Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a Model S and what to installed a NEMA 14-50. But for convenience was thinking of having 2 installed. I have a 3 car garage. I need at least 1 put in the center of the garage next to where I will park my car. But I might move it or I might get a second TESLA some day. The circurt breaker is on the same wall as the first NEMA 14-50 location which would not be used at first. Then from there need to run a wire to the middle of the garage for main location. I am just thinking the cost would not be much more to have two locations. Would this be a problem? Also, if in the future I get 2 TESLA's can I use both to charge both cars? I assume it would charge slower in that case. I understand that 2 Wall Chargers could talk to each other as an option. If that is required in the future could I easily convert the NEMA 14-50's to a Wall Charger(s) at that time? Or, should I put a junction box just instead the garage for the future and then run to the middle of the garage for now.

Not sure if you've considered this, but wouldn't it make more sense, until you get another Tesla, to just use a 14-50 extension cord such as this one?

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R RV/Tesla extension cord, 50 ft.

The extension cord might come in handy in the future if you're ever charging at camp sites.

It might be cheaper to add a second outlet at the same time rather than two separate projects.

D21mike - my best advice is to find a Tesla-experienced electrician in your area and talk to him about the options. The one I used was able to recommend an option I had discounted but turned out to be perfect for my situation and also saved hundreds of dollars.

I would prefer to not use an extension code. I did contact 2 Tesla-experienced electricians via email with pictures and only one replied. Said too busy to come out but talked on phone and email but when ready to quote only quoted for the one next to the circuit breaker inside the garage with no recommendations on the multiple setup. And the quote of about $850 seemed high for just the one and especially since I would not be using that location at first. So not impressed with his input. I know another electrician that I used before and maybe not hard to just added two NEMA 14-50 outlets. Just wanted to reach out here for others who maybe needed two NEMA 14-50's.

• Funny
Reactions: JHawk
I have two NEMA 14-50s in my garage because I didn't know which way I'd end up parking my S. The additional cost for the second outlet was minimal. I'm about to convert them to Wall Connectors in anticipation of our 3 because the Connectors talk to each other and my breaker couldn't handle both charging at the same time at 40 amps.

Not sure I'm much help, but we installed 2 NEMA 14-50's at our previous house, and three at our current. Both garages required a sub-panel be put in, which is not an issue you have.

In our current 3-bay (2 door) garage, we have a NEMA 14-50 on each side wall of the garage, and a second on a small sub-wall (where the door to enter and exit the garage is located). The location on the sub-wall is where we plug in the Model X, as it's situated right next to the charge port when parking the Model X in the left side of the main garage door. Hopefully that made some sense.

Anyway, we got several quotes, none from Tesla certified electricians and it was $4-$5k for our project...which was more involved than yours.

Note that you can't put both on the same circuit, so you need room in the panel for two breakers and capacity for both circuits. They also won't load balance. If you want that you will need two Wall Connectors or two J1772 chargers with that feature.

Thanks for the comments. So looks like maybe best to just install 2 NEMA 14-50's for convenience. And if/when I get a second Tesla then convert to Wall Chargers since I would not be able to use both at the same time? Or maybe just install 1 NEMA 14-50 now along with 1 Wall Charger? The cost of the Wall Charger is about $500. I did watch a video of how to install a Wall Charger. Seemed more complicated to me but would it be that complicated for most Electricians. It seems the NEMA 14-50 is pretty simple.

Thanks for the comments. So looks like maybe best to just install 2 NEMA 14-50's for convenience. And if/when I get a second Tesla then convert to Wall Chargers since I would not be able to use both at the same time? Or maybe just install 1 NEMA 14-50 now along with 1 Wall Charger? The cost of the Wall Charger is about $500. I did watch a video of how to install a Wall Charger. Seemed more complicated to me but would it be that complicated for most Electricians. It seems the NEMA 14-50 is pretty simple.

You can purchase EVSEs that plug into NEMA 14-50's.

If you have 2 NEMA 14-50's, I would assume you're installing two 50A circuits into your panel. Which you should be able to use at the same time. You can always dial down the charging if you're getting close to maxing out the load with other appliances in your home.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I understand my options now. I will review them with an Electrician. Maybe just use a junction box at the first location and put in 1 NEMA 14-50 where I need it now. Then if I require two later just install 2 WC's then. Will see. But I feel I know my options with all the very quick responses.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I understand my options now. I will review them with an Electrician. Maybe just use a junction box at the first location and put in 1 NEMA 14-50 where I need it now. Then if I require two later just install 2 WC's then. Will see. But I feel I know my options with all the very quick responses.

