Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Museums with electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

21miDay

Supporting Member
May 26, 2014
Phoenix
The Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum has an 1899 Waverley Stanhope Phaeton and I was floored by the building that housed the museum. From their web site: "The former international headquarters administration building of the Auburn Automobile Company".

Home - Automobile Museum

Attachments

• P1000031.JPG
    P1000031.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: rabar10
Very curiously, a superb auto museum with an excellent sampling of electric vehicles is in Fairbanks. We suggest all our guests consider the Wedgwood Auto Museum as a different kind of experience for visitors to Alaska. The museum has an Alaska theme, but its owner-collector's main emphasis has been the 1880-1930 era...great vehicles!
Up first, a 1912 living-room-on-wheels:
IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0751.JPG

Reactions: wws
Next - a 1913 Argo.
IMG_0754.jpg
Gotta love the woman-man distinction to the marketing. I couldn't be sure of capturing the poster for it in one shot, so it's frustrating - but worthwhile! - to read:
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: wws
And here is one of the very electric vehicles earliest ever, surviving or else wise - a 1903 Columbia:
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg

Dual rear-wheel drive! Can't beat that! And a battery-swap technology! And who amongst us knew that "Exide" comes from "Excellent oxide"? (although that 1899 Waverly - also a Pope - pictured in post #1 is even older)

Of especial note: Look at the driving range of these samples! How far we....haven't...come in the subsequent century!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wws and Brando
Another from the LeMay collection in Washington St. Visited them in 2016. They're open to the public one day every year, last Saturday in August, I think. A must-see.

They have regular hours now. This is from their web site:

Tuesday-Saturday: 9:00am-5:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm-5:00pm
Monday: CLOSED

Maybe there's something extra on the day that you mention. Update - they have an auto show on the last Saturday in August according to the web site.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Next - a 1913 Argo.View attachment 252799 Gotta love the woman-man distinction to the marketing. I couldn't be sure of capturing the poster for it in one shot, so it's frustrating - but worthwhile! - to read:
View attachment 252801 View attachment 252802
I was there a year ago September and was amazed at the scope and variety of the collection, especially since most of them were cars (or examples of car types) that had been used in Fairbanks. Especially interesting to me were the air-cooled Franklins that could operate in winter without problems with coolant freezing.

• Love
I was there a year ago September and was amazed at the scope and variety of the collection, especially since most of them were cars (or examples of car types) that had been used in Fairbanks. Especially interesting to me were the air-cooled Franklins that could operate in winter without problems with coolant freezing.

I was in Fairbanks a couple of years ago, and saw the same three electrics. They also have a Owen Magnetic hybrid. Fantastic museum with lots of one-of-a-kind cars.

Here in Silicon Valley, there is a Detroit Electric that lives in the trolley barn at the San Jose Historical Park. It showed up at the Cupertino Drive Electric event a couple of weeks ago.

• Love