Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music - album cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basic question. I'm considering a Tesla, and I'm interested in playing my music (either from my iPhone or on a USB drive), and would like the Album Cover Art to display on the screen. Does that work? I'm not interested in using Apple Music or Spotify or any other program that will provide their own album cover art. I'd like to use the custom album cover art that I've added to my MP3 files (which are on my iPhone, or I could put them on a USB drive). Thank you!

I can't answer your question directly (I don't use USB and I have Android, and I mostly listen to podcasts from my phone these days anyway), but no, this is not a feature of the audio player, at least not in a way that I suspect would be satisfying you. Even when in "full screen" mode (which may not even exist any more with the latest update -- boy am I sure proving myself not qualified to answer this question, as I don't have that update either!) you don't get nice album art, but rather just a bunch of words on the screen. Boring! Like you I thought it would be great to take advantage of that lovely screen with a nice large album art display. But apparently Tesla doesn't agree.

Well, after 4.5 years with the car I guess I've learned to live with it. It's not a showstopper for me. I guess I'm even more disappointed that the audio player UI simply looks incredibly basic. It seems to be one area of the UI that the development team never seems to focus on.

Can't answer in regards to Apple Music yet, but if your MP3 files on a USB drive have the art embedded as metadata in the file, it will show on the screen. But only in the form of a fairly small (maybe 100 pixels square) thumbnail image - no bigger. The USB UX is abysmal and I hate it with a passion (since 98% of what I listen to is off of an SSD).

Thank you for the responses. I was hoping Tesla would have a better setup for the music art, given how advanced they are with so many other technical aspects. This seems like such as an easy and small thing for them, but would be a big plus for consumers. Hopefully this is something that they fix.

No. But yes, sorta.

As others noted, it does technically display album art right now, but Tesla often disables this functionality, sometimes for years at a time! And there's a good chance they will disable it again tomorrow. But yes, as of tonight, album art is "displayed" although you cannot see it, it's just a tiny square that's kinda the color of the album.

Also you can't select an artist to play from USB, and you can't reliably browse your collection, use voice commands to search, or even resume USB access after parking. In other words, Tesla's MP3 development is at about the same level that the Microsoft Zune was in 1937. Not yet started.

Tesla forces you to give up on vinyl and MP3 and all that archaic stuff your grandpa used to listen to when he was a kid. It's all streaming nowadays.