Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Munro Teardown Shows Model 3 Profitable With 30%+ Margins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see what the cost is of the SR base model3 and if it can be profitable. The model tested was a LR with the interior option package.

The other thing is how much the extra cost to push production volume up takes out of the bottom line.

In the comments it's said that Munro expects double digit margins for the base model.

I'd never seen Munro before although I'd heard of the company and the individual. I thought the video was remarkably factual (or at least, presenting what Munro regarded as fact, maybe more knowledgeable people would disagree). I was fascinated by his facts and opinions concerning first the body (which he thought had lots of fit and finish problems), then the drive (which he really liked), and finally the parts teardown (where he was quite impressed).

My absolute favorite was his line at the very end of the video, almost lost in the concluding music and graphics: "Like I say, a lot of crow being eaten around here."

I wound up thinking that Munro seems like a pretty professional, honest guy where you might disagree with his observations or conclusions but not because he set out to deliberately pump up or disparage the car he was analyzing.

Thanks for posting this video.

Alan

$49K * 0.70 = $34.3K

So you’d expect so given even LR+PUP would have a tiny gross margin at the base price.
I suggest taking the Munro figures with a pinch of salt, but just for giggles:

If the LR + PUP has a 30% profit margin then cost to build is ~ 35k
That implies that a base, $35k car has profit equal to manufacturer cost of the larger battery and the PUP.

I'd never seen Munro before although I'd heard of the company and the individual. I thought the video was remarkably factual (or at least, presenting what Munro regarded as fact, maybe more knowledgeable people would disagree). I was fascinated by his facts and opinions concerning first the body (which he thought had lots of fit and finish problems), then the drive (which he really liked), and finally the parts teardown (where he was quite impressed).

My absolute favorite was his line at the very end of the video, almost lost in the concluding music and graphics: "Like I say, a lot of crow being eaten around here."

I wound up thinking that Munro seems like a pretty professional, honest guy where you might disagree with his observations or conclusions but not because he set out to deliberately pump up or disparage the car he was analyzing.

Thanks for posting this video.

Alan
The first video turned me off--pointing out kind of stupid stuff (first responder loop difficulty, e.g.) along with valid criticisms. So I skipped #2, but this one is interesting. Keep in mind, their goal is to sell reports, so I think their attitude throughout was consistent with that aim: Hey, these guys need to hire us to show them how to make cars! Hey, the competitors to these guys need to hire us to show them how Tesla does it!

I’m under the impression Munro charges in the tens of thousands of dollars per segment of the report so I presume they guard it very carefully and it’s unlikely that one could find it floating around the Internet.

More than that. The cost to do a teardown is very expensive. He may just be trying to hype it up and sell more copies of the report.

Watched both in entirety and though very interesting. Yes the auto guy and his buddies have some problems comprehending things.... they really liked the conclusions from the first interview. Do they reveal their sponsors? Do they make any disclaimers as to financial ties like I do as a physician whenever I I’ve a talk? I like the munro guy, he seems more rational.

Watched both in entirety and though very interesting. Yes the auto guy and his buddies have some problems comprehending things.... they really liked the conclusions from the first interview. Do they reveal their sponsors? Do they make any disclaimers as to financial ties like I do as a physician whenever I I’ve a talk? I like the munro guy, he seems more rational.

Both? Is there a more comprehensive video than the 5:31 version linked above?