Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple phone keys: is there an issue in switching between active ones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day my wife and I went shopping with our brand new Model 3. We both have phone keys. She opened and drove the car using hers and I joined in the passenger seat. At the mall parking lot, she left with her phone, driver's door open, leaving the car to me and my phone to park. As I sat on the driver seat trying to shift to Drive, it wouldn't let me: it requested, graphically, to authenticate with a key card on the internal card reader. I complied, but got no response at all from the car. I ended up having to exit the car, shut the door, lock with the card from the outside and then unlock with the same card. Only then could I complete the parking. All this to the dismay of fellow drivers having to wait me out.

Is this an issue with Model 3 locking and safety logic? Do I miss something? How can such a situation be avoided?

Thank you.

My wife and I have separate phones, both set up as phone keys for our four month old Tesla Y. We did go through the procedure of registering each as a phone key card and of associating each with a specific driver profile (we have separate ones).

Usually the car not only lets us in, but sets the active driver profile to the "correct" one. As our phones are often both in range, I'm surprised it gets the profile choice right as often as it does, but sometimes the wrong profile comes up, so a couple of finger taps on the screen fix that.

I don't recognize the problem you had, which sounds very annoying. I speculate that your phone was not in successful Bluetooth communication with the car at the moment you were having trouble. People say the Bluetooth receiver is in the right mirror mount. Bluetooth is very low power, so just a little blockage or interference might cause trouble. If your phone is in your clothing or a case, you might need sometimes to take it out. Possibly bringing the phone near the right mirror mount might help.

Upvote 0
The other day my wife and I went shopping with our brand new Model 3. We both have phone keys. She opened and drove the car using hers and I joined in the passenger seat. At the mall parking lot, she left with her phone, driver's door open, leaving the car to me and my phone to park. As I sat on the driver seat trying to shift to Drive, it wouldn't let me: it requested, graphically, to authenticate with a key card on the internal card reader. I complied, but got no response at all from the car. I ended up having to exit the car, shut the door, lock with the card from the outside and then unlock with the same card. Only then could I complete the parking. All this to the dismay of fellow drivers having to wait me out.

Is this an issue with Model 3 locking and safety logic? Do I miss something? How can such a situation be avoided?

Thank you.
Hi, my wife and I had the exact same issue last night, incredibly frustrating. We were in a friends driveway and she never even got in the car, but the car connected to her phone as the primary driver. I was in the driver's seat with my phone/key in the charger. I could not drive the car. I had her shut off her bluetooth. No luck. I connected my bluetooth, no luck (I know, the bluetooth does not necessarily control driver, but I was embarrassed and scrambling). She drove away with a friend. No difference. I had to get out of the car, when it immediately self locked. Then I unlocked with my app and away I went. What should I have done differently pleas? I have to think there is some button I should have pressed to switch driver and deactivate her. Thanks!

Upvote 0