I have 2 NEMA 14-50's in my garage connected to one 50A breaker. If I ever charge more than one Tesla at a time, I don't see why I can't set each car to charge at 20 amps and this would not overload the circuit. I am not an electrician, but no different (IMO) than a room with multiple outlets. You can only plug in so many loads before you exceed the rating (15/20 amps). My Tesla certified installer did not think I needed a switch or another breaker.

I have 2 NEMA 14-50's in my garage connected to one 50A breaker. If I ever charge more than one Tesla at a time, I don't see why I can't set each car to charge at 20 amps and this would not overload the circuit. I am not an electrician, but no different (IMO) than a room with multiple outlets. You can only plug in so many loads before you exceed the rating (15/20 amps). My Tesla certified installer did not think I needed a switch or another breaker.
The NEC has a bunch of exemptions/special cases for 120V, 15/20A branch outlets, so you can't really use that as an example. Generally 240V outlets are wired 1 outlet/1 breaker. I've never seen anything in the code that would disallow 2 14-50's on one breaker, but - IMHO - it's the sign of a homeowner hack job. Most pros would install two circuits, unless there was a compelling reason not to (full panel, etc).

You could manually dial back the charge rates on two cars and charge both at 20A as described, but it's not really a good idea. A software update could lose your local charging setting, causing both to come in at 40A. Add in a bad or worn breaker that doesn't trip (both have happened), and your house burns down.

The NEC has a bunch of exemptions/special cases for 120V, 15/20A branch outlets, so you can't really use that as an example. Generally 240V outlets are wired 1 outlet/1 breaker. I've never seen anything in the code that would disallow 2 14-50's on one breaker, but - IMHO - it's the sign of a homeowner hack job. Most pros would install two circuits, unless there was a compelling reason not to (full panel, etc).

You could manually dial back the charge rates on two cars and charge both at 20A as described, but it's not really a good idea. A software update could lose your local charging setting, causing both to come in at 40A. Add in a bad or worn breaker that doesn't trip (both have happened), and your house burns down.

You may be correct, I am not an electrician.

I did hire a Tesla approved company to do the work and that is how they did it.
Maybe these companies are not as good as Tesla thinks they are.

It might be cheaper to add a second outlet at the same time rather than two separate projects.

D21mike - my best advice is to find a Tesla-experienced electrician in your area and talk to him about the options. The one I used was able to recommend an option I had discounted but turned out to be perfect for my situation and also saved hundreds of dollars.

I agree. When we added our, I did a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 at the same time. Each on their own dedicated 50A breaker switch. This way, if I decide to go with two NEMA 14-50, I can easily swap that myself by buying another outlet at Home Depot.

But the cost of doing two at the same time, you save on building permit cost and electrician cost since they are there already. They added me a second one at 1/2 price since they were already out here.

The reason for the NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 is I can use the Tesla UMC on the NEMA 14-50 and leaving the NEMA 6-50 for a different type of wall charger like Chargepoint or ClipperCreek or another brand that might or might not have 14-50 and only have a 6-50.

I agree. When we added our, I did a NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 at the same time. Each on their own dedicated 50A breaker switch. This way, if I decide to go with two NEMA 14-50, I can easily swap that myself by buying another outlet at Home Depot.

But the cost of doing two at the same time, you save on building permit cost and electrician cost since they are there already. They added me a second one at 1/2 price since they were already out here.

The reason for the NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 is I can use the Tesla UMC on the NEMA 14-50 and leaving the NEMA 6-50 for a different type of wall charger like Chargepoint or ClipperCreek or another brand that might or might not have 14-50 and only have a 6-50.
Did you pull a neutral wire for the 6-50 outlet? You'll need it if you swap the 6-50 to a 14-50.

You may be correct, I am not an electrician.

I did hire a Tesla approved company to do the work and that is how they did it.
Maybe these companies are not as good as Tesla thinks they are.
That's unfortunate the Tesla approved company installed it IMO. I installed two 14-50 outlets in my garage myself and used two separate 50A breakers w/6AWG wire and appropriate conduit. I'm not a certified electrician so it's technically an illegal install as well I guess.