Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple small things

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got new silver Model S 75D last week.
Bunch of small things irritating me:

1. The voice search for streaming: Worked fine for 1 day but rest of time not so much. Is that kind of how it is?

2. Bunch of issues around lock/unlock behavior:
a) I have child lock feature enabled. So when I stop and put in park, shouldn't at least then people in rear seat be able to open doors?
b) Often times when I am inside the car, I get the message needs unlocked before driving. I am not sure when it happens. I end up unlocking car with key fob. I do have passive entry disabled, suspect because of that car cannot detect key. But I have passive entry disabled cuz I don't want handles to open and close everytime I am close and also because of the possibility of doors being able to be opened cuz key is somewhere close by. Is there a way to use fob to unlock and lock but then car knows when key is inside?
c) Went to store, while son and mother-in-law were in back seats. After about 20 mins, when son tried to open the door, car started alarming. What's the solution here? How to keep car unlocked?

I apologize for there questions. I have read some of these issues over the years. Never quite understood cuz I didn't have the car. Now that I am facing it, I am asking here. cuz searching for these is a little bit difficult with so many threads. Thanks for understanding.

1. Voice search for streaming can be hit or miss, but is pretty accurate when I do it (not often).
a) I don't use child locks, so can't help.
b)The car definitely knows when the FOB is in it regardless of unlocking behavior you have set. That's the only way it will allow you to power on to drive with foot on brake. Not sure why you are getting the message to unlock the car while in it. I've never seen that.
c) That is the way the car alarm works. If you have auto-lock enabled, the car will lock when the FOB is not in range. Passengers can still be inside, and when a door is opened, the alarm will sound. I learned this the hard way as well checking into a hotel with the family still in the car. Best practice I have found is leave the fob in the car with your passengers. It will not arm the alarm, and they can exit if needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: redy
1. Voice search for streaming can be hit or miss, but is pretty accurate when I do it (not often).
a) I don't use child locks, so can't help.
b)The car definitely knows when the FOB is in it regardless of unlocking behavior you have set. That's the only way it will allow you to power on to drive with foot on brake. Not sure why you are getting the message to unlock the car while in it. I've never seen that.
c) That is the way the car alarm works. If you have auto-lock enabled, the car will lock when the FOB is not in range. Passengers can still be inside, and when a door is opened, the alarm will sound. I learned this the hard way as well checking into a hotel with the family still in the car. Best practice I have found is leave the fob in the car with your passengers. It will not arm the alarm, and they can exit if needed.

Appreciate the help. Particularly with 2c. I think I'll leave FOB with passengers. Although I am not sue if autolock is enabled or not.

Another question. How do I know the temp inside the car? Tesla app gives interior temp but not always, its there in the app but not always.

Appreciate the help. Particularly with 2c. I think I'll leave FOB with passengers. Although I am not sue if autolock is enabled or not.

Another question. How do I know the temp inside the car? Tesla app gives interior temp but not always, its there in the app but not always.

The app will tell you once you start the HVAC. The temperature sensor (at least the main one) is located next to the 12V in the center console (perforations).

As far as the child lock, the purpose of it is to prevent children from exiting the vehicle so the rear door handles will not allow exit even in park (I believe -- my child is still in a car seat so there is no risk of her opening the door but she's demonstrated she is capable (along with lowering and closing the windows).

You can disable a car alarm by unlocking the car using the app or by pressing the lock/unlock at the top left of the touchscreen. Note, if you have the auto lock feature, it will eventually lock the car now regardless (I believe, I haven't tested as this added security layer was only recently added).

The alarm issue, I've read, is to either keep the fob in the car or keep it unlocked as was said. You'd think it would know people are still in the car but it doesn't. I've got mine turned off. It's not that great an alarm. Only works on open doors, as far as I can tell.

As for the 'need to unlock car' that is part of the side effect of turning 'Passive Entry' off. I've run into this myself and I believe it's a timeout on sitting in the car for a while (which I'm doing a lot on my new car playing with things.... :) ).

No problem asking questions, (1) there are a lot of combinations and (2) they change all the times (as with Passive Entry).

I thought I knew *everything*. Then I actually get a car, and they throw in new settings. And I'm sitting in the car in the garage playing with combinations of settings all night. :D

It's great to have everyone here to bounce questions and answers off each other....

Reactions: croman
The child locks are, as mentioned, to make sure the doors can't be opened from the inside. It doesn't matter if the car is in park or not. Someone will have to open them from the outside.

