Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Solaredge Inverters with Neo Gateway question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Medium Tesla solar subscription system installed and activated back in January of this year. Solaredge HD Wave screenless inverter. Came with a Neo Gateway (flat black box) that was all working fine.

I recently expanded solar production by having an additional Small system added, along with 2 Powerwalls. They added a second inverter, same HD Wave version as the first, along with the 2 PWs and a Gateway 2. Everything is functioning correctly, I can see all production/powerwall/house/grid usage in the Tesla app.

I still have the original Neo gateway up and running, so when I swipe past the Home Energy Gateway in the Tesla app, I can see the production info from the original Medium system. I'm wondering if there's a way to pair the second inverter to the original Neo gateway so I can separately see how much each system is producing. I.E. in the app, I would be able to swipe Car -> Home Energy Gateway -> Medium system -> Small system.

Tesla also gave me a second Neo gateway when they did the expansion. I tried plugging that one in and hooking it up to my router but it's stuck on No Signal, so I think they never configured the new inverter to talk to anything since the HEG is the primary way to see production info for both systems combined. If a single Neo gateway isn't capable of talking to two inverters I don't mind hooking up the second Neo gateway, but it seems like I'll still have to go through the pairing process. I'm also not sure, even if I get it paired with either of the Neo gateways, what it would take to get it to show up in the Tesla app.

I hope this all makes sense....can anyone offer any help or insight? Ultimately this is a "nice to have"...not super important, but if it's possible to see everything as described above I'd like to get it working.

It's definitely *possible* for the Home Gateway to pair with more than one inverter over Zigbee, mine collects data from both of my Delta Solivia's.

I honestly don't know how this actually gets configured on Tesla's side. In my Solar Roof v2 + PW setup they never gave me a Home Gateway. I bought one off eBay, plugged it in, and it paired with both inverters within minutes. Within a few days new FW got pushed to each inverter. When I wanted to better understand what data is sent from the inverters to the HG I bought a second one (to take apart), unplugged the first and plugged-in the second one. Within a day (I think I did it while the inverters were in Night Mode, but they continue to talk to the HG 24 hours a day) the inverters had both paired with the other unit. Of course my app data comes from my TEG (Tesla Energy Gateway), so I don't know that Tesla is actually doing anything with the data the HG is sending it, but it did at least know to push out new FW. I also happened to get a call from Tesla Service about a production concern around that time, no idea whether it was related to HG data or just a coincidence.

So it seemed to me like they'll happily pair with any inverter they can find (or at least any Tesla inverter, I know Tesla's Solivias run custom Tesla firmware and not Delta's standard FW). I would imagine Tesla keeps a list of the inverters that belong to my account, so it might have recognized that they belonged to me, though perhaps not.

If you're really seeing each HG only get one inverter, I'd wonder if Tesla did something to pair things on their side, or perhaps just having each inverter registered to a different account (install number, etc) on their side. I suspect you could try calling Tesla to see if they can combine them, not sure if you'll get anywhere with the request.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: destructure00
It's definitely *possible* for the Home Gateway to pair with more than one inverter over Zigbee, mine collects data from both of my Delta Solivia's.

I honestly don't know how this actually gets configured on Tesla's side. In my Solar Roof v2 + PW setup they never gave me a Home Gateway. I bought one off eBay, plugged it in, and it paired with both inverters within minutes. Within a few days new FW got pushed to each inverter. When I wanted to better understand what data is sent from the inverters to the HG I bought a second one (to take apart), unplugged the first and plugged-in the second one. Within a day (I think I did it while the inverters were in Night Mode, but they continue to talk to the HG 24 hours a day) the inverters had both paired with the other unit. Of course my app data comes from my TEG (Tesla Energy Gateway), so I don't know that Tesla is actually doing anything with the data the HG is sending it, but it did at least know to push out new FW. I also happened to get a call from Tesla Service about a production concern around that time, no idea whether it was related to HG data or just a coincidence.

So it seemed to me like they'll happily pair with any inverter they can find (or at least any Tesla inverter, I know Tesla's Solivias run custom Tesla firmware and not Delta's standard FW). I would imagine Tesla keeps a list of the inverters that belong to my account, so it might have recognized that they belonged to me, though perhaps not.

If you're really seeing each HG only get one inverter, I'd wonder if Tesla did something to pair things on their side, or perhaps just having each inverter registered to a different account (install number, etc) on their side. I suspect you could try calling Tesla to see if they can combine them, not sure if you'll get anywhere with the request.

Thanks for the reply. My original Neo is still up and running but the new inverter hasn't paired with it, no blue LED. I can try to leave the new Neo plugged in for a few days and see what happens. May be worth a call as you said, just wanted to see if I was missing something obvious here first.

I think that if you are going to get this to work if will definitely take some configuration on Tesla’s part.

A) the inverter needs to be configure to see the zigbee gateway. If you feel adventurous you might be able to do this by registering for a solaredge installer account and then trying to get configure the new inverter’s zigbee connection parameters to match the ones on your existing inverter. If you don’t want to do this, someone from tesla would need to come out to do it.

However, B) Tesla would need to do something on the back end to make that small system show up separately in your app. I have no idea if they would be willing to do this or not. Just getting the inverter connected to the gateway wouldn’t be enough since the systems on the back end wouldn’t know to associate that inverter with your account.

As far as I know, when you do a powerwall/solar install they typically don’t configure a separate section in the app for the solar only. I know with my powerwall/solar install I just have the home energy gateway section in the app. However, I did see a post from someone who had a solar only install first, then added powerwalls later and he has both sections, like you do with your original solar install.

So, the short version is... it’s probably technically possible to do what you want, but it’s not something that you’ll be able to do on your own. Tesla will need to configure it to get it to work and I have no idea if they would do that or not, since they typically don’t do that for a solar/powerwall install.

The other thing you might want to consider is asking tesla to set you up with a solaredge monitoring account and running an ethernet cable to your inverters to connect them to the internet. That way you could monitor each inverter as well as your individual panels through the solaredge app. There is another thread on here that talks about this.

The other thing you might want to consider is asking tesla to set you up with a solaredge monitoring account and running an ethernet cable to your inverters to connect them to the internet. That way you could monitor each inverter as well as your individual panels through the solaredge app. There is another thread on here that talks about this.

Makes sense...I wasn't sure if it would just appear in the app after connecting or what. Sounds like it's not worth pursuing.

I was just thinking about the SE account and app....ran Ethernet through my attic to the TEG yesterday, would be easy to add a switch and tie in the inverters as well. Will look for that other thread to see what needs to be done besides connecting the inverters. Thanks.