2018 it's not a bad idea to go ahead and proactively replace it for $85.
It's possible, but I would think the techs would've verified that. The car does throw a fault as well. I am of the suspicion its a HW failure or system file related corruption thats causing the car to do funky things. But for now, I'll wait til Friday and see what the real experts say :)

So the techs still haven't cracked this case... I decided to follow your advice and bought a socket wrench and a load tester. After doing the test as prescribed while the HV system was disconnected (pulled plug under rear seats), this is what I'm reading. It's the original battery, delivery was June 5 2018.

Appears low to me, but this is at the end of the 10 sec load test.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 11.04.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 11.04.08 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2416.jpeg
    IMG_2416.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2414.jpeg
    IMG_2414.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 138
I went ahead an installed a battery monitor on my 12V to see the current. Either there's some crazy parasitic drain (unlikely) or we have a 4 year old 12V showing it's age (likely).

If someone can comment, from my point of view, it looks like the battery is drastically dropping voltage and causing the HV system to come online every few minutes to keep it topped up.

Like I stated before, none of the big standby features are enabled (summon standby, sentry, and cabin overheat). No 3rd party apps either. Can anyone else confirm that this behaviour is not normal?

battmon12v.png

I went ahead an installed a battery monitor on my 12V to see the current. Either there's some crazy parasitic drain (unlikely) or we have a 4 year old 12V showing it's age (likely).

If someone can comment, from my point of view, it looks like the battery is drastically dropping voltage and causing the HV system to come online every few minutes to keep it topped up.

Like I stated before, none of the big standby features are enabled (summon standby, sentry, and cabin overheat). No 3rd party apps either. Can anyone else confirm that this behaviour is not normal?

View attachment 813691
I’m more interested what did you install to monitor the 12v battery 😅

12.38V is still about 70% SoC for a 12V lead acid, but only with no load. It's not rapidly dropping voltage. It just looks like a battery with a small load on it.

Look at your time around 8am that goes for 90 minutes per your other post. That's at about 13.6V, which a 12V battery can't hold by itself, but at the same time, the Tesla isn't trying to charge it. It's holding it at 0A on a battery that is basically fully charged. Look at almost all the "flats" between the peak charges. All about 13.6V. That's healthy. You're being thrown off by all the voltages above ~13V, which are all by definition charging, and not representative of the battery health at all.

What is weird is your car keeps trying to go to 14.8V, which it shouldn't normally do, and it generally only does now and then to test a battery. But it might just be running a test.

All that said, swapping the battery is easy, and probably a cheap way to start diagnosing. A bit quicker and cheaper would be to fully reboot the car. Try changing your wheel configuration to something else, which restarts all the modules in the car. Even more for sure would be pulling the 12V power and the HV power (which is super easy) to do a full reboot of the car and charger for sure.

I haven't been able to let the 12V sit completely unplugged from the car as I live in an apartment. I can't really leave windows down etc. The 12.38V wasn't really to indicate the battery health. That's the threshold where the HV contacter switches and begins charging up the battery. It could be a sign of a load but they checked the car out for rodent damage and did look for drains but nothing came up. I suspect the battery due to that.

However, I was able to catch the car while it was asleep during one of these cycles and pull a screen recording. You can see the battery quickly discharging and car comes back up and begins charging it.

Update. I had the 12V battery replaced. Tesla also replaced my relative temperature and humidity sensor. They said they were seeing a bunch of alerts from the sensor which was waking up the car. Replacing it didn't change my issue and I received a "climate keeper unavailable" fault upon replacement. The tech. inspected my wiring harness and said there could be something wrong with it. I don't know how because I've never had any work done on the car around there.

For now, resetting the car by unplugging 12V & harness at the penthouse has cleared the fault and HVAC works fine. It will probably come back at some point though. I am actually moving across the country shortly so I'll have to wait until end of June in Toronto.

This could just be a FW bug in the HV system. I've seen some people have this issue only to have it gone in 4-9 months after a few updates. Pretty stumped on this one.

To recap where I stand:

Car doesn't sleep. The crazy restarts stopped after a week of them occurring. It goes to sleep for a few mins, then wakes up. Repeats the cycle at least 50+ times a day. Vehicle will always be online and awake. Standby loss is around 5-7% daily.

Attachments

• climate_keeper_unavail.jpeg
    climate_keeper_unavail.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Update on the issue, it still persists. I moved from Victoria to Mississauga and the service centre here said they saw an issue with the coaxial cable running from the MCU to my car display. It was replaced and I was very hopeful. Alas no change. I have another appointment scheduled. Let's see what they say...

From reading issues that others had with this sort of sleep/wake loop issue, some mentioned it was a HV firmware bug and was only resolved by an update down the road (up to ~6months later for some). It's a bit frustrating as the techs don't see "anything wrong" on their end. But just running some code and diagnostics that come out as "OK" in my opinion is a bit of a let down. Especially when they can see so many sleep/wake's being triggered. This pattern has persisted even with Mobile Access completely disabled so to blame any external pinging of the car seems a bit lazy.

Sigh... the headache continues. I will say though that I still love the car, it gives me 120-145Wh/km on my commutes with 19inch wheels so I couldn't be happier with how the car has aged. Just wish I wasn't losing a bunch of energy to this silly issue and having my HV contactors engage/disengage 50+ times a day for the last 5 months.

Attached is a reading of the 12V, same pattern (it's a brand new 12V)...

Attachments

• IMG_3161.PNG
    IMG_3161.PNG
    219.7 KB · Views: 71

Remove cover, chk voltage, anything below 12.5V will need replacement.

Remove cover, chk voltage, anything below 12.5V will need replacement.
Like I already said, I had my 12V replaced just over a month ago. I had to pay out of pocket for it because Tesla insisted there was nothing wrong with my 4 year old 12V. It made no difference much like they suspected. I also have a battery monitor taking readouts and I’ve attached the screenshot from which you can see the voltage read outs. It’s not the 12V.

From reading issues that others had with this sort of sleep/wake loop issue, some mentioned it was a HV firmware bug and was only resolved by an update down the road (up to ~6months later for some). It's a bit frustrating as the techs don't see "anything wrong" on their end. But just running some code and diagnostics that come out as "OK" in my opinion is a bit of a let down. Especially when they can see so many sleep/wake's being triggered. This pattern has persisted even with Mobile Access completely disabled so to blame any external pinging of the car seems a bit lazy.

I had a similar situation around March-May time frame.
Likely introduced by one of the OTA software updates (there is a definite downside to the needlessly frequent and poorly tested updates).
Likely remedied by one of the May/June updates.

I am not certain if Canadian market gets updates on the same timeframe as the US.

Sigh... the headache continues. I will say though that I still love the car, it gives me 120-145Wh/km on my commutes with 19inch wheels so I couldn't be happier with how the car has aged. Just wish I wasn't losing a bunch of energy to this silly issue and having my HV contactors engage/disengage 50+ times a day for the last 5 months.

Time to look into the "lemon law" provisions in BC?
I think you've given Tesla SC enough tries to resolve the issue...

a