Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Munro Yoke Teardown ***spolier: no horn***

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon did say builds after Nov 2021 (I think).
So no big surprise unless they stated it was a newer wheel, I mean Yoke.
Watching the video it does not make sense that Tesla would spend all this R&D + tooling effort only to scrap it a few months after launch and introduce something totally new.

I wish the Munro folks said when their donor vehicle was manufactured.

Watching it now.
I've installed a few of these in my lifetime.
1648840817392.png

Reactions: zoomer0056
I wonder if Elon was just talking out of his ass again. Unless the Yoke used in the video was an old 2021 model and the design has radically changed. If that’s the case, anyone with a 2022 model should be able to pop the airbag off and confirm.

Sandy's Plaid is an early build before the conventional horn button/interface was added. He took delivery in early December 2021.

Reference to Elon's November claim: Tesla Model S and Model X steering yoke to receive push center for horn update

Reactions: glide
Just had my yoke replaced under warranty. June build and yoke model number ends in "-E". The tech said that the horn feature will be in the airbag module portion and not the yoke itself. The tech was trying to get me a new airbag module for it. My module would be from the June build and was not part of the recall campaign earlier.

I wish I had a new yoke. I don't have trouble learning new things and would probably like it.
I have 0 problems learning new things, love it, and as a product manager of 17+ years in tech companies, literally made a career out of it.

So, please trust me when I say, I think it's the WORST automotive decision made in the last 10 years; with 0 benefits, and a horde of downsides.

It should have been an after-market item, or an option for people who like it. Not the default and ONLY option for family sedans and SUVs

Just had my yoke replaced under warranty. June build and yoke model number ends in "-E". The tech said that the horn feature will be in the airbag module portion and not the yoke itself. The tech was trying to get me a new airbag module for it. My module would be from the June build and was not part of the recall campaign earlier.

My build is August 2021, so no center button. However I had the airbag replaced last month due to the recall. Does this mean I may now have the center button?

I wish I had a new yoke. I don't have trouble learning new things and would probably like it.

You would love it. It is truly one of the best features on the car. Pushing 34k miles and not one issue. This is my opinion just as the hyperbole above is an opinion. Hopefully you will get a chance to decide for yourself instead of the drama bench deciding for you.

You would love it. It is truly one of the best features on the car. Pushing 34k miles and not one issue. This is my opinion just as the hyperbole above is an opinion. Hopefully you will get a chance to decide for yourself instead of the drama bench deciding for you.
Nope, believe you me that i have 0 interest in drama for the most expensive (by far) car I've owned; after driving 100s of them in the last 20 years.

If you don't mind me asking: where do you live? Urban city? Suburbs/Rural?

Nope, believe you me that i have 0 interest in drama for the most expensive (by far) car I've owned; after driving 100s of them in the last 20 years.

If you don't mind me asking: where do you live? Urban city? Suburbs/Rural?

I am not getting into a pissing match on my opinion. All I can state is that I have driven through 18 states - almost 34k miles. Mostly east of the Mississippi. but some west. Live in the suburb but drive downtown a few times per week. Can drive two dozen roundabouts per day. Have parallel parked numerous times. I have a driving resume to be able to speak to my skills and opinion.

No issues. No near misses. No accidents. One curb was due to me not paying a attention and would have been hit regardless of the shape of the wheel. This has been the easiest car for me to drive. The yoke has the best view of the dash of any car. While I think a center horn button would be best, I have had to honk twice in an emergency and both times, the horn button was right where I left it on the yoke. I use my signals 100% of the time - even in my neighborhood (yes, I am a nerd). It is just a nothingburger.

Not saying it is a perfect design but for me it is great and I would buy the car again with a yoke. I was one of the first to get it here last June. Up until delivery day, I had my anxiety on whether it would kill me or not, After five minutes of driving, I never thought of it again.

The hyperbole and drama is in the words used and stating opinion as fact.

You realize this is also your opinion, right?

And that the vast majority of owners see no benefit from the yoke/stalk-less design, and that it has been thrashed in every bit of press about the vehicle?

I am pretty sure I understand that is my opinion. That is why I called it my opinion. It was based on my opinion and experience - I never stated otherwise.

Reactions: kazamm