Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple rear-facing car seats in back of Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Model S (not new gen seats), and three kids: a 5 year old, and 8 month old twins, that are outgrowing their infant car seats. I'm thinking of getting two of the Clek Fflo seats (seems more compact than the Foonf) but I haven't seen anyone install two both rear-facing (and I haven't found any locally I could try out). Can anyone confirm it would work (in middle and outboard positions)? Or other rear facing seats you'd recommend that could fit in these positions?

Also, in the third seat (outboard), I'd like to put a booster (preferably with back). His booster from other car (Recaro Performance Sport) was way too wide, seems you need a pretty narrow seat if occupying all three seats in the back row. Any recommendations? Bonus points if it's easy to pop in and out, for when an adult wants to use that seat.

Thanks!
Jason

I have a 2014 Model S (not new gen seats), and three kids: a 5 year old, and 8 month old twins, that are outgrowing their infant car seats. I'm thinking of getting two of the Clek Fflo seats (seems more compact than the Foonf) but I haven't seen anyone install two both rear-facing (and I haven't found any locally I could try out). Can anyone confirm it would work (in middle and outboard positions)? Or other rear facing seats you'd recommend that could fit in these positions?

Also, in the third seat (outboard), I'd like to put a booster (preferably with back). His booster from other car (Recaro Performance Sport) was way too wide, seems you need a pretty narrow seat if occupying all three seats in the back row. Any recommendations? Bonus points if it's easy to pop in and out, for when an adult wants to use that seat.

Thanks!
Jason

I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you I recently moved from a single infant seat behind the passenger to a convertible car seat (Maxi Cosi Pria 85) and it's a tight fit to get my daughter in below the roof line and the c pillar. She is 13 months, and I can only imagine this will get more difficult as she grows. Infant seat was far easier. With regard to passenger leg room, my wife has no issues with it behind her, but those over 6ft might.

With regard to multiple seats, I don't think you could use the middle position with multiple seats and utilize the latch system. I believe only the side seats have latch connectors, though you could put a single seat in the center, utilizing the inside latch points of the two latch sets. You could always use a seat belt, but there's a trade-off in safety.

Removal of any latch seat should be fairly easy, but getting it back in and cinched down tightly is another matter entirely. I've heard of ratcheting systems made for tightening the nylon straps, and that would likely make installation in the event of removal much easier, but I have not tried this myself.

Here’s my setup with 3 diono radian rxt 2 rear and one forward in a 2013 Model S.

Easy to pop out/back is a relative thing - I didn’t find it difficult but others may disagree.

5311C4A7-8B4B-44D7-86C8-E5393A452EB3.jpeg

Reactions: d-bone
Here’s my setup with 3 diono radian rxt 2 rear and one forward in a 2013 Model S.

Easy to pop out/back is a relative thing - I didn’t find it difficult but others may disagree.

View attachment 286997

Thanks JPUConn, yes, that's the basic setup I'm thinking. Are you using latch for the outboard seats, or seatbelts for all three? Curious, when you got the Radian RXT did you also look at the Clek? They seem very similar, about the same price, both have very positive reviews.

Removal of any latch seat should be fairly easy, but getting it back in and cinched down tightly is another matter entirely. I've heard of ratcheting systems made for tightening the nylon straps, and that would likely make installation in the event of removal much easier, but I have not tried this myself.

Yeah, probably the biggest problem I've had putting a car seat in and out is the sheer weight of the thing, and the top tether anchor. I'm thinking a lightweight booster with a back, using car's seat belt instead of harness, may be the best choice for him, just have to find one narrow enough.

Thanks JPUConn, yes, that's the basic setup I'm thinking. Are you using latch for the outboard seats, or seatbelts for all three? Curious, when you got the Radian RXT did you also look at the Clek? They seem very similar, about the same price, both have very positive reviews.

Latch on outboard and seatbelt in center. We used an angle adjuster while rear facing to allow for the front passenger some more room.

The one time tricky part was running the loop under the passenger floor seat rail for the rear of the car seat to anchor into.

