Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple warning messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst driving my M3 earlier today I received a warning message regarding automatic braking that I originally assumed was the fairly common regenerative braking message that is nothing to worry about and I just need to let the battery warm. A few minutes later the car warning tones were making more noise than Spotify and I have countless errors noted.
Stability Control, Automatic Braking, Parking etc.
The camera on turn signal is now black, as is the reversing camera.
Any ideas what the issue is?
I managed to make a booking at a Service Centre next week but have to say I don’t relish driving 60 miles with no safety systems and a very real concern that the issues migrate to standard controls!

Tried a reboot but started hearing warning tones before it finished rebooting. Will try roadside assistance - thanks for the tip
Np. Definitely worthwhile - they can do remote diagnostics and reboots or force update software etc. so if it’s something they can fix they will, but at the very least they’ll be able to tell you if it’s safe to drive or not.

Just been on phone to roadside assistance. They are adamant that it is safe to drive the 60 miles to the service centre. That’s despite the car having no active safety systems, systems continuing to file one by one (sentry being the most recent) and processes such as power down not working. Not sure what else to do. I was foreceful on the call but can’t force them to tow!

Apologies. For some reason my previous message just posted.
I decided to take some local trips prior to the haul to the service centre. Glad I did as the car threw a new load of errors including the brake and airbag warning lights now being illuminated. Call roadside again who tried a few more reset options and then arranged for a tow. Glad with the outcome, so far at least. Unfortunately the delay meant it was too late to get a loan car today. Will update once the fault is diagnosed in case it helps someone else in due course.

Reactions: ItsBlacknWhite
Apologies. For some reason my previous message just posted.
I decided to take some local trips prior to the haul to the service centre. Glad I did as the car threw a new load of errors including the brake and airbag warning lights now being illuminated. Call roadside again who tried a few more reset options and then arranged for a tow. Glad with the outcome, so far at least. Unfortunately the delay meant it was too late to get a loan car today. Will update once the fault is diagnosed in case it helps someone else in due course.
Guess would be some damage or water ingress to the wiring harness, often somewhere behind the wheel. If the canbus is playing up then all the services error as they can't communicate.

Could be water ingress but there are many examples of Teslas having all sorts of weird fault messages, often intermittently, caused by intermittent earth connections. Worth looking at the negative to chassis connection and the battery terminals.
With all the computerisation the shortest voltage drop can bring up these things.

Search is your friend.
I'd come across the link already but posted anew, partly so as not to resurrect a zombie thread, but also because my M3 is only 5 months old and from the info in that thread it seemed as though the issue had been designed out by now.
I'm genuinely grateful that you did share though. My boot strut was only replaced by a ranger last Tuesday and my faith in Tesla is fading fast. Support from the owners on this forum are about all that stands between me and selling up.

I would drive it if they say it’s okay. I used to own a Morris Minor 1962 and it didn’t have any safety systems and that was only 30 years ago when I was 17. I don’t think that I had a car made after 1978 until I was in my 20s. One of them I used to drive I had to pump the brakes to get them to work. I remember getting excited about have a near side mirror to use on one of my cars. Mind you I rode 1500 miles with a screw in my rear motorcycle tyre as I couldn’t afford a new one. It was flat but as it was a touring tyre you couldn’t tell unless cornering.

Anyway, I would drive it.

I would drive it if they say it’s okay. I used to own a Morris Minor 1962 and it didn’t have any safety systems and that was only 30 years ago when I was 17. I don’t think that I had a car made after 1978 until I was in my 20s. One of them I used to drive I had to pump the brakes to get them to work. I remember getting excited about have a near side mirror to use on one of my cars. Mind you I rode 1500 miles with a screw in my rear motorcycle tyre as I couldn’t afford a new one. It was flat but as it was a touring tyre you couldn’t tell unless cornering.

Anyway, I would drive it.
I'm also from the era of driving ancient cars, Austin A30, A40, even a '52 R-type Bentley but I'd think twice about driving any modern car with multiple error displays even more so with today's traffic. All you need is for traction control or ABS to throw a wobbly or even to find a sudden loss of power assisted steering or brakes to ruin your whole day. Contemporary folk don't drive with allowances for dodgy brakes and iffy suspension in their cars and the others on the road any more. I could regale you with tales of driving cars with maser brake cylinder failure or missing both middle cogs in the gearbox or intermittent servo assist on the anchors or the brake cable holding the back axle on 'cos the leaf spring had broken but there was far less on the road to avoid or get hit by and it travelled at slower speeds - And we were stupid.

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
I wonder what the insurance situation is as well, a condition of insurance is that the car is road worthy. Those faults would trigger a MOT failure on an older car.

I would certainly put things in writing to Tesla, email addresses can be found in this forum. Even if it doesn't get an appropriate response, it shows you clearly explained the situation.

I wasn’t completely averse to driving the car at all. I certainly would have felt ok in my previous car. I think it’s the level of reliance on electrical rather than manual systems that concerned me. It was also the distance and time of the journey. A short hop to the local shops when I knew the weather was good and the traffic quiet was one thing. Navigating the M6 in rush hour, potentially in the rain, with systems turning on and off, much less appealing!

Reactions: Wol747
If I wasn’t happy to drive the car I would phone repeatedly until someone listened and collected the car. If that failed then I would kick off on social media (polite but firmly) and copy Tesla in.

Or ask a woman to drive a few miles with you and get them to call Tesla roadside assistance.

It may work.