Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Muscle memory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
Drove my TT for the first time in months yesterday. Quite enjoyed it actually. I was feeling pleased with myself for dropping back easily into driving a manual ICE car again - until it came time to reverse.... I turned the windscreen wipers on and then shot forward when I brought the clutch up!? Thankfully, apart from looking like an arse to the guy next to me, no damage done.

Amazing thing is muscle memory!

First time I drove my wife's SUV after having my 3 for a few weeks I had a mini panic when I let off the gas and didn't slow down via regen. It was weird to transition back. Over time though I've gotten used to going back and forth and seem to adapt to either one without thinking about it anymore. Luckily her SUV uses the same shifter stalk as the 3 so no issues with messing up gears. Only thing I'm still not used to is having to shut it off after parking....I've started to walk away from it several times while it's still running :D

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Drove my TT for the first time in months yesterday. Quite enjoyed it actually. I was feeling pleased with myself for dropping back easily into driving a manual ICE car again - until it came time to reverse.... I turned the windscreen wipers on and then shot forward when I brought the clutch up!? Thankfully, apart from looking like an arse to the guy next to me, no damage done.

Amazing thing is muscle memory!
So many times just lately lol

Am I the only one trying to get out of a different car and reach for the button and not a door handle?

Also...drove the wife's manual focus the other day, so much effort involved, gears, clutch, having to pay attention and manually adjust my speed based on cars around...one upside...auto windscreen wipers worked

I still drive my A6 and, while I love my M3, it shows that Tesla has a lot of catching up to do in many areas. The A6 is much quieter and more refined at anything over 30mph, the matrix headlights are fantastic, the windscreen wipers work perfectly. Adaptive cruise control is much smoother than TACC when accelerating and decelerating, and I absolutely never experience phantom braking. Some of this is basic stuff that Tesla really ought to get right.

• Informative
Reactions: pdk42
I still drive my A6 and, while I love my M3, it shows that Tesla has a lot of catching up to do in many areas. The A6 is much quieter and more refined at anything over 30mph, the matrix headlights are fantastic, the windscreen wipers work perfectly. Adaptive cruise control is much smoother than TACC when accelerating and decelerating, and I absolutely never experience phantom braking. Some of this is basic stuff that Tesla really ought to get right.
The difference is that the A6 will never improve, whereas the M3 gets new software every few weeks! There's no way I'd happily go back to my GTI with its functional auto wipers.

Reactions: destructure00
The difference is that the A6 will never improve, whereas the M3 gets new software every few weeks! There's no way I'd happily go back to my GTI with its functional auto wipers.

That’s very true, except software updates can’t improve the intrusive wind noise and tyre noise at speed. Also, every software update so far has failed to completely sort out the crappy wipers, the slow to react headlights and the barely fit for purpose TACC.

Reactions: Bernard_S
That’s very true, except software updates can’t improve the intrusive wind noise and tyre noise at speed. Also, every software update so far has failed to completely sort out the crappy wipers, the slow to react headlights and the barely fit for purpose TACC.
Haha I debated whether to add those exact caveats to my comment! =)
There is zero doubt in my mind that the software will get there. The wipers are already a lot better than they were when I collected the car less than 2 months ago. And comparing the interior noise with an A6 (which is the next step up in luxury) isn't entirely fair (by all accounts the Model S is quieter than the Model 3). Compared to my 2007 GTI, the M3 is gloriously quiet.

Haha I debated whether to add those exact caveats to my comment! =)
There is zero doubt in my mind that the software will get there. The wipers are already a lot better than they were when I collected the car less than 2 months ago. And comparing the interior noise with an A6 (which is the next step up in luxury) isn't entirely fair (by all accounts the Model S is quieter than the Model 3). Compared to my 2007 GTI, the M3 is gloriously quiet.

Yes, I agree that software will get there eventually, a bit like British Rail! The frustrating thing, though, is that the car is deficient on some really basic things that other manufacturers have got right for years.

The A6 certainly knocks the spots off the M3 in terms of comfort and refinement, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a step above. My car is not far off top of the range, and after securing a 22% discount through an online broker it cost £8k less than my M3P. I do think the M3 is disappointingly unrefined for a car costing more than £50k.

Yes, I agree that software will get there eventually, a bit like British Rail! The frustrating thing, though, is that the car is deficient on some really basic things that other manufacturers have got right for years.

The A6 certainly knocks the spots off the M3 in terms of comfort and refinement, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a step above. My car is not far off top of the range, and after securing a 22% discount through an online broker it cost £8k less than my M3P. I do think the M3 is disappointingly unrefined for a car costing more than £50k.
The A6 is a step above in the sense that it's the next family up from the A4 (which I'm assuming to be the equivalent of the M3 from a product marketing perspective -- I could be wrong). And the fact it costs less than the M3 is in my opinion more a reflection of the commoditisation of the car itself and all its components. Battery prices are dropping rapidly, and constitute a very significant proportion of the cost of the M3.

Although I agree with you about the £50k, the way I choose to see it is the A6 has 25 years worth of refinements and is manufactured by a 110 year-old company, whereas the M3 is a 2 year-old car made by a 17 year-old company (that has gone through an insane amount of growth during that time). That's what makes it amazing in my opinion, and why owning a Tesla is "special" to a degree, because you are part of something new and different. Imagine what a 2040 Tesla will be like, if the 2019 ones are as good as they already are!

...all of the above doesn't mean your issues aren't annoying to you!

I completely agree with you regarding the wipers and auto headlights, but curious as to what some seem to not like about TACC as it’s one of the features I don’t have any issues with.

My partner drove my M3 to her parents place over Christmas with me as passenger. Usually she drives a non-electric automatic car with drive/reverse etc. in the middle, and for long journeys (which this was) she has a couple of cans of Red Bull with her.

Every time she went to select drive/reverse in the M3 she'd end up grabbing an empty Red Bull can whilst trying to reach for where the gear selection would be on her car :D