I had britax before the twins and progressed from Chico keyfit 30 to buying 6 diono radians for our then Subaru Legacy and Jeep Grand Cherokee which were slightly narrower than the Tesla. Twins are 3 now and forward facing (much easier to load/unload).

Clek didn’t come up in our search when we bought these ~2 yrs ago. The Clek Fllo looks really nice - I’d consider buying that if I were in the market again.

Clek

My center car seat is rock solid using the firm knee into the car seat and pull like heck on the seat belt by the buckle. Let us know how this product works.

Just got the tightener this week works great, car seat is much tighter than what I could do manually. Also, now that the car seat is latched tighter to the Model S seat, I saved another couple inches between the back of the passenger seat and the back of the rear facing car seat. I can now sit in the passenger seat myself fairly comfortably, I am 6'3".

To install, I released the belt tension entirely, to allow the tightener to pull in all the slack. It pulls from both sides of the belt, so when you put it on, place it in the center of the belt. Easy to ratchet down, and easy to release. Should make taking these seats in and out much easier. Already bought a second one, and I don't even have a second kid yet.

... I recently moved from a single infant seat behind the passenger to a convertible car seat (Maxi Cosi Pria 85)...

I have a 2018 Model S 100D with Premium seats, and my Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Convertible Car Seat, which used to fit properly in my 2015 Model S 85D, is very wobbly. We are using it forward-facing for a 45 lb child, using vehicle seat belts instead of the latch as required by the manufacturer for children over 40 lbs. The harness is properly attached and tightened, the child seat is in angle position 1, and I installed it the same way I did many times in my older Model S. I can't figure out why it's so wobbly (and therefore unsafe). Has anyone had a similar problem? We can also move to a booster at this point, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I’m a foster dad and occasionally have twin 4 month olds on the weekends in addition to my three kids (4, 6, and 7). I can easily fit a convertible front facing booster in the middle seat and two rear facing car seats on the outboard seats. The booster for the 4 year old uses a regular seat belt while the other two car seats are latch systems. I do use seat belt extenders to make it easier. The 6 and 7 year olds ride in the rear facing seats in the trunk.

Attachments

• 45247719-2ABE-4212-97DE-913873B1EBC6.jpeg
    45247719-2ABE-4212-97DE-913873B1EBC6.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 414
  • B0EC3358-81F5-42A4-B658-CE0C58F7B86B.jpeg
    B0EC3358-81F5-42A4-B658-CE0C58F7B86B.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Informative
Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
I’m a foster dad and occasionally have twin 4 month olds on the weekends in addition to my three kids (4, 6, and 7). I can easily fit a convertible front facing booster in the middle seat and two rear facing car seats on the outboard seats. The booster for the 4 year old uses a regular seat belt while the other two car seats are latch systems. I do use seat belt extenders to make it easier. The 6 and 7 year olds ride in the rear facing seats in the trunk.

Attachments

• 7E4C9348-D459-4A52-92BE-75B069CC52E1.gif
    7E4C9348-D459-4A52-92BE-75B069CC52E1.gif
    7 MB · Views: 258
  • D2395EFC-52AA-4408-84D6-2071576CEDFB.gif
    D2395EFC-52AA-4408-84D6-2071576CEDFB.gif
    7 MB · Views: 217
Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
I have a 2018 Model S 100D with Premium seats, and my Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Convertible Car Seat, which used to fit properly in my 2015 Model S 85D, is very wobbly. We are using it forward-facing for a 45 lb child, using vehicle seat belts instead of the latch as required by the manufacturer for children over 40 lbs. The harness is properly attached and tightened, the child seat is in angle position 1, and I installed it the same way I did many times in my older Model S. I can't figure out why it's so wobbly (and therefore unsafe). Has anyone had a similar problem? We can also move to a booster at this point, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have the same car... and same car seat. No issues at all.

But I am using this:

If you can find one of these they work great. Though I recommend also installing a seat protector between the car seat and the car's seat :D