At least for me, the inside temperature is always visible in the app in the climate section. It doesn't matter if the AC is on or not. I haven't found a place that shows it in the car.

The child locks are, as mentioned, to make sure the doors can't be opened from the inside. It doesn't matter if the car is in park or not. Someone will have to open them from the outside.

At least for me, the inside temperature is always visible in the app in the climate section. It doesn't matter if the AC is on or not. I haven't found a place that shows it in the car.
I do assume the touchscreen can open the doors, just the FWD buttons can't... so, you can open the doors for your backseat people.

The temperature is a good one. I'm so used to seeing it in the app, and on TeslaFi, I don't know where you see it IN the car. It's a basic part of the API, but *Tesla* may not use it onboard for either one. Hm....

Edit: outside temp is on the ICU... inside temp you have to assume is what the climate control is set to, so perhaps that's why they don't show it separately. And do show it in the app.

Got new silver Model S 75D last week.
Bunch of small things irritating me:

1. The voice search for streaming: Worked fine for 1 day but rest of time not so much. Is that kind of how it is?
[...]

How do you define not working?
If it accurately recognizes what you ask for but plays something different, yeah, that's Slacker. Over 80% of songs will play on your first try if you haven't tried that song in the last week. There are a few artists (Metallica) that seem less likely to work than others. Most songs will not play again in the next couple days. Somewhere 2-4 days out it'll start getting reliable again. It's clearly not a simple rule of "no repeats in 48 hours", and I don't know what all the rules are.

If it does not recognize what you're asking for, there are a number of possibilities:
poor internet connection wherever you are
your car's processor is overworked doing something else [I can never figure out what, but sometimes everything is slow to respond]
some other, perhaps server-side issue

How do you define not working?
If it accurately recognizes what you ask for but plays something different, yeah, that's Slacker. Over 80% of songs will play on your first try if you haven't tried that song in the last week. There are a few artists (Metallica) that seem less likely to work than others. Most songs will not play again in the next couple days. Somewhere 2-4 days out it'll start getting reliable again. It's clearly not a simple rule of "no repeats in 48 hours", and I don't know what all the rules are.

If it does not recognize what you're asking for, there are a number of possibilities:
poor internet connection wherever you are
your car's processor is overworked doing something else [I can never figure out what, but sometimes everything is slow to respond]
some other, perhaps server-side issue

It doesn't even go into the listening mode. Sometimes says try again on the IC. Sometimes just spins without the person listening ever appearing. So other than that one day, most of the time it just never even goes into listening mode.

It doesn't even go into the listening mode. Sometimes says try again on the IC. Sometimes just spins without the person listening ever appearing. So other than that one day, most of the time it just never even goes into listening mode.
Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. Seems to me like it happens when the processor is burdened with something else. I generally reboot everything: push in both wheels for a few seconds until one screen restarts, then push down the top button for a few seconds until the other screen restarts.

I know this sounds silly, but be sure you are pressing the button above the right scroll wheel momentarily. When I first got the car I was pressing the scroll wheel to try to get this to work for some unknown reason. Also note that the microphone is in the rearview mirror mount -- yelling at the steering wheel is not productive.

I think maybe the issue about unlocking the car before driving is maybe a miscommunication? Maybe it means unlock the car by pressing the brake, rather than just moving the shift lever? If you get in without pressing the brake and try to put it in "gear", it gives an error message -- can't remember if it is something worded as unlocking or not...

I think maybe the issue about unlocking the car before driving is maybe a miscommunication? Maybe it means unlock the car by pressing the brake, rather than just moving the shift lever? If you get in without pressing the brake and try to put it in "gear", it gives an error message -- can't remember if it is something worded as unlocking or not...
No, this is definitely Passive Entry disabled timeout. If you haven’t tried it, you need to. :D

If you get in the car and don’t do anything for X seconds (30? Seems to be variable), you then need to actually double click on the fob. Pressing on the brake gives you ‘need to unlock’. Been there, seen that.

No, this is definitely Passive Entry disabled timeout. If you haven’t tried it, you need to. :D

If you get in the car and don’t do anything for X seconds (30? Seems to be variable), you then need to actually double click on the fob. Pressing on the brake gives you ‘need to unlock’. Been there, seen that.
I'll try it. Obviously I have sat parked in the car for long-ish periods of time doing phone surfing, and I have never, ever had this happen. In a year and 27K miles.