TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Museums with electric cars

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by 21miDay, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 21miDay

21miDay Member

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum has an 1899 Waverley Stanhope Phaeton and I was floored by the building that housed the museum. From their web site: "The former international headquarters administration building of the Auburn Automobile Company".

Home - Automobile Museum

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

There are several electric cars at the National Automobile Museum in Reno too.

3. 21miDay

21miDay Member

P1000037.JPG P1000036.JPG P1000038.JPG The LeMay collection at Marymount has a 1914 Detroit Electric Priscilla Coupe with a charging station and a 1980 Vanguard CommutaCar. If I remember correctly they have more than just those two. Maybe someone else can add to the list.

lemaymarymount

4. 21miDay

21miDay Member

5. 21miDay

21miDay Member

I'll have to plan a trip to see those.

6. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Very curiously, a superb auto museum with an excellent sampling of electric vehicles is in Fairbanks. We suggest all our guests consider the Wedgwood Auto Museum as a different kind of experience for visitors to Alaska. The museum has an Alaska theme, but its owner-collector's main emphasis has been the 1880-1930 era...great vehicles!
    Up first, a 1912 living-room-on-wheels: IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0753.jpg IMG_0751.JPG

7. AudubonB

Next - a 1913 Argo. IMG_0754.jpg Gotta love the woman-man distinction to the marketing. I couldn't be sure of capturing the poster for it in one shot, so it's frustrating - but worthwhile! - to read:
    IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0757.jpg

Attached Files:

8. AudubonB

One more of the Argo's interior: IMG_0758.jpg

9. AudubonB

#9 AudubonB, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    And here is one of the very electric vehicles earliest ever, surviving or else wise - a 1903 Columbia: IMG_0760.jpg IMG_0761.jpg IMG_0762.jpg

Dual rear-wheel drive! Can't beat that! And a battery-swap technology! And who amongst us knew that "Exide" comes from "Excellent oxide"? (although that 1899 Waverly - also a Pope - pictured in post #1 is even older)

Of especial note: Look at the driving range of these samples! How far we....haven't...come in the subsequent century!

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  11. 21miDay

21miDay Member

I found that in a recent search. I hadn't heard of that before but now it is on my list to visit with family members when they come out.

12. RDoc

RDoc S85D

There are at least two at the Lars Anderson museum in Boston

13. gregd

gregd Active Member

Another from the LeMay collection in Washington St. Visited them in 2016. They're open to the public one day every year, last Saturday in August, I think. A must-see.

This one, fortunately, never caught on:

DSC02094.JPG

DSC02093.JPG

14. 21miDay

21miDay Member

They have regular hours now. This is from their web site:

Tuesday-Saturday: 9:00am-5:00pm
    Sunday: 12:00pm-5:00pm
    Monday: CLOSED

Maybe there's something extra on the day that you mention. Update - they have an auto show on the last Saturday in August according to the web site.

15. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I was there a year ago September and was amazed at the scope and variety of the collection, especially since most of them were cars (or examples of car types) that had been used in Fairbanks. Especially interesting to me were the air-cooled Franklins that could operate in winter without problems with coolant freezing.

16. wws

wws Member

I was in Fairbanks a couple of years ago, and saw the same three electrics. They also have a Owen Magnetic hybrid. Fantastic museum with lots of one-of-a-kind cars.

Here in Silicon Valley, there is a Detroit Electric that lives in the trolley barn at the San Jose Historical Park. It showed up at the Cupertino Drive Electric event a couple of weeks ago.