Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple phone keys on multiple cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I currently own a Model 3 and my girl friend just purchased a new model Y. Is it possible for us to both have phone keys on each cars? Thanks

Great and and thanks for the response but when trying to set my phone up the car askes that I open app and select vehicle to pair. There is no option other than my model 3 on my app. Where do I go from there? Thanks for any suggestions

Upvote 0
1. Navigate to tesla.com website. Click TESLA ACCOUNT in upper right hand corner. Sign in to your Tesla account
2.Click the MANAGE button under the picture of your car
3. Next to the words CAR ACCESS click the little arrow that signifies there is a drop down menu
4. Click the small link that says ADD DRIVER (its in a somewhat small font)
5. Enter first name, last name and email address of the person you want to grant access to. NOTE: This should match the information used by the person previously to create their tesla account above, in PRE - REQUISITES.
6. Click SAVE
7. Now, have person you just added on the website log out of the tesla app on their phone, wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute, then log back in

Note - they will have limited access to your car under the tesla app (i.e. no purchase upgrades or schedule service), but will have most of the other app features - including ability to view cars location in real-time.

Upvote 0
1. Navigate to tesla.com website. Click TESLA ACCOUNT in upper right hand corner. Sign in to your Tesla account
2.Click the MANAGE button under the picture of your car
3. Next to the words CAR ACCESS click the little arrow that signifies there is a drop down menu
4. Click the small link that says ADD DRIVER (its in a somewhat small font)
5. Enter first name, last name and email address of the person you want to grant access to. NOTE: This should match the information used by the person previously to create their tesla account above, in PRE - REQUISITES.
6. Click SAVE
7. Now, have person you just added on the website log out of the tesla app on their phone, wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute, then log back in

Note - they will have limited access to your car under the tesla app (i.e. no purchase upgrades or schedule service), but will have most of the other app features - including ability to view cars location in real-time.
This is great!! Thank you so much! We're both so excited to be able to own these amazing pieces of the future!!

Upvote 0
I have a similar question, but it's easier. Just picked up my tesla, have my phone set up as a key, and now I want to set my wife up. I've downloaded the app on her phone, but I'm not sure how to log into it. Do I use my email and password on her phone, or do I use something different for her and then it links to my car independently once logged in?

Upvote 0
I have a similar question, but it's easier. Just picked up my tesla, have my phone set up as a key, and now I want to set my wife up. I've downloaded the app on her phone, but I'm not sure how to log into it. Do I use my email and password on her phone, or do I use something different for her and then it links to my car independently once logged in?
You have to add additional driver from your account. You can do it from the app now under Security>Manage Drivers. It'll generate a link for you to share with whoever. That person then has to create a Tesla account with that invite.

Upvote 0

This depends on what you want (how you want her to access it).

The post in this thread from @EVFamilyGrins is copied directly from a post I made on this site previously (would have been nice for that to be acknowledged as copied information).

The workflow it details is depreciated, with the changes to the tesla app and tesla website, but the information on choices is not.

To summarize, you can simply log into the tesla account on her phone with your account, and that is the "easiest" thing to do. It is sharing a tesla account, however, which is fine if you want to do that but sharing accounts in general is not a "best practice" thing to get in the habit of doing.

If you want her to have her own tesla separate tesla account, have her create an account on the tesla website FIRST, then, go to your phone, open the tesla account on your phone, and add an "additional driver" there. Use the same email address for her there as she used to setup her own separate tesla account.

After that, have her log into her tesla account on her phone, and the car should appear as she was authorized as an additional driver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have to add additional driver from your account. You can do it from the app now under Security>Manage Drivers. It'll generate a link for you to share with whoever. That person then has to create a Tesla account with that invite.
I got that far and then I didn't know what to do--have her log in using my name and PW, or create or own? I finally just took her phone to the car and did it that way, but she comes up as me. The difference between a key and an account and a driver and a profile is fuzzy to me.

Upvote 0