Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple "keys"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone can speculate on how multiple keys would work. Like for my wife and I, would I be able to give her access to my car via the Tesla app (but without her having to sign into my account)? Also, would we get multiple valet keys so she could keep one?

I know it may be a bit early to know, but was wondering if the model S/X worked in a similar way for the app.

I know it may be a bit early to know, but was wondering if the model S/X worked in a similar way for the app

She would have to sign into the app with your credentials. At least that is how the app works now. However, since the 3 will be using BT, its possible the phone will only have to be authenticated to the car once, who knows.

She would have to sign into the app with your credentials. At least that is how the app works now. However, since the 3 will be using BT, its possible the phone will only have to be authenticated to the car once, who knows.
I believe multiple phones can be paired with the car to act as keys. There was pdf floating around somewhere that explained the process and recall that was mentioned.

Just curious if anyone can speculate on how multiple keys would work. Like for my wife and I, would I be able to give her access to my car via the Tesla app (but without her having to sign into my account)? Also, would we get multiple valet keys so she could keep one?

I know it may be a bit early to know, but was wondering if the model S/X worked in a similar way for the app.
Also I think I've heard you would get two valet/physical keys.

Also, I bet it wouldn't be hard for Tesla to give you some extra ones anyway.

I would expect Tesla to allow you to give another Tesla account access to your Model 3. If I can create a separate Nest account for my wife so she can control the thermostat in the house then I don’t see why Tesla can’t do something similar for a car. It would be very convenient if another family member or a friend needed to use my car temporarily; I’d simply enter in their email address registered with their Tesla account and grant them either permanent or temporary access to the Model 3.

I believe multiple phones can be paired with the car to act as keys. There was pdf floating around somewhere that explained the process and recall that was mentioned.
Here's the article with the user manual at the bottom. It looks like, in order to authenticate a phone, you need to have the app installed and sign in to it. So, unless Tesla allows multiple people to have their own logins to the account, we'll need to share the login information with whoever is going to authenticate their key.

Tesla Model 3: how the keyless and phone entry works and user manual

Here's the article with the user manual at the bottom. It looks like, in order to authenticate a phone, you need to have the app installed and sign in to it. So, unless Tesla allows multiple people to have their own logins to the account, we'll need to share the login information with whoever is going to authenticate their key.

Tesla Model 3: how the keyless and phone entry works and user manual

So it looks Like up to 3 smartphones can be authenticated. Rather than having to actually share your login I suppose you could login yourself on whoever’s phone and authenticate it. They wouldn’t need your login details once done.

Good point. What if you're on a trip and your phone dies while you're driving? You pull in to a gas station (because you have to pee, of course) and when you come back... :p

This is one reason I'll be using the card instead of a phone. The other reason is I don't have a phone.
What if you’re on a trip and your key fob dies? At least phones can easily be charged. Although not having a phone does put a kink in things :D

I picked up car today. It's going to be my business partner's car. I downloaded app on his phone and logged him into my account. Multiple users can use the app if logged into account. Car came with 2 card keys.

Apparently, I can have him get his own Tesla account and just transfer the Model3 to his account. Then we won't be able to access each others cars. I joked that for now I can honk his horn and pop his trunk in the middle of the night. He quickly reminded me that he has access to my X now too.:eek: